[Discussion] What would you want to see in the Z Fold 4 that would make you upgrade from the 3?

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You know, I didn't jump in on the Z Fold or the Z Fold 2, but I REALLY jumped on the Z Fold 3 because of many reasons, some of which are:

• Water Resistance - I can't think of living nowadays without at least this
  • 120Hz refresh on BOTH screens
  • It seemed LESS like a Beta and more like a REAL release
  • Latest Tech where I wanted it (CPU, Storage Speeds, 5G, WiFi 6 and more)
  • SPen Support

Now, with all that being said, where I would LOVE to see some improvements for V4 is:

• Battery - Yeah, I know, bigger battery, bigger phone, but I think they still have some room to play here.
  • I have no issues with the current screen durability as I have not really seen any issues, but this is where they can always improve
  • Folded Width - I think this can be a LITTLE wider
  • Native storage for the SPen - I love having it, but I hate that it seems like an appendage more than a true feature
  • SPen support on the outer screen

Now, the question, what would make you switch from the Fold 3 to some other foldable (even if not Samsung)?

Right now. I do not know what would make me switch. If the Fold 3 holds up well for me until the Fold 4 is released, I just may NOT upgrade. I didn't want to upgrade out of my N20U and I resisted the urge when the Fold 2 was released, but too many of the tick-boxes I had in my head for the Fold 3 were ticked and I could not pass it up.

All in all, I am in LOVE with this form factor. I seriously replaces my iPad, Kindle eReader and a normal Cell Phone, all in one neat package.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For me, Fold4 would be perfect if it carry the same as Fold3 plus:

- bigger battery;
- SPen slot and SPen included in package;
- microSD card slot;
- same cameras as S22 Ultra.

uncreativeartist

Trusted Member
Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
I'm pretty much in agreement with vimagreg.

Larger battery capacity.

SPen for sure.

MicroSD yes please.

Less cameras.

Wider front screen.

Larger phone in general.

TWO USB-C JACKS or

ADD A HEADPHONE JACK!

There is so much I prefer in a phone that I know 99% of people would cry about. I want larger, heavier phones, I miss the days of a brick in my pocket. I like knowing the phone is in my pocket. Too many times I had a tiny panic attack on my way to or from somewhere because I could not feel my phone in my pocket. None of that with the F3. I had to get the usb-c port on my last phone fixed a couple of times. Between plugging in a charger and a headset when I needed to go handsfree for a conversation the port kept getting worn and the plugs would not stay and would just fall out. Too many times I also had the choice of charging my phone or finish the conversation I was having.

JordanFixesStuff

Sep 23, 2021
Visit site
Main things for me off the top of the head.

Better interior selfie camera
Battery - I don't care if it gets a little thicker for a larger battery. Its thick in pocket already.
Slightly Wider External Display - again don't care if it gets a bit bigger.
S Pen Internal Storage - Would prefer it to be like a Note and not need a special case to carry it. I have other cases I want to use and not be limited because I want to use the S Pen.

Other then those few things I can not think of much. I finally just received my Fold yesterday so I have limited time with it.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
* Larger battery (like 4.8K-5K mAh)

* Dust resistance

* The outer screen being ~1/4" wider

The issue is that these would undoubtedly drive the price up. If we get these kinds of improvements are we going to be satisfied with the higher price that goes with them. I can't see the price dropping with a larger battery and larger screen.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree with lot of everyone list here, but more then anything a slot for Spen if not I'll keep the fold3 as its really all-around well rounded phone-tablet .
It's my device of the year and first to WOW me in long time .

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
  • Battery - Yeah, I know, bigger battery, bigger phone, but I think they still have some room to play here.
  • I have no issues with the current screen durability as I have not really seen any issues, but this is where they can always improve
  • Folded Width - I think this can be a LITTLE wider
  • Native storage for the SPen - I love having it, but I hate that it seems like an appendage more than a true feature
  • SPen support on the outer screen

Exactly my thoughts. The only thing to add to the above list is better cameras. My complete list:

- Better battery life
- Same or better inner screen
- Little wider
- Folded thinner
- Less or equal weight
- Spen Inbuilt
- Spen support for outer screen
- Better cameras

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Two things I like to see changes.

- Normal Size on outter screen
- Above changes will add room for S-Pen insert.

FACTagent

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty much with everyone else. Looking for slightly bigger outer screen that I can also use the S-Pen on and an S-Pen slot, but also some kind of dust resistance so I can use it on the beach and just have to baby it less in general. The lack of these things is making me consider going back to the traditional form factor with the Galaxy S 22 Ultra, which will be the de facto Note replacement. But reading, especially on the Web and Kindle, really is much more pleasant with the phone unfolded. I may wait and see what the Z Fold 4 brings before making any decision.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty much with everyone else. Looking for slightly bigger outer screen that I can also use the S-Pen on and an S-Pen slot, but also some kind of dust resistance so I can use it on the beach and just have to baby it less in general. The lack of these things is making me consider going back to the traditional form factor with the Galaxy S 22 Ultra, which will be the de facto Note replacement. But reading, especially on the Web and Kindle, really is much more pleasant with the phone unfolded. I may wait and see what the Z Fold 4 brings before making any decision.

Z Fold definitely not for everyone especially price and everyday usage. Do what you need to do to make yourself happy my friend.

bkdodger2

Jun 3, 2020
Visit site
TBH I don't really use the s pen that much but I would definitely like to see it on the phone. I know a lot of people would and I think that would be great and give me a reason to actually use it since I don't use one on my phone right now. A larger battery definitely selfie camera and camera system overall needs to improve a little bit more selfie especially I would go with a little larger outer screen but not by much unless the phone gets lighter. I actually find it easier to carry around with the width of it folded..

Poshworld

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Agree with most of these. For me it would definitely be:
* Built in s-pen
*S-pen support for outer screen
* Dust resistance
*Better battery life
*Lighter weight ☺

Toes Up

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Bigger/better battery.

I find it interesting that some people want the folded width to be (a little) wider. Personally, I have a hard time typing accurately on the outer screen. Perhaps a wider outer screen would help.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Bigger/better battery.

I find it interesting that some people want the folded width to be (a little) wider. Personally, I have a hard time typing accurately on the outer screen. Perhaps a wider outer screen would help.

Yup, that's exactly what i wish for, slightly wider for outer screen would make this phone perfect.

radassist

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Love this phone! Between the software, the form factor, the screen, the speakers and the Spen... Nice job... Real nice job.
Z fold 4?
1- a slightly (only slightly) larger outer screen, which should translate to a slightly larger inner screen.
2- phone comes with the basic Spen, no additional cost.
3- ability to use the same Spen on the outer screen or a capacitive tip on the other end of the same Spen so that you could flip it and use the same pen on the outer screen.
4- Spen storage on phone would be nice, but i'd be unwilling to sacrifice the width of the current pen. I like that this one feels like a pen. Perhaps a strong magnetic storage spot might suffice.
5- Spen connectivity, so that if it pops out of the phone or gets too far from the phone the phone alerts you.
6- a bigger battery maybe, but I would not want to trade that in for a heavier phone. This phone is heavy enough.
6- micro SD card slot.
7- I would be mad if they reduced the crease.
6- lower price.