Droid X Camera App

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The stock camera app on my phone is rather finicky.

Has anyone used any of the camera apps in the Market that run better than the stock app on the Droid X?

Would love to hear some recommendations!

c4v3man

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Vignette was my first android purchase. CameraFX360 or something is a competitor. I tried both demos and preferred vignette.

Be advised, it does NOT have panorama or naitive 16:9 capture modes like the stock app. You can easily crop the 8MP photos to 6MP 16:9 using framing, but it's not an option for capturing. You can easily launch the stock camera app if you needed to take a panorama photo.

Dev support seems decent, I emailed them about the 16:9 capture option, and they replied back same day.

katrina2475

Apr 12, 2010
ksanchez.scentsy.us
Another vote for Vignette! I took this today with it:
4819542045_ab1a00c05f.jpg

g1toevo678

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Vignette. I use it as my default camera app. It's well worth the $5.

Those are some great shots!

Have you noticed whether Vignette app speeds up shutter lag or focus time?

Also, aside from special effects and such, does the app result in better photos (eg. less noise) in general?

I just tried the demo and one thing I did like was the fact that you can snap a shot without using the button.

matthewdlyons

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

I would say the shutter lag is little longer with Vignette. I am pretty deliberate when taking photos (read, I'm seldom in a hurry), so I have Vignette set to preview the shot. The advantage is that you can change effects and/or frames on a shot before saving.

As for image quality, when I used the app on my Incredible I found that, for whatever reason, the focus was more consistent with Vignette. With the X, it's about the same. You can adjust the resolution on the paid version up to the full 8MP. I agree. Being able to take the picture by taping the screen is nice. I do like the selective focus on the default camera, app though. Sometimes you have to play around with it.

Another nice thing about Vignette is that you can import images taken the default camera app and add effects and frames.

Last edited:

The Mad Mule

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I just read from a July 1st review online that once you add effects to the picture and then save it, you don't get a backup of your original picture. Does that still hold true even with the latest updates? If so, that's a shame.

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
If you use Vignette to take your photo - then the 'original' shot is however you process it in Vignette

if you import the shot from the camera in to Vignette then you still retain the original shot (camera shot will be in the default camera app directory while the Vignette photo will be saved in the vignette folder)

That being said - you can decide to not have Vignette do any effects or processing on the photo and it does give you the option to save a copy - meaning it saves what you took - but doesn't exit out of the app - allowing you to then go on to playing with the frames/effects. This is particularly handy if you want to save multiple versions of the same shot without having to keep importing the shot back in to the app.

Which was handy when I was writing my review of the app and making samples :)

The Mad Mule

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
If you use Vignette to take your photo - then the 'original' shot is however you process it in Vignette

if you import the shot from the camera in to Vignette then you still retain the original shot (camera shot will be in the default camera app directory while the Vignette photo will be saved in the vignette folder)

That being said - you can decide to not have Vignette do any effects or processing on the photo and it does give you the option to save a copy - meaning it saves what you took - but doesn't exit out of the app - allowing you to then go on to playing with the frames/effects. This is particularly handy if you want to save multiple versions of the same shot without having to keep importing the shot back in to the app.

Which was handy when I was writing my review of the app and making samples :)

Thanks Argent, I saw your review of the app last night, and I figured that if I didn't get a reply in this thread in 24 hours, I'd PM you. :p

So from what I'm reading, you can take a picture, tell it to save a copy, and it does, but it still leaves the photo you just took up on the screen for you to mess with.

But here is where I'm getting confused: can you mess with what is still on the screen and save it, and that will not affect the "original" that you saved from the start?

Thanks. :)

Argent

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Correct - there is an option called Save a Copy which does just that - saves the image as a new copy (with or without whatever settings you have tweaked) and will keep the original image loaded in the software so you can tweak more

I highly recommend downloading the free version and give it a try - that's how I got hooked and decided to purchase the full app.

The Mad Mule

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Correct - there is an option called Save a Copy which does just that - saves the image as a new copy (with or without whatever settings you have tweaked) and will keep the original image loaded in the software so you can tweak more

I highly recommend downloading the free version and give it a try - that's how I got hooked and decided to purchase the full app.

Indeed, I was just playing around with the free version after my last post when I saw the Save as Copy button, and my mind pretty much figured it out from there. :p

Thanks again for helping me out! I'll definitely be purchasing this app later on today. :D

komquat

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
What are the best settings to get a normal picture (no effects) when outside and when inside.

I noticed when outside, even not in the sun, sometimes the entire picture would we too bright...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blaze_3ds