First impressions of Android N dev preview 4

jojoe42

Sep 14, 2015
Visit site
How much improvement with respect to SOT have you found with N in general vs Marshmallow?

Posted via the Android Central App
I've found it to be a little hit-and-miss, although I expect the Preview 5/final release build to be better than MM. Some days I will get 2 hours, and some days I will get 4-5 hours SOT (I used to average 2-3 hours on MM).

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
With the final APIs, hopefully Microsoft will fix the issues with Cortana and OneDrive being unable to connect. One of the few issues I've has on N. It's been solid else wise.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Takari

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that with developer preview 4 If you quick reply to a text message it doesn't clear out of notification shade whereas in previews 3 it did. .

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Android Auto is broken in 4, Google Maps doesn't work on AA, worked in 3.
Update, Google says the next MAP update will fix the problem. I've gone back to Marshmallow because AA is critical for me. I miss N, I'll reinstall it when the MAP problem is fixed.

I use AA, thanks a lot for heads up...more reason to wait until final for me.

{Nexus 6P}

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Otherwise pretty solid. I do hope that texting notification shade gets fixed though.

It seems to me that Google wants android users to do everything through the notification shade vs actually going into the actual app.

Last edited:

renegad3

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that Google wants android users to do everything through the notification shade vs actually going into the actual app.

Its not that they want you to do everything from the notification, they are just giving you the option of replying without having to go to the app to do so.

Makes life easier when you dont have to leave the app you are currently in to simply reply to a text (or some other option).

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Its not that they want you to do everything from the notification, they are just giving you the option of replying without having to go to the app to do so.

Makes life easier when you dont have to leave the app you are currently in to simply reply to a text (or some other option).
No no no what I meant is there fact that In preview 3 if you have a singleton text to reply to, one you reply it auto clears away from the notification shade whereas in preview 4 it just stays in the notification shade. