Compare: Droid X vs Droid 2. Which to go with?

bigboss

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I don't see any reason to get a d2 over the DX. Unless you need a physical keyboard, DX trumps the d2 in evey aspect.

If you want a smaller screen, poorer quality camera, and a physical keyboard slower than swype, I guess go with a d2.

Glad to see you made the right decision

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mflynn

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't see any reason to get a d2 over the DX. Unless you need a physical keyboard, DX trumps the d2 in evey aspect.
Not really, its more personal preference because the specs on both phones are nearly identical.

If you want a smaller screen, poorer quality camera, and a physical keyboard slower than swype, I guess go with a d2.
Lower pixels or lower quality images. Less pixels does not equate to a worse picture. sensor size, ability to handle low light, speed and of course how sharp the images dictate image quality more then pixels at this point.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Less pixels does not equate to a worse picture.

Amen! I'd like to see a comparison between the two phones myself, I'm curious to see if the D2 has better image quality than the X (all things being equal it should, larger pixel size generally means better quality pixels). For my use, anything more than 3.2MP is overkill. That's about 2048x1536 which will fill any of my computer's screens and I can get decent quality prints if I wanted. Heck, many prints will be shrunk down to forum post size (<0.5MP) making even 3.2MP overkill. If I'm shooting something I need to print at a size larger than 8.5x11" I'd pull out my DSLR.

Back on topic: As for whether the right choice was made, that's a personal decision. It's about your needs and what fits well for you. From my perspective the DX is the right choice for my own needs, but the D2 would be better if I didn't like the thinness of the X (which was a problem until I got used to it) and the screen size makes it more difficult to operate one handed. If the D2 had a Blackberry quality keyboard it would be a much harder decision, but the phones are largely identical so it's personal choice rather than right or wrong.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Amen! I'd like to see a comparison between the two phones myself, I'm curious to see if the D2 has better image quality than the X (all things being equal it should, larger pixel size generally means better quality pixels). For my use, anything more than 3.2MP is overkill. That's about 2048x1536 which will fill any of my computer's screens and I can get decent quality prints if I wanted. Heck, many prints will be shrunk down to forum post size (

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
The X is for play, the 2 is all business.

From my phone using Tapatalk

I don't think you are completely right by saying so matter-a-factly that the dx is for play and the d2 is for work. I have my dx and i use it for both. It's an emailing wonder while i can stream my social networks and res feeds all day. The dx is a great companion for work and for play.

johntkong

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Neither, the Blur that Moto tries to pretend isnt blur stinks! Causes lots of bugs and conflict with other market apps, especially social networking apps...

You can not use the moto blur widgets and just stick with the social ones. I'll grant you the moto blur does make the phone look a bit juvenile but that's the beauty of android. You can tweak it until you like it.

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you are completely right by saying so matter-a-factly that the dx is for play and the d2 is for work. I have my dx and i use it for both. It's an emailing wonder while i can stream my social networks and res feeds all day. The dx is a great companion for work and for play.

I'm not saying it can't be used for work, it's just so much better at the play than the 2 is. It can be just as good at the work as the 2, but I make the comparison because of how deficient the 2 is.

WAldenIV

MacGyver Wannabe
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not saying it can't be used for work, it's just so much better at the play than the 2 is. It can be just as good at the work as the 2, but I make the comparison because of how deficient the 2 is.

The X is better for play than the D2, but neither is better for work. They are equal.

Google did license "droid" from Lucas. Your sig makes no sense.

CSI Guy

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I could not decide which to buy so I bought both the X and the D2. Both are great and both work as advertised. No issues with either unit. I use the D2 as my everyday carry and the X when I can stop the car and place orders on its big screen. Great uses for both.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
The X is better for play than the D2, but neither is better for work. They are equal.

Verizon licensed the Droid term, not Google. Unless I'm grossly mistaken...?

To the folks commenting on the camera:
Its funny you guys bring that up, because I was just thinking the SAME exact thing. Has anyone actually done a picture comparison that proves that the DX has a significant advantage in stills over the D2? Because all I've seen thus far are a bunch of subjective, and in many times, baseless opinions.

I'm assuming no one on an Android site needs a lesson on the (in)significance of megapixels.

steevereeno

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
You can not use the moto blur widgets and just stick with the social ones. I'll grant you the moto blur does make the phone look a bit juvenile but that's the beauty of android. You can tweak it until you like it.

The tweaking is what pulled me away from blackberry and I'll never go back. I installed Launcher Pro shortly after buying my X and it's like an entirely new phone now, not to mention much quicker. I have no semblance of blur left on my phone at all. As for the keyboard, I agree that BB makes awesome physical ones but I can type far faster and more effortlessly with swype.

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site

Its funny you guys bring that up, because I was just thinking the SAME exact thing. Has anyone actually done a picture comparison that proves that the DX has a significant advantage in stills over the D2? Because all I've seen thus far are a bunch of subjective, and in many times, baseless opinions.

I'm assuming no one on an Android site needs a lesson on the (in)significance of megapixels.

Well I do think the X would have the better camera as it does have an actual mechanical shutter, I dont believe the D2 has that...

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

I never said google licensed it. I'm saying their lack of licensing the term like VZW did is what made the Nexus One inferior. Rather, I insinuated something as superficial as that being the reason why. You didn't get the joke. :p

ardoreal

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

White balancing is handled better on the X, as is CMOS light saturation. The sampling rate is higher thanks to the revised CMOS as well. Shutter is mechanical, lens isn't laminated into the housing. Etc etc etc.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. So the X's camera should be better theoretically, but what about in practice? Are there any comparison shots?

Ryobi

Banned
Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
I had to check out the D2 today. What a waste of time that was. Unless it was a dud or something. It seems like a toy compared to the X. I guess if the X wasn't around I might get the D2, but hell no. Not with the beast (X) in town.

sweetsmuckers

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I will go check out the droid 2 myself tomorrow, either at my local best buy or the vz corporate store near me. But even after that, I am still sticking to my DX because of everything I can do with it :)

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I had to check out the D2 today. What a waste of time that was. Unless it was a dud or something. It seems like a toy compared to the X. I guess if the X wasn't around I might get the D2, but hell no. Not with the beast (X) in town.

Lol! I was too in a verizon store and I wanted to check one out, but they were super busy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrussellcampbell