Essential PH-1: What case are you using?

deppi0

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I have the viva Madrid case and it's a great fit. Pretty thin but seems to be a decent protection.
In my opinion after using the Essential for 8 months without a case it is not slippery at all. The phone is actually pretty resistant to small falls but the screen will crack in a bad drop.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I still like the case. The added grip makes the slippery pure white a lot easier to hold. Also prevents it from sliding off couch and surfaces that aren't completely flat. Feels better than more expensive Spigen cases I've used on other phones.

msp1518

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I finally received the clear Tudia and Incipio cases here in China and currently have the Tudia on my phone. It seems to be more compatible with screen protectors AND the good news it, i really like it. Feels great in the hand and shows off the ceramic build.

msr360

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
I installed the full body phantomskinz and it just didn't work out too well. lol

Got bubbles on the back and front, ended up having to do a warranty replacement..
. sucks!

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I installed the full body phantomskinz and it just didn't work out too well. lol

Got bubbles on the back and front, ended up having to do a warranty replacement..
. sucks!
The IQ Shield works great with no bubbles after 24-36 hours. I wouldn't put a protector on the back or sides since I like the feel of the titanium and matte ceramic.

Matt Roche

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
I've been thinking of going completely naked... Just ordered one to try out, it's made of ceramic and titanium isn't that technically a case on its own?

If it drops it dies. Screen cracks very easily, and it is $200 to fix.

I thought it was going to be strong. I am now poorer and wiser.

Randy Ohio

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I just received the Revised Poetic Guardian case yesterday. When I took it out of the package I didn't like it. I had a film screen protector on the phone since day one which was in bad shape. I tried putting the phone in the case and it looked terrible. I decided to remove the screen protector and go all in. To my amazement it actually looked amazing with only minimal rainbow effect. There is no loss of touch sensitivity and the rubber plug for the charging port worked flawlessly. After one day I'm very pleased with the screen saver aspect as well as the feel of the case. It's somewhat of a fingerprint magnet, both front and rear, which I consider minor to finally be able to get rid of the horrible film screen protector. Also, I have zero issues with the phone being lose and sliding around inside. I tried shaking it and felt nothing. I'm super excited d at this point!!

Last edited:

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
If it drops it dies. Screen cracks very easily, and it is $200 to fix.

I thought it was going to be strong. I am now poorer and wiser.

Glass is glass, any phone is in danger of the screen cracking if it is dropped. Like most current mid to high end phones, the Essential is using Gorilla Glass 5. And, like any phone, if it hits wrong (on even a relatively short drop) the screen will crack. From what I've seen, from testing done, people here, and my own use (where it survived a couple of drops sliding off a table) the Essential screen is no worse, though no better, than any other flagship. OTOH, the back and sides should be stronger, though they can still scratch or crack if they fall wrong.

Matt Roche

Mar 30, 2018
Visit site
Glass is glass, any phone is in danger of the screen cracking if it is dropped. Like most current mid to high end phones, the Essential is using Gorilla Glass 5. And, like any phone, if it hits wrong (on even a relatively short drop) the screen will crack. From what I've seen, from testing done, people here, and my own use (where it survived a couple of drops sliding off a table) the Essential screen is no worse, though no better, than any other flagship. OTOH, the back and sides should be stronger, though they can still scratch or crack if they fall wrong.

Not sure why everyone feels compelled to respond like this.

I was responding to someone who said they were thinking (like I did) that when Essential shows a phone without a case dropping on a concrete floor on their site that their phone would survive a moderate drop without a case. Mine dropped 2 feet and shattered, my brothers fell from lower than that and shattered. He was lucky that Best Buy gave him a refund.

Do not use this phone without a case. It is not magic. The glass will break, and in my experience it is the most fragile phone that I have ever owned.

get. a. case.

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
no case here. I have a tempered glass screen protector and card ninja wallet stuck to the back. this is my set up for any phone I use and it's perfect for me. I also cut a small slit in the card ninja and slid in a magnet disc for my magnetic card mount in my car and at work.

I like the feel of this phone and putting a case in it never entered my mind.

msr360

Oct 30, 2017
Visit site
no case here. I have a tempered glass screen protector and card ninja wallet stuck to the back. this is my set up for any phone I use and it's perfect for me. I also cut a small slit in the card ninja and slid in a magnet disc for my magnetic card mount in my car and at work.

I like the feel of this phone and putting a case in it never entered my mind.

Which tempered glass do you have installed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meip