Everybody got drain!! lol

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
So "Cell Standby" drain affects Verizon too? That's a pretty big Cell Standby number (18%), though not anywhere in the range of my T-Mobile which usually winds the day up between 30-40% Cell Standby drain. Please let us know how things progress. Thanks for posting screenshots.

Yes I'm having issues on Verizon. It appears to be WiFi related. I'm using GSam monitor which helps break it down a little more. My battery only drained about 4% though the night and that's with all the radios on and connected to WiFi. Now today walking around the mall for a little over an hour (not connected to WiFi) and I get this. I'm at home now but next time I go out I'm going to test my battery drain with WiFi off.

Also, WiFi and Phone Radio on GSam are both combined into Cell Standby on the Samsung monitor so if you have high cell standby I recommend downloading GSam so you can see which is the actual culprit. 1428785211500.jpg

So my WiFi dropped my battery about 5% on its own over that hour when I wasn't even connected to WiFi. In fact, half of that time I was actually on the phone calling Verizon getting my replacement sent out to me.

I also have the issues with scratches all over my screen so replacing this phone is an easy choice.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
DAY 3: I think those teaks may have worked. Took the phone off the charger @ 7:08. I have 8h 22m on battery, screen is 3h 34m, cell standby has been @ 1percent since last night, and I have 39 percent left.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Right now im sitting at 65% battery life left 11hr 14min off charger 1hr 29min SOT. My cell standby is sitting at 11% though. Even my Android OS and Google services are sitting at 10% and 4% respectively. To me those are even high considering the screen is sitting at 2%.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Right now im sitting at 65% battery life left 11hr 14min off charger 1hr 29min SOT. My cell standby is sitting at 11% though. Even my Android OS and Google services are sitting at 10% and 4% respectively. To me those are even high considering the screen is sitting at 2%.

Given your low screen on time, those numbers actually seem reasonable to me.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Until my Note 4 upgraded to lollipop i have never seen cell standby that high. Most certainly never saw it the top drain on the battery to take 11%. Sitting at 16% now so its draining about 2.5% per hour doing nothing. As a point of reference my wifes Note 3 has been unplugged just as long and has a bit over a hour of screen time and only 7% cell stand by drain. Also where her wifi has only used a marginal amount of battery, like a few %, my wifi drain is sitting at 23%. I know I can get 4+ hours of constant on screen time but the fact remains the phone could last a whole lot longer if these things were not draining as badly as they are. Something is definitely going on to cause a much higher drain in these areas with the same use as a device still on KK.

Kyle Tate

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea where some of the battery issues are coming from. All I can say to begin with is that I wish everybody's experience with their phone was as great as mine was today. It is 9 PM and for the last 12 hours I have been logging into most of the apps that I use the most on my phone, I streamed 30 minutes of live video for STL FC and watched it in full screen, I talked on the phone for apparently an hour and a half, at least 9 to 12 apps were updated at some point, I took a few pictures and uploaded them, a half a dozen, I shot a thirty second video, I upgraded a few contacts and may be sent 20 text messages back and forth.

I showed off the edge streaming three times but for the most part that feature was left idle. Whatever help you all gave me, I currently have 56% of my battery left or nine hours according to the system. Granted I turn off most functions which I deem or feel or needless to say power. I was NOT in power saving mode, my brightness was probably in the 60% range for most of the day, I never use auto as it's always too dark, and when I was watching the video I kicked it all the way up. That's the only time when I could really noticed the battery go down a little. I feel 100% confident this charge would get me through tomorrow. Again I followed a lot of tweaks that were recommended on here which I so appreciate, but I find absolutely no drain on the battery and I find it equal to the S4, the S5, if not better.

Again, I wish I were one and the same love of their phone as I experienced today!

GWaLL13

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
I think it also depends on how conscious you are of taking certain steps to try and be a battery saver. I personally ALWAYS close out of apps, even if I need to open them again in 5 minutes, just to eliminate any apps running needlessly in the background. If I don't need it, it is off... Location remains off at all times unless I use yelp or maps. S Voice wake up is off, even certain gestures that I don't really need, because they'll run in the background ready for use. A bunch of little things add up to a lot.

via the AC App on my S6 Edge

alex346

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
Here are my wife's battery stats for her first full day with here s6 edge... I check the screen on time just before plugging it into the charger and she was at just under 5 hours... 4:48 to be exact... Here brightness was set to auto and WiFi, Bluetooth & gps were on all day... Battery didn't fair to bad in my opinion

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 10422.jpg
    10422.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 31

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon here. Wifi idle drain is bad but fine when left on 4GLTE.

uploadfromtaptalk1428841282661.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428841288708.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428841293830.jpguploadfromtaptalk1428841299096.jpg

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

PRidd

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Fully charged at 11pm with WiFi on. 9 hours later at 8am I have 95% left. Even had a couple apps update through the night.

Verizon, 64gb.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Verizon here. Wifi idle drain is bad but fine when left on 4GLTE.

View attachment 171034View attachment 171035View attachment 171036View attachment 171037

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

I have the same WiFi idle drain on Verizon. I'm happy to see those pictures to see what my phone could do without it. This morning I cleared the cache and I'll try again and see if it's fixed. If that's not working, tomorrow I'll go the whole day with WiFi off and see how it does.

