Evo HDMI out mirroring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingtheproducer

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
@orebbmas I just signed up to AC and came from XDA. I cant wait to hear more information about the release and testing!

Sorry to get off subject but I LOOKED like a fool to my girlfriend for the past 6 months and there was no HTC push of HDMI mirroring, cause we bought the HDMI cable with our EVO's. She would always say that we wasted our money on a worthless wire, ALWAYS and I always felt stupid but GUESS WHO'S RIGHT NOW MAMA!!!!

GO OREBBMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I posted another video. Forgive the out of focus areas, and the changing light. I need to do this with a better camera. I am using my brothers Evo as the video camera, and I am in a poorly lit area.

YouTube - Using fullHDMI and a remote desktop app

My idea here was to use the fullHDMI app along with a remote desktop app. What I did was logged into the server here at work from my Evo. On my evo, if I zoom completely out, everything gets degraded at full resolution.

Which in turn means that it gets degraded on the monitor. I found the optimal resolution to be one step higher than the native res of the Evo. 800x600 was the setting I used in the remote desktop app.

The result was pretty cool. I was able to use the screen of the Evo as sort of a multi-touch mouse. If I had a bluetooth keyboard, I could pair that up, and do some serious remote desktop use from the phone.

The advantage to doing this with orrebmas app is that I could use a full monitor. The monitor lets you look at the whole desktop from the remote without squinting. When you zoom out fully on the Evo the icons are actually pretty small, which is why the app supports pinch to zoom. By projecting it on to the monitor, it allows you to be more productive, and instead of focusing on small areas of the desktop, you can look at the whole desktop at once.

I have been working on projecting some AVI files using V-player. The problem I am running into is not with the fullHDMI app alone, it's that with the app running, plus V-player running, my processor starts to lag.

Even with all this going on, it's not terrible, some minor tweaks, and I think it would be very useable. On a smaller AVI file it actually ran pretty smooth with the only exception being that the video would lag behind the audio periodically. On higher definition videos, I started to see alot more pixelation, but the audio kept up better.

I am going to try a few other file types, and other players. I will also be putting on a kernel that lets me overclock, to see if that helps. Again, this forum will be the first to hear of any new updates.

Thanks Bradley thats what Iam wanted to see. Now I have two questions first how did you get homeacreen to work in Landscape and second it was very lagy is that because you had it hooked up to the remote app. And when do you think we are all going to see this on the market.

bradleyw801

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Bradley thats what Iam wanted to see. Now I have two questions first how did you get homeacreen to work in Landscape and second it was very lagy is that because you had it hooked up to the remote app. And when do you think we are all going to see this on the market.

Landscape orientation was an update he put in the day I tried this. Landscape, as the developer said it would, had a much lower frame rate. He is aware of this, and according to him, he has solved it already, but needs more time to get it packaged.

A lot of the jumpiness, was actually the way my brother's phone recorded it. It was smoother than it looked on the video, but again, the same disclaimer here, it's still an alpha. So, yes, there are some bugs.

Last I heard from the dev, he was pretty stoked about the progress he has right now. Don't quote me, and don't try to hold him to my word, but I think this will be publicly available VERY soon.

If I were to bet on it, I would put money down that in less than a week from now, we see a full release.

Some of the features in the full release may include, full portrait and landscape mode, controls for resizing to fit any screen, possible hardware acceleration, a frame rate high enough to easily support any video, and faster response between the touchscreen and monitor for smooth gaming.

He has full plans to support AOSP, but you may not see that in the very first release. Those of you on AOSP roms, I made the switch back, and trust me, it's worth it. Just do a nand backup of your current rom and have it handy, and in due time, you will have everything you ever wanted without any compromise.

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Landscape orientation was an update he put in the day I tried this. Landscape, as the developer said it would, had a much lower frame rate. He is aware of this, and according to him, he has solved it already, but needs more time to get it packaged.

A lot of the jumpiness, was actually the way my brother's phone recorded it. It was smoother than it looked on the video, but again, the same disclaimer here, it's still an alpha. So, yes, there are some bugs.

Last I heard from the dev, he was pretty stoked about the progress he has right now. Don't quote me, and don't try to hold him to my word, but I think this will be publicly available VERY soon.

If I were to bet on it, I would put money down that in less than a week from now, we see a full release.

Some of the features in the full release may include, full portrait and landscape mode, controls for resizing to fit any screen, possible hardware acceleration, a frame rate high enough to easily support any video, and faster response between the touchscreen and monitor for smooth gaming.

He has full plans to support AOSP, but you may not see that in the very first release. Those of you on AOSP roms, I made the switch back, and trust me, it's worth it. Just do a nand backup of your current rom and have it handy, and in due time, you will have everything you ever wanted without any compromise.

