EVO Owner Reviews

Happy with your Evo?

• Total voters

crcr

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Cons: (Just my Opinion -- Coming from Palm Pre)

*A ton more steps to get rid of apps
*A ton more steps to delete apps

There are several apps in the Market that will uninstall apps quickly with hardly any steps. Search "uninstaller" and you will find them.

Also, with several of the free home alternatives, Launcher Pro, and Home++ being two of them, you can uninstall apps by just holding the app a bit longer before dropping it in the trash. But I have a Droid right now -- haven't had an Android phone with Sense UI yet, so don't know if you can use home alternatives on the EVO.

thatsmerb

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I love my Evo, however I have a few issues I am working out relating to my battery life and some app issues.

Battery:
Battery drains way to quick. Installed Task Manager (App Killer), made a few adjustments to settings (turning off the live updates on facebook, etc) and that seemed to make a HUGE difference with those 2 things alone. But I have read that the Task Killers can cause problems and that Android is suppose to be able to handle the apps on its own. (Suggestions???????)

App Problem:
My Gmail mail app is no longer updating as of 2 days ago. I can go into "Mail" and it will show up on the gmail account setup there, but the "Gmail" app which I like better because of the on screen delete and other options will not update.

All in all a great phone!!

mikebeam

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Palm Pre and i must say this is by far the best phone i have ever owned! I love everything about it! there are only 2 problems i have wifi range and bluetooth if they fix these 2 things that would be awesome.

slideways

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely love it, coming from a Touch Pro WM device, this thing rawks! I don't get great battery life but I haven't optimized it too either. It's a LARGE smart phone battery drain is to be expected. I have no issues with my EVO. LOVE IT!

izus

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
i have to physically open my exchange mail for it to trickle in...
even though i set my mail to sync upon arriving.

the tv is working properly finally after a hard reset.

i cant not get my contacts.
overall im happy with the phone coming from a blackberry tour.

just hurry up and fix the exchange server problems

Frankie_Bones

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Well I know i'm in the minority here but the evo is not very impressive for me for the following reasons:

The 720hd is very very mediocre at best
The screen is large but mediocre, mine arrived with 2 dead pixels
The Wifi reception is very very very poor
The 4g coverage area is lol
The microphone on video recording is so bad it's unacceptable
The battery life is atrocious
The internal memory is very low and to get a similar capacity to the 32gb iphone you would need to spend an additional $236 for a class 2 micro sdhc.

On the plus side the phone is very fast and android is awesome.

Last edited:

htwnrver

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I broke my iPhone 3GS contract for my Evo and I'm generally happy with my decision.

Pros:
-I love the big screen and the phone fits perfectly in my hand, the iPhone always felt a little small. I will say that my iPhone feels more solid.
-This was my first week with the Android operating system and I love it, the live backgrounds, clock, widgets, multitasking - much improved
-Love the keyboard and predictive text, love that you can switch to a t9 keyboard (that might just bring my girl into the smartphone world)
-Love the google integration especially the free navigation
-Love having both a front and rear camera (but see the cons below)
-Love the barcode scanner
-I was able to find free replacements for most of my iphone apps via the Market, highly impressed
-FLASH & Java - I can now browse the web and not wonder if the page is going to work or not
-I'm sure there is more i'm forgetting

Cons:
-Battery life is very random; sometimes I get 3 hours and sometimes I get 20.
-I'm in a fully covered 4G area of Houston via the map and I'm far from impressed with the speeds. I generally just stay on 3G and it's good enough
-Following that - having 4G in a 4g area with a 2 to 4 bar connection (you would think would be good cause it's not looking for a connection) brings my battery life down to about 2 hours max
-I'm not sure if it's dolphin browser HD or the network but a lot of times the browser will just not do anything, i have to refresh or exit and go back in.
-Sometimes (especially with 4G enabled) - the phone gets very slow
-Sometimes (especially with 4G enabled) - the back of the phone gets very warm
-Coming from the iPhone i thought having a camera flash would be perfect, but the flash is too bright and washes out the pictures
-Syncing music with iTunes is slow and was a pain to figure out - finally found iSyncr which works pretty good
-Syncing videos is highly inferior to the iPhone, no longer can I only have the last 5 unwatched shows automatically put on my phone and removed after I watch them.

They probably seem like a lot but the issues are minor and most can hopefully be fixed in future updates and new software. Overall I'm happy to have a phone that doesn't drop nearly every phone call and for that alone I happily say goodbye to AT&T; plus it's $20 dollars a month cheaper than my iphone was.

bnrbranding

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I depend heavily on my phone so I was very excited to move to Android after having gone from Treo 650 > HTC Mogul. I was always pleased with my phones, they were the hot ticket when I got them and they did not disappoint. I got my Evo on release day and this is by far the most impressive and fun phone I've ever seen.

Pros:
- Huge screen, very easy to see, can use it outside in the sun
- Excellent call quality
- Apps, apps, and more apps
- 3g screams, 4g even better (don't get 4g at home, mostly stick to 3g)
- terrific battery life, way better than my Mogul
- Did I mention the apps?
- Boy is this thing FAST
- Fantastic internet experience

Cons:
- I waste a lot of time on this phone

reverendrhino

May 18, 2010
Visit site
My luck! went to Sprint Store in City Of Commerce Ca. and nothing, rep took my # and put me on the list. 30 mins. later she called (Christine) if you buy the EVO w/acess I got you one and put you on top of the list. I agreed, mind you I paid full price but it was my Father's Day gift so, got it. I'm still stunned on this monster, all I ever owned were Handspring/Palm since day 1. So far...awesome!

CP4

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine a week after launch. Absolutely love it. There are a few annoyances -- the Seidio case not fitting perfectly, even with felt; occasional force closes; etc. -- but I've yet to encounter the perfect phone. This thing comes pretty close for me.

