email account defaults to IMAP, need pop3 - cox network,,, HOW TO Force a change?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Manual Steps
The following steps represent the manual process to set up an Android to send and receive Cox.net email if the auto-configuration does not choose the correct settings.

From the Home screen, tap Application.
Tap the Email icon.
If this is the first time you are setting up email on your phone, enter your full Cox.net email Address and Password and tap Next.
If you have setup any email previously on your phone, press the Menu button, and tap Add Account to reach the screen above. Enter your full Cox.net email Address and Password and then tap Next.
Enter the following Incoming Mail Server information in the spaces provided.
Username - Your Cox email username.
Password - Your Cox email account password.
Incoming Server - One of the following server types.
IMAP -
Server - imap.cox.net
Port - 993
POP -
Server - pop.cox.net
Port - 110

Note: Use the secure setting 995 when not on the Cox network; when using this setting check the box for SSL.
Tap Next.
Enter the following Outgoing Mail Server information in the spaces provided.

SMTP server - smtp.cox.net
Port - 465 and check the box for SSL.

Note: When an Android device lists only TLS as an option for outbound mail server settings, your device may work with both port 587 and 465.
Tap Next.
Tap Finish.
Setting Up an Android Phone to Send and Receive Cox.net Email

MTTwister

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Never Mind! after farting around - I did get my last night's test message this morning. Do message remain on the server? If so, I probably need to log on and clean them out occassionally, eh? By the way, once it picks imap, there's no 'going ' back. Didn't see the option to set up as a pop3 account, like I did one other time ( when I typed the ".net" as ".nef" and couldn't edit that. Anyhoo, it's working , so far. Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you want all your devices to see the same emails - so that if you delete an emil on the phone, your computer doesn't see it either? Then use IMAP.

If you want to control what each device sees independently, use POP3 and set each email program to "leave on server". (You also won';t have real folders, that'll just be an artifact created in the individual email program.)

MTTwister

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Right now, all I want is for the phone to connect to the server, and send an email. OK I got it changed to pop.cox....Edit: edit: now I get failed to send e-mail Error occurred on email server. 550.5.1.0 Authentication required. I gonna set this 'email account' up on the laptop too and see if I can force it there,... edit - set up same account on pc - mail sent from pc and received by phone. Tried sending from phone, still get above 550 error. ( dang it, it's back to imap!) Obviously, looking for some help here. ( Going to cox's site and try and find info on 550.....EDIT AGAIN - I think I have victory over Cox/Samsung. ok 1 lucky email in and out. /yipee

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hohenheimofdarkness