Thanks allot again Bradley and thats just amazing he was able to make the landscape orentantion which the droid incredible or droid x dont
even have with its HDMI capabilites.
And again give him thanks for all his amazing work and progress. Glad to hear he already has everything worked out and is working on packaging. All Evo owners are really dieng to get an ability that was deemed never possible. And if we are going to be able to get this ability next week would amazing.

Last edited:

kingtheproducer

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
@bradleyw801 AWESOME!! Thanks for the update!!! I am so glad that this is coming out better than the Droid X's "Real HDMI", ITS HORRIBLE that you have to guess where you are pressing. Anyways, awesome awesome awesome!!!!:D:D:D

bradleyw801

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
@EvoSickness

I just re-read this and realized I may have actually misunderstood your question. The fullHDMI app does support rotating the display on your monitor or TV to be in landscape orientation.

If you were asking about the actual disply on my phone, that is because I use an alternative launcher. I use ADW. I believe LauncherPro and many others also support turning the home screen to landscape and adjusting the icons.

I wish Sense did, because I like the widgets for sense. But that's another topic.

lakers2416

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Orrebmas- great job, excellent progress
Bradley- thanks for the timely and descriptive updates

Myn at xda is working on the Desire Z port to the Evo where that has landscape Sense. He also has plans to inplement hdmi into it so we can go landscape hdmi sense!

surferdude51

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
THIS is the feature i have been so patiently waiting for. The second this app comes out, i will be purchasing/downloading it. Slingplayer through HDMI on the evo looks great so far (a little more work needed), but im very very optimistic that after waiting SO DAMN LONG, we will finally be blessed with such an amazing capability. GO DEV GO!!!!! :)

EvoSickness

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
@EvoSickness

I just re-read this and realized I may have actually misunderstood your question. The fullHDMI app does support rotating the display on your monitor or TV to be in landscape orientation.

If you were asking about the actual disply on my phone, that is because I use an alternative launcher. I use ADW. I believe LauncherPro and many others also support turning the home screen to landscape and adjusting the icons.

I wish Sense did, because I like the widgets for sense. But that's another topic.
Yeah I was asking about the Orientation on the phone but since you said the He made it possible for the orientation on the screen your using than it should be great any ways. So for the launcher you use do you need to be rooted cuz if not I would just download them fron the market if they are avaible there.

Last edited:

Jpatterson350

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I was asking about the Orientation on the phone but since you said the He made it possible for the orientation on the screen your using than it should be great any ways. So for the launcher you use do you need to be rooted cuz if not I would just download them fron the market if they are avaible there.

Hope you dont mind me jumping in on your question but launcher pro and ADW both offer landscape mode without rooting and are available in the android market.

Best regards,

bradleyw801

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I've created a short youtube video with a review of Full HDMI for the HTC EVO running Sling Box. I can tell you that this app is still in the alpha stages however it's running very well. Orrebmas said this app is coming soon so check out the video and stay tuned! -> YouTube - Full HDMI for HTC EVO Developed by orrebmas @ Android Central

Really well done video! That's a much better production than mine. Also thanks for fielding the launcher/root question.

Did you have any issues with the video falling behind the audio? Like you said in the vid, if this is how well testing is going on the alpha, I think we are all going to be amazed at what orrebmas has planned going forward.

bradleyw801

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
I Want to test this i just got a HDMI cable and im not impressed with the stock abilities at all

That is exactly how I felt. I had the cable before I had the phone. I actually pre-ordered my Evo and I got it in June on the release day. Little did I know that the cable I had hunted down didn't do anything I expected it to. These cables are a lot more readily available now, but you still can't walk into any electronics store and grab them. Which I think shows what a non feature this is stock. If the HDMI did this stock, you would see sprint, best buy, and everyone else pushing them as an accessory.

If anyone here wants tips on where to find these cables, just ask. I am sure that anyone who bought one recently would be glad to help you out. What you are looking for is a micro HDMI cable. I believe the largest manufacturer is Molex. That's the brand I got and is the one I have done all my testing with.

I bought mine months ago. Has anyone found any good deals recently?

chadm424

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly how I felt. I had the cable before I had the phone. I actually pre-ordered my Evo and I got it in June on the release day. Little did I know that the cable I had hunted down didn't do anything I expected it to. These cables are a lot more readily available now, but you still can't walk into any electronics store and grab them. Which I think shows what a non feature this is stock. If the HDMI did this stock, you would see sprint, best buy, and everyone else pushing them as an accessory.

If anyone here wants tips on where to find these cables, just ask. I am sure that anyone who bought one recently would be glad to help you out. What you are looking for is a micro HDMI cable. I believe the largest manufacturer is Molex. That's the brand I got and is the one I have done all my testing with.

I bought mine months ago. Has anyone found any good deals recently?

Got mine from Best Buy for 29.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apalme22