Endless loop after update to 6.0.1

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I received the update on my Nexus 7 2013 Wifi yesterday and it went into a bootloop after applying the 6.0.1 OTA update. It downloaded and verified the OTA, re-started, did the colored balls for a few moments, and optimized the apps. Then, it keeps looping through the colored balls and the optimized apps screen. Unable to power off or even get into recovery mode.
I finally let the battery run down so it would shut off. This morning I plugged into the charger and let it charge. When I tried to power up all i get is the same colored balls/optimized apps loop.

I raised the issue on the google nexus forum and there are several others experiencing the same problem.

Sorry it seems i posted this in the wrong place belongs in Nexus 7 (2013). Moderator please move to correct place. Thx.

Last edited:

ChairSpud

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Endless loop after update to Nexus 7(2013)

That's interesting, I rec'd the same update yesterday and didn't experience the boot problem you did but it did fix the slow WiFi connect issue. Now this am the update won't download to my second Nexus 7 WiFi so maybe was pulled after others experience the same problem you have had?

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Endless loop after update to Nexus 7(2013)

Just an update. Spent about 40min on the phone with google tech support and they got me back to normal.
Basically, it took three tries at wiping cache and FDR, to get back to normal. Person on phone was very patient and was surprised when the first cache wipe / followed by FDR didn't work and only brought me back to the loop. So we tried the same procedure again, same thing. Then the third time was the charm, cache wipe / FDR worked and got back to normal with level 6.0.1. Don't know why it took multiple tries.
I suggest that if you haven't tried do a cache wipe followed by an FDR, even if it means 2 or 3 tries.

Otherwise, get on the phone to tech support.

1eyedjack

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I just got the update this afternoon. Installed, did a cache wipe and all is well so far. Same for my Daughter's N7 2013, 32GB WiFi only.

OP, glad yours is back in service...

Posted via Android Central App

juliandid

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
how you perform a cache wipe?
please explain
when I try to boot - after the unlock screen screen it says - " no command" above the little roboto

juliandid

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
still no go for me.
I did 4 wipe partitions (googled - on how to perform it) still stuck after showing the unlocked screen , then the android bot with the no command text written in red above it.
never! had a problem with this 2013 nexus 7 - 6.0 installed without a hitch

sftl97

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
how you perform a cache wipe?
please explain
when I try to boot - after the unlock screen screen it says - " no command" above the little roboto
Juliandid - after the cache wipe did you do a FDR? you may have to redo the sequence a few times, as I mentioned in my post above, it took me 3 tries to finally get up an running.
If you're still experiencing problems, I suggest you post in the google nexus forum. There's also a form you can fill out and request a call back from google tech support.

hope this helps.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
The litte Android with 'no command' means you are one step away from invoking the recovery menu (presumably you were attempting to wipe the cache from the recovery menu). Have a look at this step-by-step guide explaining how to wipe the cache partition.

If your tablet still doesn't boot, you could try a factory reset from the recovery menu as well. And if you're comfortable with stuff like installing a USB driver for your tablet on your computer, you could use the Nexus Root Toolkit to flash a pristine 6.0.1 stock factory image on your Nexus 7. The tool is very easy to use and walks you through the process of recovering from a boot loop.

zsekevin

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
My wife's Nexus 7 received the OTA update today and is now stuck on the "Google" screen. I tried to go through the recovery mode to wipe the cache partition I can't get the recovery mode to start. Instead of the android on his back screen, it goes back to the "Google" splash screen and stays there. Any ideas??

fed123

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
This happened to my wifi Nexus 7 2012 with Lollipop and I was never able to get it going again. Not taking any chances with my Nexus 7 LTE 2013. Happy to let it die on Kit Kat.

caffeinated pants

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
This happened to my wifi Nexus 7 2012 with Lollipop and I was never able to get it going again. Not taking any chances with my Nexus 7 LTE 2013. Happy to let it die on Kit Kat.

That's a shame — I upgraded from Kitkat directly to Marshmallow, and it is quite amazing how much of a difference it makes.. it really feels like a totally different tablet. Mine is also the LTE version. I used the Nexus Root Toolkit to flash a MM factory image, since then up to date with OTAs. Very simple process.

juliandid

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I have solved the problem finally with your help and googling around.
I followed this guide and flashed from a dos prompt - which is found in the windows/start/accessories folder in win 7.
I downloaded all the files needed, stuck them all in one folder, and patiently deleted all the old drivers relating to any phone, tablet, google, or the like.
Installed new drivers, verified they worked, figured out when fastboot would connect on the Nexus recovery menu and so on.
It took a while - but I manged to get it all right the first shot.;)
Installed 6.01 and I am back in business.
Marshmallow sure is nice on this tablet.
Now, I am waiting for a stable method of rooting to come around
Here's the guide I religiously followed.
remove the under scores I have inserted in the link to follow it.
https:__//drive.google.__com/file/d/0Bz6x7k-VkpUJU09paVM5cmh2Xzg/view?pref=2&pli=1
here's a screen shot of my flash folder flash_folder.png
I hope this helps some one else.

beachfl1

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
I have solved the problem... 6.01 and I am back in business.... I am waiting for a stable method of rooting to come around
Here's the guide I religiously followed.
remove the under scores I have inserted in the link to follow it.
https:__//drive.google.__com/file/d/0Bz6x7k-VkpUJU09paVM5cmh2Xzg/view?pref=2&pli=1

Very happy for you that you sorted it 🎉

Couple tips:
- if you choose to flash all the parts of the new OS individually as recommended in that link rather than run the included batch file (which is fine), you can retain all your apps, data, and settings by skipping the flash (and the optional reformat mentioned later) of the userdata.img file.

- there's no need to relock the bootloader after flashing the new image (./fastboot oem lock), and in fact you'll have to unlock it again if you want to root, which would lose any new userdata.

- On rooting, Chainfire's SuperSU is very stable and ready for prime time on Marshmallow. I see he's posted auto-root for both the WiFi and LTE Nexus 7 (2013) tabs running MMB29K. Although I have only used TWRP to flash the SuperSU binaries in the last few versions, I'm quite sure you can trust anything Chainfire's posted. Let us know how you get on.

Good luck 🎭

Last edited:

Kstar123

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I am experiencing this same thing, endless loop of colored balls, then updating 27 apps can't shut off,can't do anything. .Help!!?? please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oldersod