It's all for nothing though because my phone is one of the ones with the dozens of scratches all over the screen so my replacement is on the way. Hopefully the new one will be fine without any tweaks.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
So one guy reports this and it's a world-wide issue? I don't understand why people create panic situations from one or a few isolated reports. There are so many variables. If most are reporting the issue, that's another story.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
So one guy reports this and it's a world-wide issue? I don't understand why people create panic situations from one or a few isolated reports. There are so many variables. If most are reporting the issue, that's another story.

Who are you referring to? I think most issues that people are having aren't just 1 single isolated incident. Some devices are having issues whether it's software or hardware related. It's not to say that everybody has these issues or even the majority of people do. It's pretty clear that it is the minority that do or else this would be all over the Internet and not just restricted to a few threads on a S6 forum.

kmod75

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Am I understanding correctly that the issue only comes up when you have the wifi on? Last night, I had the wifi on and hit 12% on cell standby. The battery was definitly draining at a fairly fast rate, but in the phone's defense, this is the only time I've paid attention to it.

Sorry for the ignorance, don't fully understand what cell standby is.

What I did find odd - I was on wifi sending my wife pics from my son's b-day yesterday. Sending them via the stock Messages app. (texting). Although I was on wifi, my 4gLTE icon was in use as well. Never experienced this on my previous Nexus 5. When I was on wifi with the Nexus 5, cell data was completely shut off.

AT&T 32gb S6 Edge

Michael Bardsley

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I'M ONE OF THEM. I have a 2 month old Samsung Galaxy Note 4 that worked just fine, but after letting Lollipop 5.0 install on it, I'm eating up battery more than twice as fast. Now my 4G and 'bars' stay lit up on the phone even when I'm on WIFI at home or work, which is where I'm assuming the drain is occurring. This bug occured on my SGN2, but when I killed a Verizon app called "caller name id", it fixed things. I've killed it on my SGN4 and the "voice mail" app which constantly wants to tell ME that I've had activity {even when I'm just checking my voice mail}. Killing these have not put the issue to bed like it did on the SGN2.

There's also a bug with capitalization of sentences after the first sentence regardless if I'm using email or text and dictating by voice. If I type, the additional sentences capitalize correctly. It's only happening when using voice. Then again, if I say "new line" and the cursor moves down to a 'new line', THAT sentence capitalizes correctly. There may be other issues, but these two tick me off specifically.

Yes. Since putting in Lollipop 5.0, I'm having massive battery drain for only having a 2 month old device.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Am I understanding correctly that the issue only comes up when you have the wifi on? Last night, I had the wifi on and hit 12% on cell standby. The battery was definitly draining at a fairly fast rate, but in the phone's defense, this is the only time I've paid attention to it.

Sorry for the ignorance, don't fully understand what cell standby is.

What I did find odd - I was on wifi sending my wife pics from my son's b-day yesterday. Sending them via the stock Messages app. (texting). Although I was on wifi, my 4gLTE icon was in use as well. Never experienced this on my previous Nexus 5. When I was on wifi with the Nexus 5, cell data was completely shut off.

AT&T 32gb S6 Edge

Everybody seems to be having different issues but my issue is the same as yours. I can't tell if my battery is draining fast when connected to WiFi but it definitely drains fast when the WiFi radio is on but not connected. I only lost about 4% battery over night when connected to WiFi so it didn't seem to affect anything then, but if I'm outside the home and don't turn off my WiFi radio the battery drains really fast.

Also, I'm showing the 4g and WiFi symbol at the same time and my previous phone GS3 did not do this. Not sure if this is a new thing in Android or part of the problem. Can somebody with a normal working phone comment on this?

DocRid

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Everybody seems to be having different issues but my issue is the same as yours. I can't tell if my battery is draining fast when connected to WiFi but it definitely drains fast when the WiFi radio is on but not connected. I only lost about 4% battery over night when connected to WiFi so it didn't seem to affect anything then, but if I'm outside the home and don't turn off my WiFi radio the battery drains really fast.

Also, I'm showing the 4g and WiFi symbol at the same time and my previous phone GS3 did not do this. Not sure if this is a new thing in Android or part of the problem. Can somebody with a normal working phone comment on this?

It just shows you what's available now, not necessarily what's being used. When something is being used the up/down arrows turn white.

Nickanthony

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm not satisfied at all with the battery so far on this phone. I'm not as bad as some people here but I still lost 20% of battery last night with no edge screen stuff running and never touching it once. 20% battery loss over 6 hours without ever using the phone is just dumb. My old moto x 2013 never lost more than 5%. And to the people complaining about those who don't charge their phone at night. Maybe they're just like me. I charge every night but I wanted to test the phone so I purposely left it off the charger. Also, if the phone can't make it through a night, how can you expect it to make it through the day while being used periodically?

I see a lot of people here talking about VoLTE and that it's okay to turn it off. I've searched all over the internet to find this setting and saw some examples of other phones running Lollipop but it looks different than mine and I still can't find the setting. Galaxy S6 Edge. Thanks.

Peter2015

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
To: nickanthony275

Settings/Connections/Mobile networks/Mobile Data. then switch "Enhanced 4G LTE" services off.
I didn't find it has any effect on battery drain. Not that I complain though. GS6 Edge's battery life as exactly the same as on my iphone 6 which i got used to. so i am Ok with this. I must admit I expected more though, but oh well.. all phones batteries suck nowadays unless you get something like galaxy note.

j1787

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I took my phone off the charger at 9:12 this morning. This is where I'm at now. I haven't done anything aside a 30 minute conference call and some browsing. What do you all think?

uploadfromtaptalk1428938536040.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rnsd84