Destek V4 VR Headset Review

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you looking to experiment in VR without breaking the bank, this is one amazing headset. I’ve tried several in this price range and they all felt flimsy and uncomfortable. Ended up returning them all, however this one is a keeper.
destek0.jpg

First off, the beauty of this model for me is that though you can’t wear glasses, most likely you won’t need to. The folks at DESTEK designed the V4 VR to be compact and also designed the object/pupil distance to be adjusted separately to get clearest view possible without glasses (even for consumers with myopia under 600°or hyperopia under 300°).
destekfield.jpg

It comes with a very nice carry bag to help protect the unit and a cleaning cloth for the lenses. They also include a free cell phone stand in the box that works nicely with phones and smaller tablets.

I thought the Amazon price of the unit was a bit low at 25.99 and expected the usual poor quality that was going to be uncomfortable and hurt my face or head. This did not happen as the unit has a nice headgear setup. It's padded extremely well and the cell phone holder mechanism is solid and secure and poses no chance of damaging your phone. No silly awkward retention clips like other units in this price range.
destek2.jpg

There is not remote included in the basic package, however they do bundle them with remotes or you can purchase one separately. There is also a conductive touch button/trigger at the top gives you a LOT more fun in games without a remote controller. This works very well to do most of what you need it to do.
destek3.jpg

I tried this unit with several phones and it works well with LCD displays, however if you want to get the most out of your VR experience use it with an LED… it is beyond belief. I tried it with various apps and was well immersed into the experience. If you try it with any horror genres is can make your jump skip a few beats so use caution…LOL
destek4.jpg

If you are looking for an affordable VR experience, look no further. This unit checks all the boxes and then some. Try it out and if you don’t agree, Amazon has a great return policy.

Last edited:

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Great review! I wonder how this compares with my Merge Goggles when it comes to near sighted users. Merge is utterly useless for me unless I put in contact lenses. Not the most convenient considering I don’t usually wear contacts.

Rob Phillips

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
does it work with Google daydream? cardboard or some other standard?

is app compatibility an important factor in choosing a phone headset?

Looks like it works with Cardboard as well as Daydream. Your phone display is actually powering it. App compatibility is, of course, very important. Luckily there’s a decently robust library already available and I’m sure it will continue to grow.