Dell Streak 5 Android update possible?

MCR01

Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
I have a Dell Streak 5 running Android 2.3.7.
I am trying to update to a later Android - is this even possible on such an old phone?
Thanks,

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Even if you could update it, you'd be limited to android versions that are still ancient in technology terms. I.e. No longer secure and incompatible with most (if not all) modern apps. Unless you just plan to keep this as an offline media player, you really need to upgrade to a much newer device.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Wow, a Dell Streak! It's worth keeping that just for historical reasons.😁

MCR01

Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
Yes, agree it's an antique but it functions perfectly running XCSoar in a sailplane (its only use). Question is whether 2.3.7 Android could be updated or whether it's just my failures.
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The only way it could be updated would be if any tech wizard out there created a custom ROM based on a more recent version of Android that's specifically designed for that device. As Mooncatt mentioned, this is highly unlikely (at least for anything higher than, say, Android 4). The best place to check would be the forums at XDA-Developers.com. Good luck!

MCR01

Feb 26, 2024
Visit site
OK, thanks. Here's another (probably dumb) question.
This Streak will pair with the LXNAV Powermouse but that's all that happens. No data appears to be received.
Is this a hopeful sign or should I just invest in a newer used phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The Powermouse specs say it supports Bluetooth 3.0 and 4.0 LE, while the Dell Streak 5 only has Bluetooth 2.1. It's possible there's no backwards compatibility, but it could also be software incompatibility as well. I don't think there would be any hope, sorry.

Reactions: Laura Knotek