Exploding Note 7's???

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sadly cheap USB-C cables are a big problem since a lot do not follow the proper / safe protocols. I would suggest using only trusted brands and also if you get a USB A-C cable ensure it is approved by Benson (usually first review in the Amazon reviews).

Rob.G

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought two boxes of what appear to be fairly high-end cables from AUKEY because the stock cable isn't long enough to reach from the Samsung fast charger to my phone at home. At work I'm using a 12v micro-USB charger with the micro-to-C adapter that came with the Note 7. I used this same charger on my Note 3 for years and it always worked well.

We'll see anyway...

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Can someone comment on the charging process in general as it relates to USB-C and/or devices sporting the micro USB port?

My current thought is that the charging block regulates the voltage from the outlet, and the cable itself transfers the allowed voltage to the device. The device (and its battery) uses that voltage and either fast charges or standard charges. When the device reaches 100% charging capacity, is there a mechanism that shuts off the voltage in the charging block?

Is it a possibility that the janky charging blocks allow too much voltage through to the device that has adverse effects on the battery? Could it be that the phone cannot send a message to the charging block to stop letting the voltage through?

Wouldn't a faulty cable melt at some point (maybe close to the charging block) and not the actual device?

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought two boxes of what appear to be fairly high-end cables from AUKEY because the stock cable isn't long enough to reach from the Samsung fast charger to my phone at home. At work I'm using a 12v micro-USB charger with the micro-to-C adapter that came with the Note 7. I used this same charger on my Note 3 for years and it always worked well.

We'll see anyway...

I love everything I have purchased from Aukey over the years.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well you can't always use the cable that came with the phone, so recommended and tested cables are good.

I can't keep a Samsung cable for more than a couple of weeks on average due to a cat. I can buy a Samsung cable every two weeks and it just can't always be locked up.

Inevitable Flux

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
Well you can't always use the cable that came with the phone, so recommended and tested cables are good.

I can't keep a Samsung cable for more than a couple of weeks on average due to a cat. I can buy a Samsung cable every two weeks and it just can't always be locked up.

For awhile, I was in the habit of putting my chargers/cords out of reach, but lately I've found wrapping aluminum foil around the cord part deters pets from their biting habits ;)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
For awhile, I was in the habit of putting my chargers/cords out of reach, but lately I've found wrapping aluminum foil around the cord part deters pets from their biting habits ;)
Foil is a great chew toy for my cat. I have wrapped them in fabric tape before, but that is just too much trouble.

Samsung needs to change this or offer black cords. They know about this issue.

When Samsung makes an A to C cord, I'll use that in my car, but not at home.

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought a 2-pack of USB-A to USB-C cables from Amazon made by Cable Matters. I find the Samsung cable that came with the phone too short. The cables I bought were 6.6 feet long and look well constructed. They also have a review from Benson who says they meet the USB-C spec. I have been using them for a week. The phone doesn't even get warm while charging (not a fast charger). I always monitor the phone while using these cables and do not use them when I am asleep. I prefer the wireless charger.

milevskim

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I read somewhere that it is not a problem with the battery, as devices exploded even with another newer revision of the battery. So Samsung still cant reproduce the problem and cant find the cause or the root of the problem.
Is it possible that it is some virus or bug or loop or hidden process that increase temperature of a cpu so it is exploding?

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I read somewhere that it is not a problem with the battery, as devices exploded even with another newer revision of the battery. So Samsung still cant reproduce the problem and cant find the cause or the root of the problem.
Is it possible that it is some virus or bug or loop or hidden process that increase temperature of a cpu so it is exploding?

Software doesn't cause hardware defects...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raykv23