Considering Root, but using a Mac

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey all-

It's been a few years since I took the rooting plunge on my old Samsung Epic 4G and HTC Evo (the OG one), and man...a LOT has changed since then. I'm really excited at possibility of achieving root and flashing Beans11 build (wanting highly customizable features, while retaining a functioning device, ie. runs like stock), but one thing that I haven't really been able to find is a "one click" method that works for mac. I'm not really fluent in using the terminal for things like this (if it's even possible), and I don't really ahve access to a Windows PC for using Odin. Are there any methods that will work on a MBP, without having to install Windows on Bootcamp? (Which I don't mind doing, but I would rather not have to...)

Thanks!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hey all-

It's been a few years since I took the rooting plunge on my old Samsung Epic 4G and HTC Evo (the OG one), and man...a LOT has changed since then. I'm really excited at possibility of achieving root and flashing Beans11 build (wanting highly customizable features, while retaining a functioning device, ie. runs like stock), but one thing that I haven't really been able to find is a "one click" method that works for mac. I'm not really fluent in using the terminal for things like this (if it's even possible), and I don't really ahve access to a Windows PC for using Odin. Are there any methods that will work on a MBP, without having to install Windows on Bootcamp? (Which I don't mind doing, but I would rather not have to...)

Thanks!!
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=245094
[HOW TO] Use all rooting tools on Mac!!

There is only one way to do it if you want to run custom roms. You need to root and unlock the bootloader.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2118348
[Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] CASUAL One-Click -- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=245094
[HOW TO] Use all rooting tools on Mac!!

There is only one way to do it if you want to run custom roms. You need to root and unlock the bootloader.

[Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] CASUAL One-Click -- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux - xda-developers
[Jailbreak][Root][Recovery] CASUAL One-Click -- update 17MAR13:Windows/Linux

Thanks for that. The first link was a helpful refresher in Windows through a VM, but I might try to avoid that (as VM's never worked right for me), and just go Bootcamp (if need be). The second link is what I'm looking for it seems, although it seems a bit unstable I might just have to either find a Windows PC from someone or just Bootcamp Windows on my MBP.

Again...thanks for the help!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that. The first link was a helpful refresher in Windows through a VM, but I might try to avoid that (as VM's never worked right for me), and just go Bootcamp (if need be). The second link is what I'm looking for it seems, although it seems a bit unstable I might just have to either find a Windows PC from someone or just Bootcamp Windows on my MBP.

The second link is your only option there are no other options on unlicking your boot loader which is a must in order to run a custom rom.

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The second link is your only option there are no other options on unlicking your boot loader which is a must in order to run a custom rom.

Yea I know you have to unlock the bootloader in order to install a ROM, I was just hoping to do it without using Windows (not a fan...). After perusing the thread it looks like it'll work on a mac, but I'd rather not chance it. I'm just gonna find someone with a Windows machine I can use.

Thanks again for your help!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yea I know you have to unlock the bootloader in order to install a ROM, I was just hoping to do it without using Windows (not a fan...). After perusing the thread it looks like it'll work on a mac, but I'd rather not chance it. I'm just gonna find someone with a Windows machine I can use.

Thanks again for your help!
Ok cool, just want to make sure you didnt have to go through the whole unauthorized software ordeal.
Good luck , let me know if you need any more help

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok cool, just want to make sure you didnt have to go through the whole unauthorized software ordeal.
Good luck , let me know if you need any more help

Actually a little more help would be nice :). So Adam over on XDA updated CASUAL to actually work with macs (sweeeeet!!) and it runs, but it's getting stuck at the "Setting up interface..." portion. The phone is in downloading mode (android logo, "downloading...do not turn off target!!"), and then hangs there until I do a battery pull. I have updated everything, rebooted everything, tried both USB ports and the OEM and Nexus 7 cables, and yet.....nothing. Do I need to boot into ADB (voldown+home+power) before I run CASUAL (I thought that was only if you were running Odin...)?

