FE (non) Battery life

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Oof. Three days in and the battery life is not good - very disappointed. Looks like it will get about 12hrs a day with 2-3hrs of screen on (email, social media etc - no video or gaming). Have checked for rogue apps and can't find anything sucking battery.

- I did update to 11 as soon as I got it; have seen some reports this is a battery drain. Anybody?
- Could 5g be the culprit - am trying dropping it down when I'm at home, but so far not seeing a difference.
- anything else to check? I've switched off 120hz and always on display.

I did notice that battery was good before I inserted my SIM (hence wondering if it's the 5g) and also that it seemed to drop when I set up Samsung Pay, but can't be certain; I may just not have noticed before.

Thoughts? Bad handset I should replace right away? Bad phone and I should consider sending it back for something else?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I did notice something weird when I received an update I think in February.
Battery is quick to go from 100% down to about 76%. But mine will last all day in the 56%-76% battery life range with heavy use of the phone for calls and emails all day.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Ahhhhhh... Interesting. I'll try letting it run down for a couple of days and see how it goes.

I also just got another Android update; we will see if that improves things at all. I've shut down anything that might be sucking battery in the background, too.

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
What a difference today! Weird. Yesterday, it had dropped 30% after 2hrs of screen time in the morning, and watching the drain after that was like a slot machine spinning it was going down so fast. Today - with similar usage - it has been running since 6.30am and is still at 53% 13hrs later.

Yesterday Accubattery predicted about 3hrs SOT and 11hrs of mixed.
Today, Accubattery indicates 8hrs SOT and 23hrs mixed.

Changes I made:
- installed the newest Tmo update which popped up yesterday
- turned off NFC
- put a bunch of seldom-used apps into deep sleep manually
- set up a routine so that 5g will only switch on when I leave the house (I'm going to stick to my first impression and -assume some of the drain was caused by searching for a network).

In any case, much happier with this! It's about the same as - or better - than my V40 if this becomes the typical pattern.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
What a difference today! Weird. Yesterday, it had dropped 30% after 2hrs of screen time in the morning, and watching the drain after that was like a slot machine spinning it was going down so fast. Today - with similar usage - it has been running since 6.30am and is still at 53% 13hrs later.

Changes I made:
- turned off NFC
- set up a routine so that 5g will only switch on when I leave the house (I'm going to stick to my first impression and -assume some of the drain was caused by searching for a network).

In any case, much happier with this! It's about the same as - or better - than my V40 if this becomes the typical pattern.

So glad that your tweaking has paid off and that your battery life has improved! It does sound like 5G could have been a potential culprit. Keep us posted on what happens!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Changes I made:
- turned off NFC

Good to hear.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Finished yesterday with 28% after pretty typical use. I'm going to spend the next few days tinkering, but seems like it will be ok. Phew! Changing everything over once is enough of a pain coming from another brand - don't want to have to do it twice...

So glad that things are working well for you! Yes, doing all that over again would be a pain! Let us know what happens!

notacoach

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Next issue is that haptics on touch have gone wimpy. I've checked all settings - and the vibration motor works fine with notifications - it's just barely there for typing. I had turned it down when I got it because it was TOO high, and now.... It's kind of underpowered no matter what settings I choose. I wonder if I accidently turned something of with the battery tweaks

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissa Oliver