Droid compared to competition

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick question, I have a Samsung Fascinate but I just hate that it isnt a "Google Experience" phone. LauncherPro is nice but it isnt the same ya know?

My question is: Since the Droid runs stock Android...how is it NOW compared to the competition? Would I see much of a difference if I went to it? How is it running FroYo?

Thanks everyone!

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Honestly i didnt like froyo on the d1 brought up horrible screen refresh Everytime I pressed the home button just not enough ram to run it right other than that expect to wait longer for it to open apps even with froyo unless you overclock but the d1 is still a solid phone

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Since the Droid runs stock Android...how is it NOW compared to the competition?
A bit slow and getting long in the tooth. It's one of the older models these days.

It's interesting that you don't like Launcher Pro as it's what I use on my Droid.

If you're really itching for a Google Experience phone you might want to hold off for the follow-on of the Nexus One. Unless there are others rumored to be in the pipeline.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Find yourself a used Nexus One if you really want the Google Experience. The Droid's underclocked processor doesn't cut it with Froyo. I'm even wondering if Motorola will update it to gingerbread when that comes out.

rw6497

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
my droid is extremely fast and bug free. I'm not sure if u boys are rooted or not but if ya not ya should. anyways my sister has the fasanate and i think that phone is pretty sweet. would pick one up in a heartbeat just cause i like the way it feels and that screen is real nice as well. google experiance is overrated. i kinda like what samsungs done with os....

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Root and de-bing. It takes like 2 seconds.

The Fascinate is miles better than the Droid. In my humble opinion. You'd be taking many steps back.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
if you would have asked me a month ago i would have said that aside from the new features on the phones now, it would still be an amazing phone. now after getting the incredible, i can't say the same.

the processor and ram a huge hunderance of the Droid. as Bizz was saying, the refreshes get really annoying and i don't understand how it happens as much as it did. wasn't JIT supposed to make things run smoother?

as for the build quality of the droid, nothing beats it. i loved the feeling of holding the droid vs any other device. it was solid and felt like it was not going to break from heavy use. i dont even think the droid 2 is as good as the droid itself.

the only other bonus that the droid has is that it is one of the top hackable phones (aside from the N1 one but it is very close).

With all of this said, it is understandable as to why the droid just doesn't cut it anymore. it has been out for almost a year and this past year has been monumental for android devices. we have had multiple updates (software-wise and hardware) and it has been doing its best to keep up. is it a good phone, yes. is it somthing worth getting now, no. it is too outdated.

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
HTC phones are the ONLY PHONES that rescale your text, on the fly, when you pinch-to-zoom. Not the iPhone, not the Galaxy thingy nor the Moto whatever. Motorola rescale's text after you reorient from portrait to landscape, or visa versa., but that's it! I truly hope they keep this capability, going forward. OBTW, this IS my next phone, on Sprint! Sprint has exceptional customer service, doesn't throttle customers and is cheaper per ARPU. Excellent coverage in the Nassau co., NY area. If your reading this, you need to consider the consequences.