Estimated U.S. Availabilkity & Price of LG G5?

consultant1027

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
The new LG G5 will be "unveiled" on Feb 21. I want to know, more importantly, approximately when will I actually be able to go to a carrier and buy one in the U.S. and around how much will it cost?

It's been a couple years since I bought a new phone and so I can't remember what the typical 'lag time' is between when they unveil the device as a big show to when places like AT&T, Verizon, etc actually have the device for sale. Within days? A month?

I've seen some pretty crazy estimates on the U.S. Retail Price, like
$900. Yes the specs are impressive, but I think that would not make the device competetive as people aren't going to spend that much on a phone even on a 30-month payment plan. Technology is suppose to get CHEAPER over time (example: cost of memory chips, SSDs, Flat-panel TVs, etc. etc.)

My own guesstimate is that the phone won't actually be on sale at the carrier until around a month after the unveiling -- although I would think in order to capitalize on the "buzz" from the initial announcement it would be in their best interest to have the phone in carrier stores within a week? Or is it more important to get the announcement out period?

As far as price my guts says all manufacturers are going to not price above an iPhone 6 or 6s. A full price 64GB iPhone 6s at AT&T is $750 right now so I would say the G5 will not be more than that. The G4 is currently $463 at AT&T or basically $263 if you get it at Best Buy with the $200 gift card you get when you buy it. Obviously AT&T/Best Buy are trying to reduce G4 inventory in prep for the G5 release. The G5 has better specs (of course) then the G4, but from a practicaly standpoint, is it worth three times the price? I think not.

My guess is the new G5 from a carrier will be $699 - or $$23.30/month + taxes for a 32GB version. These companies love to capitalize on the idiots that have money to spend and want the very latest device.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Estimated U.S. Availabilkity & Price of LG G5?

I doubt the G5 will be available in US carrier stores less than a few weeks from the announcement. The G4 event was on April 28th and I wasn't able to get a G4 until late May. LG seems to make their phones available in several markets before the US. $699 sounds about right since that's the price of the AT&T V10.

I'll most likely pass on the G5 if it has a smaller screen and doesn't have back buttons. I also like the experience of buying unlocked phones and not having to deal with carrier bloatware and delayed software updates.

carlos12001

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing $599, lg always prices their phones competitively. The v10 is more than the G4 and rightfully so, it's a much better built phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
If you like paying retail plus the price of hype, get it right when it is available.

LG's drop very quickly in price. Wait until October and it will be in the $350 range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali