Farewell Optimus V community! and saynora virgin mobile!!!

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I kind of agree with Kahroo.

You have a working phone that does what you need, your computer on the other hand...
Besides, by the time you get around to the phone, something better will be out, for less. The computer won't come down or change much during that time and you will get far more from it.

One thing though, pass on the AMD and get an I5 2500k or I7 2600K. AMD has nothing on those processors. When it comes to gaming, any of them will work just fine, games are mostly video card these days, however for compiling and general computing, Intel will shred the AMD. AMD is good bang for the buck on the low end, but as you reach mid-range, Intel pulls ahead, and by the time you hit high end, Intel is WAAAAY ahead.

The cheapest 6core AMD, competes neck and neck with 3 year old top of the line Core2Quads, which is what's in the build box right now. While the build box is fast as heck, all things being equal, my I7 2600k makes that box look absolutely pathetic. The build box performs like a 4 year old computer next to the new one.

I can't even imagine what it would be like for you going from that old P4 up to an I5 or I7, you would be drunk on power.
I7 will get you quad core with hyper threading, essentially 8 cores (it acts like it).

Kahroo

Android in training
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I can't even imagine what it would be like for you going from that old P4 up to an I5 or I7, you would be drunk on power.

I know I would be. I only have a Intel Core 2 (Or as the sticker says Intel Centrino Duo) @ 1.60GHz.
This laptop was a gift from a friend and I needed one since I am jobless atm and can't pay for a new one, so not much complaining there.

tvall

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I kind of agree with Kahroo.

You have a working phone that does what you need, your computer on the other hand...
Besides, by the time you get around to the phone, something better will be out, for less. The computer won't come down or change much during that time and you will get far more from it.

One thing though, pass on the AMD and get an I5 2500k or I7 2600K. AMD has nothing on those processors. When it comes to gaming, any of them will work just fine, games are mostly video card these days, however for compiling and general computing, Intel will shred the AMD. AMD is good bang for the buck on the low end, but as you reach mid-range, Intel pulls ahead, and by the time you hit high end, Intel is WAAAAY ahead.

The cheapest 6core AMD, competes neck and neck with 3 year old top of the line Core2Quads, which is what's in the build box right now. While the build box is fast as heck, all things being equal, my I7 2600k makes that box look absolutely pathetic. The build box performs like a 4 year old computer next to the new one.

I7 will get you quad core with hyper threading, essentially 8 cores (it acts like it).

Thanks for the info.
Just talked to my girlfriend about it. She said I can wait for the computer and the phone is more important right now (might be a good idea, we are still living with her parents. And her brother likes to mess with my stuff when he thinks I won't find out. And he has a bad habit of stabbing electronics that are laying around...)

LeslieAnn

Android Developer
Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
And her brother likes to mess with my stuff when he thinks I won't find out. And he has a bad habit of stabbing electronics that are laying around...)

Not only is a that a VERY stupid thing to do (as in DEATH...), but also I would break him of that habit REAL fast. I'd mount a tazer in something you think he will stab, then wait for the fun to start. that, or just jolt him with the tazer every time he stabs anything. Either way, hilarity will ensue.

Eollie

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info.
Just talked to my girlfriend about it. She said I can wait for the computer and the phone is more important right now (might be a good idea, we are still living with her parents. And her brother likes to mess with my stuff when he thinks I won't find out. And he has a bad habit of stabbing electronics that are laying around...)

Have you seen this?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...us/?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=FzPN-45F

Its about 50 bucks cheaper than amazon.