Epic 4g Review Floodgates

Lupevalenz#AC

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Android is about CHOICE- so GIVE IT TO US. If I can get these from the market- then I have no gripe- but if I must ROOT to enjoy the phone that I thought I was getting- I may as well go elsewhere. I want to buy a phone and use it- not hack the dang thing.

I am happy that Android is giving us Choice because first thing I'm doing is slapping on Launcher Pro Plus, just can't stand the Launcher on this device. :mad:

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
When will Android Central be posting a review?

the cnet and engadget reviews are done with a phone in the presence of a PR person. They send out phones to groups that are going to be more ind depth and possibley catch real problems a bit later

Phone#IM

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
"It also comes pre-loaded with “Sprint Navigation” (Google Navigation is on there as well so you now have two built-in navigational options at your disposal). Speaking of GPS, the EPIC doesn’t appear to be suffering from the GPS bug that its touch-screen brethren are. Oh, and Sprint Mobile Hotspot is also included."

That is a quote from BGR impressions

So far Engadget is the only site to report GPS issues every other site claims it is fine

Aero

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
So far Engadget is the only site to report GPS issues every other site claims it is fine

NOPE no other site claims GPS is fine. they simply didn't test it.

No site mentioned it on their equivalent first review of prior samsung galaxies either -- and Samsung says there is a problem wit them and the Epic which they are working on..
the initial reviews you are quoting are not comprehensive at all, they are brief looks.

I am optimistic about a fix, and don't think the extant problem is severe, but I think we will know when people here fully test it and not before.

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site

Saw BGR's initial impressions and felt it was the best one so far and it wasn't even a full review. I think a lot of these sites would benefit to take some time with these phones and stop just trying to be "First". It's the internet...it's not going anywhere. Seems like it would make more sense to be the latest review rather than first...so you know what to look for or what others have missed.

Last edited:

Eazail70x7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to add that the Epic 4G DOES have HQ youtube. The PCmag reviewer must not have known that you can hit menu and select "watch in High Quality". Also when Samsung gets 2.2 on this thing, it will have the "HQ" youtube button we are used to seeing on desktop youtube and the EVO 4G.

I too am a little disappointed about them not including the samsung music player but I expected this due to all the images showing the vanilla music icon on the epic 4G while all the other Galaxy S models had "samsung music" icon. Hopefully the hackers can get this app on the Epic 4G where it belongs... (And add a widget for it while their at it as well)

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Ya, these reviews so far have been pretty lame IMO. I would love to see someone that actually has standards and integrity do one. Anandtech or Arstechnica plz.

gotthelife4u

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Finally! Noah's the one actually doing the unboxing. His reviews are the most unbiased and they are actually more exciting than other reviews. Thanks for the link, Drizek.:)

He did a live unboxing of the Epic yesterday around 2:30 pm Pacific time. It was cool because he hung around in the live chat for like an hour and answered questions. Phonedog FTW!!!

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, once I see a Phonedog review, I just shrug and click on it, but when I see it's Noah, I immediately become interested. IMO, he is one of the best reviewers out there all without being bland or boring.

drizek

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
He seemed a bit uninformed ( "verizon fascinating", "T-Mobile Vibrate"), and a pure unboxing without having used the phone previously is not as good as a review.

Hopefully they will do a more in depth one.

I generally dislike BGR, but I am kinda looking forward to their review as well.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
That phone was used, otherwise there would have been a setup screen. It wasn't truly the first time it was turned on, but no worries, at least we know whats in the box.

NSS

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Pretty good review by MobileBurn, he did a great job showing off all the aspects of the phone. I know people were complaining about e-mail but it seems that he didn't think it was bad at all. Only thing I'm wondering about is if I should keep the video chat (qik) or replace it with another such as fring.

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
MobileBurn posted a nice video review. You can find the link in my first post ^^

OMG! Finally I find out...the phone rotates without opening the keyboard!. In Part 2 around the 2:21 mark he's in the browser and turns the phone. It rotates and he didn't open the keyboard. Nice! Definitely puts this phone back to the top of my list.

I would like to see the 4G connection issue clear up though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAB