Does it bother you that N5 doesn't have SD card slot?

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I PREFER having no SD card per all the reasons Google states. I had an Inspire and hated the SD card. Apps were slower to load (and I buy only Sandisk or Lexar high end SD cards always). You have part of the app on the main memory in the phone and then some on the SD card. It's really a mess.

Backing up using cloud services is simple. Connecting to my PC or laptop via USB is easy. I always put all my pics and vids from my DSLR and other cameras onto external hard drives anyway. That's where these all need to go as well. The truth is that people don't know what to do when they don't have an SD card. "Oh my...how do I get my pics and videos off this phone?" How about plugging the stupid thing into your computer or laptop or using an app like WiFi Explorer to get stuff off it. I just don't understand. I'm ecstatic that SD card support in mobile devices is going away and trending that way. And as internal memory keeps getting larger, it becomes less and less important to have SD cards. They are no longer needed.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It only bothered me because I had the 16GB version. My G2 doesn't have an SD card slot but has 32GB of storage, which I can live with. I really feel like a phone with 16GB can really use some additional onboard storage options. Thank goodness for the Meenova though.

G Pad 8.3

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
so, which version did u guys get, 16GB or 32GB... and how to conserve space?
32GB black, don't miss the SD card at all. I thought I would, but I actually rather prefer not having it at this point. Everything is in the cloud. Couldn't be easier to, for example, make lists on Google Music, which I then temporarily make available offline to listen to when I'm out and then I make them disappear by tapping the pin. To transfer files on and off the phone, I use that very awesome and fast AirDroid, no need for USB cables. Really, adjusting to not having an SD card took no time at all for me so don't let that be the reason you miss out on the Nexus line.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I had that issue where I have an SD card with all of my tablets and phones.
My tipping point was that I realized I don't need to have everything on my tablet and phone. I use my tablet for specific things and my phone for other or casual. A lot of things that take up space are music, photos, and movies. I use Google Play to stream from, Google + and drive to backup photos, and movies are not needed on my cell. Figuring all that I'm not even 3gb into my 16gb model.

Written in TapaTalk Pro

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I had that issue where I have an SD card with all of my tablets and phones.
My tipping point was that I realized I don't need to have everything on my tablet and phone.
I don't need it either. But I do want it. And I miss it when it's not there.

Taking away those options is not an asset to me.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
So I guess I don't miss the SD card. I had four iPhone that broke a lot but they didn't have SD cards. I just found out yesterday I had a SD card on the cheap LG phone that I gave away to a friend after getting my new Nexus 5. Never saw the SD card in my old LG phone since I had to pop off the back of the phone to access it. All my video and photos were always on that old phone since Google's cloud keep my Nexus 7, old LG phone plus my new Nexus 5 synced together for all my content.

I may see a need for a SD card someday but since I have a 32GB Nexus 5 it won't be for a long time.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The LG Optimus G Pro is, to me, a great piece of kit that still has a removable battery and mSD card slot yet is very fast with no launcher-induced lag, *cough*Samsung*cough*. Its a great option for those on AT&T, never mind the price is phenomenal.

OptimuS G Pro

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
If it bothered me that the Nexus 5 doesn't have an SD card slot, I would have bought a phone that has it. Nexus phones are never going to have SD cards. Google doesn't want it for several reasons: their cloud storage push is one reason, dealing with it software-wise is another. I do have a 32 GB Nexus 5, but the only reason I bought it wasn't storage, but because I could get a faster delivery on it than the 16 GB model. I frankly prefer using cloud storage - because of its device independent ubiquity. For me, the phone is a device through which I access things: those things could be documents, email, video, photos, text messages, news, whatever. But none of those things reside only on my phone. I use Google Voice, so even my text messages are on the cloud. Google and cloud go well together, and the Nexus is a part of that experience, at least for me.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I had the 16g n4 and now I gots the 16g n5. I'm good.
Only thing that bothers me is them twrp nandroids. They are like 1.6g. So I only keep one at a time.

Sent from my HammerHead :)p)

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
i like phones with SD card slot, now im thinking of buying N5, but whats keeping me back is NO CARD SLOT..

i can get 32GB version, but im not sure if 32GB will be enough for the apps today with few 1080p movies, HD games are like 1GB+, so if have like 5 of them, its going to take a lot of space.

so, which version did u guys get, 16GB or 32GB... and how to conserve space?

Of course id prefer it to have a SD card slot and thats why i didnt get a Nexus 4. However, since they now offer 32 GB version, i have ordered one. That should be enough space....but i would still like to see a SD slot. I have about 1300 songs and 5 movies on my GS3 along with several apps. If i had the same things on my N5(when i finally get it), id have about 9-10GB of space left.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
It does bother me, plus no removable battery. This is the first phone I've bought which lacks those features.

Even though I bought the 32g, it doesn't store as much as it sounds. So far I've only really added about 3 apps because I'm afraid to use up space. I've downloaded some music so far but not a lot. I'm going to buy the Meenova plug in card reader and hopefully it will keep my card from another phone safe.

I still have not gotten my PC fixed. And I have horrible data speeds. So the cloud is unusable, and I don't have access to the media and data on my computer (and several HDD's). I hope I will soon but in the meantime I really miss the access since all my vinyl, CDs, DVDs are in storage. So whatever I have right now on microsd card is very valuable to me now.

I guess if the Meenova works out I may consider another device lacking in SD in the future, but so far as constrained as I feel without expandable storage, I don't know.

But... I do really love this device! Which is another reason I don't want it to fill up, it is sooooo fast and I don't want to slow it down by loading it up with apps and data.

If you think you want a Nexus 5 I would recommend it to you. Yes, it is inconvenient and changes my usage without SD, but it is still a mind blowing phone in my opinion. You have to decide for yourself. It's a trade off. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Fr3lncr

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Personally prefer a sd card. Always had it in my blackberry and the s2. Not having it on the nexus 4 was a real pain since the amount of space just want enough for what I stored on the phone. Even the nexus 5 32gb isn't enough space. Unless they are going to start offering larger storage options without charging the ridiculous markups that Apple does, then I would want it included. If I had two similar phones to choose from near the same price, I would always choose the one with the sd card.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
The way I use my phones, with a 32gb model, I'm fine without expandable storage. If it was 16th, then I'd want a micro SD card to save all my pictures and videos to.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itay85