Downloading MMS message AFTER turning on mobile data

tjfritton

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I sometimes leave mobile data off when I'm not going to be near my phone for a while. It's an old habit. I know, it's a bit silly. It's a MAXX! It has gobs of battery life! But anyway...

Occasionally I get an MMS message while my data is off. I understand that it can't download the full message at that point. But then when I eventually turn data back on, I am STILL unable to get at the MMS message. When I go into Handcent (or even the stock messaging app), I have a message with a "Download" button. I hit the button, it goes to Downloading, then returns an error. I try multiple times, still no luck. I leave it alone for a while to see if it "catches up" and automatically downloads by itself, but it still doesn't work.

Any idea what's going on? Any idea how I can retrieve these messages when I'm in this situation?

Thanks!

tjfritton

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I still like to save every bit of battery I can because you never know what the rest of the day will look like. If I end up in a low signal area later in the day that really eats away at my battery life, I'll be very happy that I turned off data earlier in the day for the few hours I wasn't going to be near my phone.

There may be another way around this like going in to battery saver mode or something. I will have to look into that.

But I also have these old messages that I think are still out on the servers that I would like to be able to retrieve. From what I understand, you first receive an MMS notification message (which is actually an SMS sent over the cellular signal) telling me I have an MMS waiting for me on the Verizon servers. Then when I turn on mobile data, I should be able to retrieve that MMS message that is waiting for me. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and found a way to make it work.

Thanks.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have that problem and sometimes have to restart my phone.

Installing vzw messages on my Nexus 7 2013 solves the problem. All the mms download just fine to tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk