Disable the "you must use our cord" software?

xterminal

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm unsure whether this issue affects anyone other than Verizon customers, since the more G3 owners I talk to, the more it seems Verizon's version is markedly different than others when it comes to the installed software. (I envy those of you who don't have to deal with NFL Mobile.)

75-90% of the time, when I plug the phone into a USB cable attached to a computer, I get a message saying the phone will not charge unless I use the cord that came with the phone. This is ridiculous. It's also wrong, and I have two methods of instantly proving this:

1. It happens with the cord that came with the phone.
2. With ANY cord, if I take the other end of the cord out of a computer and plug it into a wall adapter, the phone will immediately begin to charge.

The second point also is an extremely strong indicator that this is caused by some sort of software. And if it's software, there must be a way to disable it so I can actually do things like transfer large numbers of mp3 files. (I can't fill a 64GB microSD card, even if I plug them phone in at 100%, before it dies.)

Does anyone know of a way to disable this, at least until LG and/or Verizon start packaging the phone with enough cords to make this a viable option? (I'd say seven at a bare minimum--three for various rooms in the house, one for each car, one for work, and one for wiring it into my laptop for sampling purposes when creating music...)

Klotar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I have only had that message when I use a cable that is... well, not up to snuff. I know you have done a lot of testing with various cables, chargers, different PC's, USB ports, etc. so I do not mean to be condescending.

Last week I did a "clean up" of all chargers and cables in my house, and anything (charger or cable) that did not charge at a rate of +1100 mA (range I kept was from 1100 - 1900 mA), I threw out so as not to ever use them accidentally, and I marked each cable's rating when paired with my "best" (stock) charger. I used the app "Amphere" in the app store to do my assessments with.

Again, without meaning to be condescending at all, might I suggest something similar? Admittedly, many USB cables look the same. The thickness/guage of the wires I learned is no indication of how good it is. And also admittedly, the cable I thought came with the G3 likely was not. Anyway, once you get a good "pair" (charger/cable combo) that charges your G3 at 1900 mA, you probably have your stock set (or better). Try that known good cable with your USB port and see if you have the same issue. From your post, I can surmise that you were methodical in your testing but perhaps let's definitely eliminate bad cable from the equation. Here is a link to the Amphere app:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.gombosdev.ampere&token=pMeKuWvz

Set to use the "Old Measurement Method" in settings in the app. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54