Dex and Android 9.0 (Pie)

JoeInCT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else get the update this week to Pie?

I'm trying really hard to like Dex, but it seems like it is an orphaned product.

Case in point: On Oreo (android 8), the Samsung keyboard would immediately be activated when Dex loaded. This was done so that the physical keyboard that was likely plugged into the docking station would function properly, including shortcuts. With android 9, this doesn't happen. You have to manually set the keyboard, and even when you do, all kinds of buggy things happen.

I'm trying to use my Note 8 as my primary desktop (using Dex), but come on Samsung! Test and upgrade Dex CONTINUOUSLY.! It's like beta software for Gods sake.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
When I connect my Note9 to Samsung tv by hdmi it gives me the option to turn on DEX (which I turn down to watch Netflix). Can I just connect my Blutooth keyboard and mouse to Note9 then use it as a computer Nd my tv as the monitor? Would Microsoft Office then be the regular Android version or one more like Windows? I guess what I'm asking is what is the advantage of Dex. I can connect phone to monitor by hdmi and use Android Microsoft Office by just looking at phone screen as is on monitor. What does Dex do for me?

I don't have the dock and I don't see why I need it to use DeX anyway?