Contacts appearing in SMS, and some other questions.

Sarm3n

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello everbody,
after two years on an iPhone, I finally switched back to Androids and got myself an HTC One yesterday. I already have my first questions and hope y'all can help me out:

1. When I go into the messaging app, I tap on the + to start a new SMS. Then I tap on the empty "To:" slot at the top to type in a name of a contact whom I'd like to message. When I do this, each contact shows up like 3 different times. It does this because I have the contact stored on my phone, Gmail, and my SIM. This is extremely annoying and I'd prefer to only show my contacts from my phone. How can I accomplish this?

2. There's a Gmail app and a Mail app on the phone. If I only use the Gmail app (because I only have a Gmail account), will my non-use of the mail app in any way negatively affect me?

3. Is there any way to get rid of the left-most home screen that displays the news?

4. Is there any way to get rid of the apps that were already on the phone? Such as facebook, twitter, etc.

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Alright this is how I would do things:
1) go into your contact settings then enable only the sources you want your contacts from
2) nope
3) you can either change which is your homescreen and push that to the side or install a launcher (eh nova, go, apex..)
4) you can go into settings then apps then click the ones you don't need then hit disable. It doesn't uninstall it but it takes it away which is better than nothing I guess

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

thowells

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Any ideas? My htc one gmail app wasn't working. I uninstalled it. For reinstallation, google store only offered an update which means gmail didn't totally erase. When I updated, the app was back in working order but there is no Icon anywhere. Now, I can only install/uninstall updates but not the app. It wouldn't be an issue except the icon has disappeared. Any ideas?

Sarm3n

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Alright this is how I would do things:
1) go into your contact settings then enable only the sources you want your contacts from
2) nope
3) you can either change which is your homescreen and push that to the side or install a launcher (eh nova, go, apex..)
4) you can go into settings then apps then click the ones you don't need then hit disable. It doesn't uninstall it but it takes it away which is better than nothing I guess

Thanks for the reply!

1. I have done that. In my contacts list it only shows the ones I want - which is the way I want it. But when I go to write a text message and start typing the name of a contact into the "To:" box on top, it still suggests numbers from all sources.

3. I've never installed a launcher but just did a Google search. Once I install a launcher, will I be required to always restart the launcher when I turn on the phone? How does a launcher run? Is it an app that runs on the phone like any other app or does it actually modify the phone itself?

Again, thanks for responding. I'm still trying to learn and get used to Android.

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply!

1. I have done that. In my contacts list it only shows the ones I want - which is the way I want it. But when I go to write a text message and start typing the name of a contact into the "To:" box on top, it still suggests numbers from all sources.

3. I've never installed a launcher but just did a Google search. Once I install a launcher, will I be required to always restart the launcher when I turn on the phone? How does a launcher run? Is it an app that runs on the phone like any other app or does it actually modify the phone itself?

Again, thanks for responding. I'm still trying to learn and get used to Android.

Hey no problem man.
1) hmmm do you have duplicates of the same contact in any other app like contacts and the like. If so, you can try going back into contact settings and select manage contacts and hit de-duplicate.

3) once you download the launcher, and you hit the home button you'll see an option to choose the launcher or the stock HTC one. Select always and then the launcher. From there it'll be your primary home screen and app drawer until you want to go stock or a diff launcher.

I probably didn't explain too well but maybe a quick YouTube search will show a cleaner visual example

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Any ideas? My htc one gmail app wasn't working. I uninstalled it. For reinstallation, google store only offered an update which means gmail didn't totally erase. When I updated, the app was back in working order but there is no Icon anywhere. Now, I can only install/uninstall updates but not the app. It wouldn't be an issue except the icon has disappeared. Any ideas?

Not too sure but maybe a simple reboot will help it.

Sarm3n

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
1. Your answer led me to the right place to fix the problem. I ended doing what you said and it ended up doubling my contacts :-D. For those who have the same problem I had and want to know how I fixed it with hatchex's help: I cleared ALL contacts from my phone (gmail, phone, google+, etc.) and disabled syncing contacts from gmail and all other sources. After that I just reloaded the vCard with the contacts I wanted and that did it for me. Granted I won't have my contacts synced with Gmail anymore but oh well.

3. I'll check these out. Thanks!

Last edited:

roflwaffleton

May 19, 2012
Visit site

Gmail can't be unistalled, you can only uninstall any updates to the app. This is true for all apps that came pre-installed on the phone.

The app should be in the app drawer, most likely in a folder named Google. When you find the app, just press and hold on the icon and it should give you the option to create a shortcut to it.

If you can't find the app, just go to the app drawer and swipe down. You should see the Search option, a little magnifying glass icon. Tap it and then search for the Gmail app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao