DNS issue after Kit-Kat upgrade--solved!

hallan9

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I searched extensively among the Kit Kat issues threads and did not find one that was exactly like mine, so I'm posting the symptoms I was experiencing and the way I eliminated them.

I had the Nexus 7 2013 for approximately a month before installing the OTA Kit Kat upgrade. I experienced none of the following issues when I was running stock Jelly Bean.

Issues experienced after the OTA Kit Kat (4.4) upgrade:
  • intermittent inability to connect to Google Play
  • intermittent inability to connect to YouTube
  • intermittent failure of Feedly to load new posts, or posts loaded without images
  • intermittent inability to load web pages (no connection or DNS error listed)
  • intermittently would load only text of a web page, not images
  • intermittently would load unformatted text of a web page

The above web page issues were mainly experienced with Chrome, but I tried Dolphin and FireFox with similar results.

The point its, *sometimes* all would work well. No problems. Then the above issues would occur for a while (a few hours) then disappear again. I cleared the cache and did a factory reset, but neither resolved the issues. I also upgraded the firmware on my home router, which is (ironically) an ASUS RT-N16. I tested my Nexus with other routers (at friends), and did not have the issues above. However, I was only testing for 1-2 hours at a time, so this is not necessarily conclusive.

Solution:
What finally resolved the issues was to set a static IP address for the tablet on my home network, and set the DNS to 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4. Once that was done, none of the issues have reoccurred (so far--it's been 24 hours).

HTH!

ETA: I realize that this really just a work-around, as now I don't have DHCP on the tablet. I hope the DNS issue is resolved with a subsequent release of Kit Kat!

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Sound like something is wrong on your dhcp servers dns setup

Also you might try clearing the cache.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member