Jettisawn

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I am very happy. However......

The one major Issue I have with my Evo is the fact that it does not have a Roaming Exclusive feature. I know this is more of Sprints Doing than the EVO's problem.

The problem is the phone constantly tries to connect to sprint network and does not go to roaming. This not only Kills the battery life, It also is a safety issue. This is my only Phone line and if for any reason I needed to make a 911 call or there was a family emergency, I cannot be guaranteed my phone would work the way it should. I have called sprint over the past month to try and make some headway; however, I don't feel like anything is going to get done on the Sprint side.

defector

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
formerly from pre,am on the 30 days trial so far am loving this phone(evo)even tho i don't know jack about droi but am willing to learn.please direct me to threads for basic.

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Pre convert here. One week in of ownership.

First off, the battery life for this phone absolutely rocks compared to the Pre. People who are griping about EVO battery life need to try a week with a Pre...they'll come back whimpering. Loved my Pre (wife using it now), but the battery life was harsh. Thank goodness for spares and my 2 Touchstones.

Loving the screen size, and Android isn't all bad, though I'm not terribly happy with the loss of WebOS' multi-tasking setup. Android makes due though, and the processor is mind-bendingly fast on this phone. Sense makes it almost like WebOS...close, but no cigar. There are little bells and whistles that bolster quality-of-life with the phone though compared to the Pre, such as google searches using your voice, visual voicemail, etc.

Couple of gripes:
Light leakage. I could have sworn I didn't have it when I purchased the phone, but now I can see light showing through at the bottom left edge of the screen, but only in a darkened room. Makes the phone look cheaply assembled. Watching this closely to see if it worsens, but for now, it's not worth returning the phone over.

Oh my god, the video quality on this thing is positively HORRID. It might technically be 720p, but it's actually ASSp-resolution. Yep...that's my official name for it...ASSp-resolution. Viewing videos on the phone's screen, I don't see much difference between the Pre and EVO for video quality, which is a MAJOR bummer considering the supposed power of this phone and the EVOs screen size appears to be damn near twice as large. So very disappointing.

App store. Much greater selection than in Palm's WebOS catalog, and the overall quality and scope of what's available is much better, but finding stuff is a pain. I like WebOS' tag/search function, and they do a nicer job of sub-categorizing apps in the Palm catalog. In the Android catalog, there are a few categories and the apps are just sort of "thrown in there". Makes finding the goodies much more of a chore than on WebOS. Oh...and Android apps overall seem to be more expensive. For example...Radiotime on WebOS = Free. Radiotime in the Android catalog = $3.

Overall, the phone is pretty good, and I'm not unhappy with my purchase. There are some serious limitations though, the primary of which, at least to me, is the poor video cam quality. I'd like to not have to carry a DVD palmcorder with me on vacation, but looks like I will be...this one just doesn't cut the mustard AT ALL.

If you're a Pre/Pixi user, enjoy the WebOS experience, and are thinking about jumping ship to an EVO, you might consider holding off until after the first of July when the merger is complete. HP/Palm will probably be announcing new hardware shortly thereafter. I'll be keeping an eye out for an announcement, and if it's compelling the EVO might go back if I'm still within my 30 day return window. Only been a week though and I'm still in WebOS withdrawal.

I will say that Google's hiring of Matias from Palm, who was the architect of the amazing WebOS user interface, was a masterstroke. Having used both operating systems, I can say the major area where Android is lacking is in the UI. I'm betting future iterations of Android will have his fingerprints all over it, which will be great for us end-users.

tmitchell

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have it and I'm ready to toss my laptop (... well, not really)

I got my EVO for Fathers Day, and I'm thrilled with it. I have a draw full of cell phones: LG Incite (sucked), two Samsung's and my favorite the Treo 650.

This phone is the best I've ever seen. Since I couldn't wait to leave AT&T, it was a great coincidence that the HTC EVO came out.

I'm actually using my laptop less. I still use it for PaintShop Pro and for Dreamweaver. Everything else is being done on my EVO.

-Tom

tmitchell

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I have it and I'm ready to toss my laptop (... well, not really)

I got my EVO for Fathers Day, and I'm thrilled with it. I have a draw full of cell phones: LG Incite (sucked), two Samsung's and my favorite the Treo 650.

This phone is the best I've ever seen. Since I couldn't wait to leave AT&T, it was a great coincidence that the HTC EVO came out.

I'm actually using my laptop less. I still use it for PaintShop Pro and for Dreamweaver. Everything else is being done on my EVO.

-Tom

LG_bosplya

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
i luv my evo. i came from a treo 700p. i was going to get the pre. but i said i would wait till the evo came out or the new iphone. But he new iphone stand on at&t. which was a dumb move. but i got my evo. and cant put it down. i am still a fanboy of the palm. but if the android keep doing wat they are doing. i will be a android boy.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had my Android device for about 30 hours now and I really am enjoying it. It is taking me some time to become accustomed to the virtual keyboard again, but the typing experience is the best I have ever had in a device. I thought that the iPhone keyboard was snappy. I cannot out type this device and I am a really fast texter. Love the screen size, however, I think that it is as big as you can get before it gets into the area of being ridiculousness. The browser is the best I have seen on a smartphone. I have just about everything Google so the OS works well with me. The battery life suffers a little, but it isn't the worst. Camera takes good live and the video recorder seems to do the job. The phone is super fast. I still can't get over the size of this thing. The live wallpaper are a nice touch too. This is the first smartphone that I have had in three years where I couldn't find a flaw with hardware or software. I am really happy with it.

Raf

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Love it...the longer I own it, the more I love it and appreciate it. It's an exceptional device with a very reasonable price plan. Extremely happy. There's my review. :-D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogerinsg99