Email Push Option - Missing

ultraburner

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I've just set up my new S4 (transferred from iphone) and the option to have emails pushed is missing. Anyone got an ideas if this option is coming back or why it has gone?

Id really appreciate any help as I am finding this very frustrating. I cant see anything that covers it on the www.

Master Sync is on.
Hotmail Account
S4 running 4.4.2

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I've just set up my new S4 (transferred from iphone) and the option to have emails pushed is missing. Anyone got an ideas if this option is coming back or why it has gone?

Id really appreciate any help as I am finding this very frustrating. I cant see anything that covers it on the www.

Master Sync is on.
Hotmail Account
S4 running 4.4.2

It's automatic, you don't need to do anything.

ultraburner

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi mhinc,

It is automatic but the minimum sync time is 5 minutes. On the iphone its instant. I've looked everywhere for the Push option like in the iphone but it doesnt appear to exist.

Cheers UB

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
minimum sync time is 5 minutes.

Huh? Push doesn't really have a sync time--it doesn't poll. The server will send a notification instantly and the email client should also immediately query the server. There is an IDLE interval that sends a keep a live ping at intervals to prevent the local router/network from disconnecting. 5 minutes should be fine for most systems--mine is set to 24 minutes and it stays connected.

K9 Mail has it's own setting for IDLE. Otherwise you might try Push Notification Fixer to change the interval.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.andqlimax.pushfixer.noroot&token=LZJOSf8x

ultraburner

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Judh,

Sorry dude but i dont really understand what you are referring to. On the Samsung I have to wait for 5 minutes before the phone collects emails. On the iphone they are instant. Its the instant delivery of the iphone I want on the samsung.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ah, then I suspect you're not using push at all--the email app is polling the server (hey server do I have mail?) every x minutes (in your case 5). With push the email app doesn't poll-it waits for the server to notify it there is mail waiting. Much easier on battery. What email app are you using? With K9 you configure each mailbox folder for push or poll. I haven't used the built in apps in years--I know the Gmail app does push not sure about the other. You may have it configured for the POP server instead of the IMAP server. Maybe someone else can respond more on the built in apps.

ultraburner

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi JudH,

I'm using Hotmail at the moment but I do have POP accounts that I will want to work in the same way. I'm just surprised that you buy a phone then have to bin the built in stuff for 3rd party products. I guess when you have an iphone stuff just works, shame the interface is so dated.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Unless something has changed you have to configure hotmail as exchange to get push working.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/15058/android-setup-hotmail-as-push-email-using-exchange-activesync/

I don't believe POP supports push at all--you must use IMAP. If your email doesn't have imap you could set another online email (that does support imap) to pick up your pop mail via polling and then push to the phone--that would at least offload the polling on the phone. I think that's what iPhone and BBS do for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174