Considering Abandoning Android?

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
This is a painful thing to confess, because I'm surrounded at work and with family by iPhone and iPad users, and I've evangelised for years about the technical and philosophical superiority of Android over iOS.

I used to use (and love) an iPhone 4 and the iPod touch of the same year, but jumped ship to the Samsung Galaxy S3 due to the flexibility of Android, the larger, better screens, replaceable batteries (I'm in the army, and this is an invaluable quality for me) and sheer choice of handsets.

I transitioned through a mostly excellent HTC One m8 (HATED the camera) and now I have a UK LG-G3 on EE. I'm fully immersed in the Android ecosystem, with an LG G Pad 8.3, Pegatron Tesco Hudl 2 and LG G Watch R.

The trouble is, that apart from the G Pad (which is only used by the children and is still on KK), they all lag like hell, crash all the time and do NOT make for a nice user experience.

The G Watch R is CONSTANTLY disconnecting from my LG G3 (on lollipop) which is usually in my pocket or within easy reach, and the watch UI is really slow and many times a day refuses to respond, needing restarting.

My LG G3 is absolutely HORRIBLE to use now, lagging and stuttering ever since getting lollipop, despite spending days on forums such as these and XDA trying every recommended "fix" or "workaround".

Nothing has worked and I'm currently using Nova Launcher to keep me away from the stock LG launcher which redraws every time I swipe between home screens.

When jumping from app to app, it can regularly take up to 8 seconds, to just go from (for example) the gallery to Gmail.

It also gets outrageously hot when doing the simplest of tasks, to the point that I won't let my young children hold it when it's doing this. The battery can simply exsanguinate sometimes, when I've already closed all background functions, and the battery monitor just tells me that the screen and android UI are using it. Activating "Google Now" takes a good few seconds between pressing the button and it starting. It's more like "Google Eventually".

If I have to hand my phone over to someone to demo something or let them use it, they always express disbelief that someone so passionate about mobile technology owns something so sluggish.

I rooted my phone in order to try backing it up and installing some version of Cyanogenmod, but the backup processes failed somehow and now my phone won't even let me perform a factory reset. I can't find anyone who (for love or money) can fix this problem, and upon speaking to LG, they just want me to send the phone back to them, which would obviously show that I'd rooted it.

I've basically fallen out of love with Android, because although the basic concept is still far (to me) superior, in reality it's a sluggish mess, where even an LG phone and an LG watch (of the same generation) won't play nicely together.

I know there are plenty of others out there who are hating what LG and Google have done with their lollipop update for the G3.

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm starting to feel that I'd enjoy using an iPhone 6 plus, even though I'd miss loads about Android.

I don't want to do this, but what are my options?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I hate using this as an answer, but here it is: Device matters - and it matters a lot. If we are looking for a stable and lag free experience, we want as close to a "stock" experience as possible. This means Nexus (or the new Moto X whenever they announce the darned thing), the Moto 360 or Urbane or ZenWatch, the NVIDIA Shield tablet or Nexus 9, etc. Specs drive some things, but software is what makes the ecosystem. Another point though - iOS is definitely becoming better at working with Android and Google's services, so you've little to lose by giving them a shot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teresa Belmonte