Any help would be awesome :)

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Actually a little more help would be nice :). So Adam over on XDA updated CASUAL to actually work with macs (sweeeeet!!) and it runs, but it's getting stuck at the "Setting up interface..." portion. The phone is in downloading mode (android logo, "downloading...do not turn off target!!"), and then hangs there until I do a battery pull. I have updated everything, rebooted everything, tried both USB ports and the OEM and Nexus 7 cables, and yet.....nothing. Do I need to boot into ADB (voldown+home+power) before I run CASUAL (I thought that was only if you were running Odin...)?

Any help would be awesome :)

When its in download mode you are suppose to flash the first file with odin. But with a Mac I don't know how do to that . Ill take a look at his update and see what I can find

Edit: Adam is a person who assumes everyone should just figure things out and that his instructions are always clear, so don't feel bad if he calls you a noob or something. It looks like casual sets up heimdall which is an alternative to odin. I'm assuming in the new download the files needed are included. Casuals instructions should tell you to flash something with heimdall.
Try starting over and read the directions it spits out carefully it may say something about using heimdall. Let me know what it says. When im in front of a computer tomorrow ill download the new casual and see what files it contains.

Last edited:

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
When its in download mode you are suppose to flash the first file with odin. But with a Mac I don't know how do to that . Ill take a look at his update and see what I can find

Edit: Adam is a person who assumes everyone should just figure things out and that his instructions are always clear, so don't feel bad if he calls you a noob or something. It looks like casual sets up heimdall which is an alternative to odin. I'm assuming in the new download the files needed are included. Casuals instructions should tell you to flash something with heimdall.
Try starting over and read the directions it spits out carefully it may say something about using heimdall. Let me know what it says. When im in front of a computer tomorrow ill download the new casual and see what files it contains.

I have heimdall installed, rebooted everything, and that's where I'm at. It doesn't get past the "setting up interface..." portion, which is right at the very beginning of the process (I'm assuming). As far as I know the new version contains everything. Adam said this morning on a G+ comment thread we had that I'm not the only one having issues. Mac version apparently works for some and not for others. Unfortunately, I'm in the "others" camp. haha

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

Im the one that wrote that thread and ive done everything in a VM and it all works great. If you would like help lmk we can screen share or something

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Im the one that wrote that thread and ive done everything in a VM and it all works great. If you would like help lmk we can screen share or something

I know it'll probably work fine, especially since the last time I used a VM was on an older mac that had some problems to begin with. With this being (technically) my work computer, and the only one I have around, I don't know if I want to take the chance of something not working or messing up.

Last time I went on rooting adventures, I seem to remember ways to do the process through using Terminal. Is there not a way to root and unlock without using Odin or CASUAL?

crl95

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I know it'll probably work fine, especially since the last time I used a VM was on an older mac that had some problems to begin with. With this being (technically) my work computer, and the only one I have around, I don't know if I want to take the chance of something not working or messing up.

Last time I went on rooting adventures, I seem to remember ways to do the process through using Terminal. Is there not a way to root and unlock without using Odin or CASUAL?

Yeah unfortunately for this phone at the moment the only position is on some form of a windows computer. I can guarantee you that no harm will be done from putting a VM on it tho. Worst comes to worst it can be easily deleted. If your not willing to do that your going to have to get your hands on a pc for a little and get it done or wait it out and hope that we get a mac option one day.

gdubmedia#IM

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah unfortunately for this phone at the moment the only position is on some form of a windows computer. I can guarantee you that no harm will be done from putting a VM on it tho. Worst comes to worst it can be easily deleted. If your not willing to do that your going to have to get your hands on a pc for a little and get it done or wait it out and hope that we get a mac option one day.

Okay so I got Windows 7 Ultimate 32 loaded into VirtualBox, and I have CASUAL downloaded, but I can't get my phone to load in VirtualBox. I can't even get the drivers to install. I installed Kies, but it didn't install the drivers like it should have. Any idea what to do?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582