ECG test

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm really glad to have this ECG test on the watch. Yesterday morning when I was letting the dogs in at 4 am. I noticed my watch was showing a heart rate in the 120s, and varying a lot. I took this test, and found that I was in afib. I'm currently in the hospital getting checked out for it, but glad to have gotten the advance notice, because I had no other symptoms other than the high heart rate. Thanks, Google!
7c04d3356f368614d2a077a2b135fd97.jpg

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to give you an update. I was released from the hospital Tuesday morning after they were able to get my heart rate under better control. It still goes up a bit when I'm active, but nothing like it was earlier. I meet with my cardiologist next Friday, hoping a cardioversion will be considered if I'm still in afib at that time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to give you an update. I was released from the hospital Tuesday morning after they were able to get my heart rate under better control. It still goes up a bit when I'm active, but nothing like it was earlier. I meet with my cardiologist next Friday, hoping a cardioversion will be considered if I'm still in afib at that time.
If it's this soon after diagnosing the a-fib, they'd probably have to do a transesophageal echocardiogram to make sure there's no clot formation in the atrium before doing the cardioversion (even if they already have you on blood thinners). Did they discuss that with you? (Feel free to PM me if you'd rather discuss this more privately.)

Reactions: J Dubbs

jhilker

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
If it's this soon after diagnosing the a-fib, they'd probably have to do a transesophageal echocardiogram to make sure there's no clot formation in the atrium before doing the cardioversion (even if they already have you on blood thinners). Did they discuss that with you? (Feel free to PM me if you'd rather discuss this more privately.)
They did do an echocardiogram when I was in the hospital, not sure if it was transesophageal, tho. I'll check on it with my doctor on Friday. Thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
They did do an echocardiogram when I was in the hospital, not sure if it was transesophageal, tho. I'll check on it with my doctor on Friday. Thanks!
You'd know if it was transesophageal -- it requires sedation, and the ultrasound probe is introduced via endoscopy down your throat and into your esophagus. It allows the sensor to get images of the heart from inside, thus not getting any interference from the bones of the ribcage. The TEE would have to be done within a day or so of doing the cardioversion, to ensure no clot when the cardioversion is done. The reason for doing this is to prevent stroke -- if clot were present, the sudden normalization of the heart rhythm could potentially dislodge it and allow the clot to travel up to the brain.

The alternative would be to stay on blood thinners for 3 months, after which I think cardiologists would be comfortable doing a cardioversion without a TEE.

Reactions: J Dubbs and jhilker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali