[Discussion] Battery Life Thread

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I have never been fearful of my battery dying because I work from home and am always hear a charger of some kind (between my wife and I, I think we have 8 wireless chargers all over the house that we're always near).

However, with the Z Fold 3, I found that even that could rattle me when I have extended periods away from chargers. No matter what anyone says, that phone CHUGGED the batter, especially when on the inner screen. Was it the worst? By far no, but I was battery scared when away from the house.

Now, with this S23. I used it normally throughout the day yesterday and kept it off any of the chargers from the time I woke up to the time I set it down to go to sleep.

Now, these, by far, are not the most impressive tests, but for me, it was WAY WAY WAY better than expected!!

Used: 14h 16m
SOnT: 3h 46m
SOffT: 10h 29m

When I put it on the charger last night, I was still at 54%. Compared to my Z Fold 3, with a similar test, I would be below 20% by the time I went to bed, that is, if it wasn't dead (depends on how many phone calls I get as well).

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).jpeg

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey for those that have the phone when you plug it in with a 25W does it say Super Fast Charging and if your using a 45W does it says SFC 2.0? Our 22U always said that and we got an update I think it was to Android 13 don't really remember but when we plug it in it will say SFC and than disappear and we don't think it charges as fast as it used too. I think my external battery pack is faster it's weird. It happens to both of us at home using 45W and in my car it does the same thing.

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
I have never been fearful of my battery dying because I work from home and am always hear a charger of some kind (between my wife and I, I think we have 8 wireless chargers all over the house that we're always near).

However, with the Z Fold 3, I found that even that could rattle me when I have extended periods away from chargers. No matter what anyone says, that phone CHUGGED the batter, especially when on the inner screen. Was it the worst? By far no, but I was battery scared when away from the house.

Now, with this S23. I used it normally throughout the day yesterday and kept it off any of the chargers from the time I woke up to the time I set it down to go to sleep.

Now, these, by far, are not the most impressive tests, but for me, it was WAY WAY WAY better than expected!!

Used: 14h 16m
SOnT: 3h 46m
SOffT: 10h 29m

When I put it on the charger last night, I was still at 54%. Compared to my Z Fold 3, with a similar test, I would be below 20% by the time I went to bed, that is, if it wasn't dead (depends on how many phone calls I get as well).

View attachment 351206

As far as battery life you obviously never had the HTC Thunderbolt, the first 4G phone. I had to buy the large extra battery for regular daily use and it still wasn't enough. The phone looked like a hunchback...LOL

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
As far as battery life you obviously never had the HTC Thunderbolt, the first 4G phone. I had to buy the large extra battery for regular daily use and it still wasn't enough. The phone looked like a hunchback...LOL

OMG... I have had my share of Hunchback phones too!! I remember getting an extra large battery for my T-Mobile G1 back in the day and almost all phones since had humps (although, I didn't do it to the original Nexus phone)...

Oh, scrolling through some Reddit Posts, here's a battery life post that I found impressive:

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyS23/comments/110unj3/hopping_on_the_sot_bandwagon_day_3_s23u/

jjp3aple5wha1.jpg

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
What was the battery out of the box? And are you guys giving it a first full charge before doing anything, or are you running with what it has out of the box, and then charging to 100%?

Just curious.

Sent from my SM-N986U using AC Forums mobile app

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
What was the battery out of the box? And are you guys giving it a first full charge before doing anything, or are you running with what it has out of the box, and then charging to 100%?

Just curious.

Sent from my SM-N986U using AC Forums mobile app

Mine charged to 100% during the time it was doing the Smart Switch. It was at (IIRC) around 73% out of the box.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I need my phone for work, so this weekend, being a long weekend for us, I plan to keep it off the charger until it died to see how long I can go. I'll post screens here when I do this. :)

I have been seeing a LOT of VERY IMPRESSIVE battery stats for the S23U, so I want to test these out.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Agreed, I'm at 4hr SOT with little over 50% battery left. Especially when the phone is still learning about battery usage and going to get better in a week or so.

