Differences between a Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note 9.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
If/when I get a new phone, it will be a Galaxy Note 9.

However, I see some major differences.

1) No more home button. And fingerprint sensor is now on top of the phone.

It is a different way to interact with the phone without the home button. I could probably get used to it.

However, I really liked using the fingerprint sensor on the home button. It was easy.

Maybe the location on top is also easy. I guess I would get used to it.

2) Larger screen.

The Galaxy Note 4 is already barely pocket-able. Especially if I keep other things in that pocket too, which sometimes I have to do.

I don't really want a larger phone, but the Galaxy Note 9 seems to be about .33" larger (6.37" - 6.04").

I wish they could have just made the screen take up more of the phone, which is what they tried to do with the Infinity design, by removing the home button, without actually making the phone larger.

3) No more removable battery.

This seems major to be.

I've had to replace my Galaxy Note 4 battery every 10 - 14 months. At about that time, my phone tends to start shutting off at about 30% battery, which is why I've replaced the battery. But, with the removable battery, at least it's a simple thing to do.

Now, with the Note 9, it seems that a professional technician has to break the seal on the back, for a battery replacement.

I don't think I like this.

Yes, the phone is designed to be waterproof, and that's one of the reasons they don't have a removable battery. But I never take my phone near water anyways.

Someone might say that the battery is more reliable on a Note 9, and it should last a few years before it needs to be replaced. But based on my experience with the Note 4, I think I have to assume that I'd need to replace the battery about as often, until I experience otherwise. And because it always seems to be in that 10 - 14 month timespan, it wasn't just the first battery, but future ones too.

I do like how there's a larger mAh battery, with 4000. But not being able to replace the battery on my own, seems like a major issue.

Other things like a newer chipset with a better antenna are important.

What does everyone else think?

4) Nano SIM card in Note 9 instead of Micro SIM card.

This is annoying. If my Note 4 was unavailable (such as when I was getting the charging port fixed earlier this year), I could just take the Micro SIM card and put it in my backup Pantech Renue phone, and I could use that phone for calls and text messages.

Now, if I had a Note 9, and it was unavailable and I needed a backup phone, I'll have to contact AT&T to activate another phone and device.

It's not as easy as just moving the SIM card from one phone to the next, since the sizes are different.

I would still have had to contact AT&T if I wanted to use data on my Pantech Renue, but at least I could easily make calls and use text messages without contacting them.

It would have been nice if the Nano SIM card devices had some kind of adapter to also make them Micro SIM compatible. Yes, it's harder to make bigger things compatible, if coming from a Nano SIM.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Lithium batteries last longest in the 40%-98% range - dropping the charge to even 30% shortens the life drastically. (Even a cheap lithium battery should last at least 2 years.)

There are SIM adapter sets, so you can use the same nanoSIM in an older phone. And AT&T has never given me any problem swapping SIM cards - it seems as if they get points based on how many they get rid of. (They actually cost a few cents to the carrier - the ones who charge $25 per SIM are ridiculous. If I have one, I go to eBay to buy a SIM.)

As far as the size, I hear you, but if you want a Note (I have to carry a stylus in my pocket for my Pixel), it's either a 9, a used older one or ... I'd probably wait for the 10. And a holster case (the Otterbox Defender almost makes the phone indestructible) so you don't have to worry about pocket space.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Lithium batteries last longest in the 40%-98% range - dropping the charge to even 30% shortens the life drastically. (Even a cheap lithium battery should last at least 2 years.)

There are SIM adapter sets, so you can use the same nanoSIM in an older phone. And AT&T has never given me any problem swapping SIM cards - it seems as if they get points based on how many they get rid of. (They actually cost a few cents to the carrier - the ones who charge $25 per SIM are ridiculous. If I have one, I go to eBay to buy a SIM.)

As far as the size, I hear you, but if you want a Note (I have to carry a stylus in my pocket for my Pixel), it's either a 9, a used older one or ... I'd probably wait for the 10. And a holster case (the Otterbox Defender almost makes the phone indestructible) so you don't have to worry about pocket space.

Thanks.

Good point on there being nano SIM to micro SIM adapters. Then that makes it easy if I have to use an older phone.

How do you like your Pixel overall? I see it doesn't have a microSD card, which I like having, so it wouldn't work for me, but am wondering what your impressions of the phone overall are.

I usually don't drop my battery below 30%, usually 40% is the lowest.

But I notice after 10 - 14 months of having the battery, if I do drop it below 30%, the phone shuts off. Whereas if this happened during one day soon after I first bought the battery, the battery could get below 10% and still work reasonably well.

I guess I will have to try even harder, as a good practice, not to let it drop below 40%.

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had the battery fail in my Samsung S8+. Meaning it could no longer take full charge, quickly discharge from 100% to 30% in an hour or two.... Had it professionally replaced for $60.

For that amount, I can buy a new ZeroLemon or such battery in the much bigger 10,000 mAh capacity and replace it myself. 3500 mah -- no thank you. I was without S8 Plus for a week and got myself a LG V20 as a temporarily solution and liked it enough that I kept using it after I got back fixed S8+ (replaced battery and also shattered screen).

I dropped LG V20 twice. No issues. The latest generation of Galaxy and Notes is very fragile. Basically it's the question of when it will break, not if. Curved edges make it even more fragile.

and there are tons of devices where you can replace the battery and have the waterproof quality as well. Consider any of the Garmin devices that run on Lithiums/AA batteries. Yes, you can have both.

Now, with the Note 9, it seems that a professional technician has to break the seal on the back, for a battery replacement.

I don't think I like this.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had the battery fail in my Samsung S8+. Meaning it could no longer take full charge, quickly discharge from 100% to 30% in an hour or two.... Had it professionally replaced for $60.

For that amount, I can buy a new ZeroLemon or such battery in the much bigger 10,000 mAh capacity and replace it myself. 3500 mah -- no thank you. I was without S8 Plus for a week and got myself a LG V20 as a temporarily solution and liked it enough that I kept using it after I got back fixed S8+ (replaced battery and also shattered screen).

I dropped LG V20 twice. No issues. The latest generation of Galaxy and Notes is very fragile. Basically it's the question of when it will break, not if. Curved edges make it even more fragile.

and there are tons of devices where you can replace the battery and have the waterproof quality as well. Consider any of the Garmin devices that run on Lithiums/AA batteries. Yes, you can have both.

Thanks for sharing.

nuraman00

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site

How do you like your Pixel?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali