Does the screen have a bluish tint in the whites similar to galaxy s3?

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
i honestly dont think you'll be able to notice any tint with the naked eye. saw this on Droid Life and thought it was interesting:

"Color reproduction on both the AMOLED of the Galaxy S4 and the LCD of the One is excellent to me. With that said, I feel like you get deeper colors which in turn means greater detail in whatever you are viewing with the AMOLED on the Galaxy S4. For example, at full brightness and indoors, the HTC One?s LCD display appears washed out to me, while the Galaxy S4′s AMOLED display only gets better the brighter you go. I think Samsung plays to their strengths in the UI by offering up stock wallpapers that accent the great blues that an AMOLED can display, but it?s not just there that I?m seeing the benefits. From icons to Google Maps to this website, the colors all match what my naked eye sees on any other display or in reality."

gs4-vs-one-macro.jpg

Asmodian

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't buy the 'its so dense your eye can't see it' statement. I can easily see the difference between a 4.7" 720 HTC ONE X display and a 4.8" 720 AMOLED S3 display.

Yes, and? Those displays aren't dense enough that you cannot see it, of course. It has to actually be the the higher density to meet "its so dense" part. :p

Anandtech did measure the white point of the galaxy s4:
"White point is also no longer the crazy 8000K that we saw before, 7000K is commendable for Samsung at this point."

Anandtech also has pictures of the new Pentile matrix.

Edit: I don't want to say I like Pentile AMOLED at all but the S4 appears to have a much better screen compared to the S3 and at some level of density a Pentile matrix really will be invisible to humans. I believe I would prefer a RGB matrix or even better a RGB IPS LCD but I will have to actually see a S4 in person. Pictures of screens usually do not match RL very well in my experience.

Last edited:

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
manufacturers will hid drawbacks in their phone displays by using homescreens of it's better colors. Browsing websites however, there is a lot of white. I don't care about super close zoomed up pics, that's more of indicator of sharpness; i think 1080p is sharp enough. The off white bugs me though.

Asmodian

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
From Anandtech's review it looks like the S4 has a better white point than the HTC One, given 6500K is "sunlight" and larger numbers are more blue and lower numbers more yellow, S4 = 7020K, HTC One = 8118K.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
from the anandtech review
By the numbers the HTC One is better calibrated (lower Delta-E is better in the table) than the One X or DNA, and the color space comes very close to sRGB out of the box. It is demonstrably better than the predecessor in every way, and amazingly gives the iPhone 5 a run for its money in saturation and the GMB color checker card. Inexcusable however is the 8000K+ white point, which is blue, although during use I never have looked at the One and thought wow this is really blue.

In the "Movie" mode things are better controlled than the Note 2 on the GMB color checker card test, which is the most important one for me. White point is also no longer the crazy 8000K that we saw before, 7000K is commendable for Samsung at this point. Keep in mind that maximum brightness changes in each mode as well as we effectively clamp things, I measured a maximum of 319 nits in Dynamic mode, 311 nits in Movie mode, and 255 nits in Standard, for example.

Based on the review htc one white should be a lot bluer.... I wonder why it looks whiter in the side by side. I guess we'll have to wait for more side by sides to clarify. Also, according to the review, nexus 4 has the bluest screen at 8500, but from videos, reviews, and pictures; it's well documented many nexus 4 have yellow tint problems.

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
from above article
in terms of brightness the Galaxy S4 turned out inferior to the winning iPhone 5 screen, and the HTC One which followed closely. When it comes to white balance the Galaxy S4 in Film and Adobe RGB modes is closest to the desired 6500K color temperature while the iPhone 5 got about 7250K and the HTC One 8000K, both going for a colder color temperature.
hmm. that's two sources. They dont tell us what white color is in the most accurate movie mode settings though.

Asmodian

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I bet the ones with the yellow tint problem did not have a white point of 8500K

I believe Anandtech's 7020K was measured in the "movie" mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024