This is a certified battery beast

S23 Ultra

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey for those that have the phone when you plug it in with a 25W does it say Super Fast Charging and if your using a 45W does it says SFC 2.0? Our 22U always said that and we got an update I think it was to Android 13 don't really remember but when we plug it in it will say SFC and than disappear and we don't think it charges as fast as it used too. I think my external battery pack is faster it's weird. It happens to both of us at home using 45W and in my car it does the same thing.

Oh, wow you are right. My S22U used to say Super Fast Charging 2.0 when connected to 45w or higher, and I just tried it right now and it no longer says the 2.0. My S22U used to say it. My ZF4 never said Super Fast Charging 2.0, just regular SFC. Likewise, my S23U doesn't say 2.0. It looks like they phased out the 2.0?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Oh, wow you are right. My S22U used to say Super Fast Charging 2.0 when connected to 45w or higher, and I just tried it right now and it no longer says the 2.0. My S22U used to say it. My ZF4 never said Super Fast Charging 2.0, just regular SFC. Likewise, my S23U doesn't say 2.0. It looks like they phased out the 2.0?

I know but right now in my 22 Ultra it will say fast charging or super fast charging and then it goes away and just says charging. It will say super fast charging started and then change to charging. What does it say on the 23 does it say super fast charging the whole time it's charging?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I know but right now in my 22 Ultra it will say fast charging or super fast charging and then it goes away and just says charging. It will say super fast charging started and then change to charging. What does it say on the 23 does it say super fast charging the whole time it's charging?
I just tested, when I plug in it says super fast charging started and then it'll just display the charging percentage.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I just tested, when I plug in it says super fast charging started and then it'll just display the charging percentage.

On thanks bit I guess it's fast charging still. We just feel like our 22U when it said super fast the whole time it was clearing faster maybe not I think this started when way for Android 13. I don't know

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
When you plug it into a compatible charger, it says "Super Fast Charging 2" but that goes away after a couple of seconds as mentioned above. It IS charging at full speed though, I confirmed it last night.

On that note, I charged it before setup on monday at about 5(?) I nextt charged it at 9 on tuesday evening and it was at 25%, it took under an hour to fully charge.

I don't know about anyone else, but more than a full day battery on a phone that has gone through a full setup process is pretty amazing to me!

I'm sure I can tank it once I get my messaging apps and such set up though lol.

Last edited:

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
When you plug it into a compatible charger, it says "Super Fast Charging 2" but that goes away after a couple of seconds as mentioned above. It IS charging at full speed though, I confirmed it last night.

On that note, I charged it before setup on monday at about 5(?) I nextt charged it at 9 on tuesday evening and it was at 25%, it took under an hour to fully charge.

I don't know about anyone else, but more than a full day battery on a phone that has gone through a full setup process is pretty amazing to me!

I'm sure I can tank it once I get my messaging apps and such set up though lol.

Great Thanks for letting me know. I use a 45 watt mostly not sure what's by my bed I have several wireless ones and I never use them anymore and usually in portrait it doesn't work as well as in Landscape on this round one I have.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Who elects to limit battery charging to max out at 85%?

I don't see the point with this phone to limit yourself. Although, I have never used this option and find it not worth it. If you plan to keep your phone for more than 3 years, maybe, but people nowadays don't keep their phones that long.

On another topic, I have this wall charger that supposed all of the fast charging standards and love it!

https://chargeasap.com/collections/usb-c-wall-chargers-with-gan/products/200w-omega-usb-c-charger

I can plug my Phone in one USB-C port and my MacBook Pro in another and still get full charging speeds on both devices at the same time.

Well worth it if you travel a lot too!

My personal laptop (ASUS ROG Strix 15" with a 3070Ti) can run on the APU with a 100w USB-C charger, but in order to play games using the 3070Ti, you have to bring the brick charger with you. What's nice is that this small charger works great for when I am traveling and don't want to use the brick to just do normal stuff on my laptop. Gaming is another story, but nice to have the options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali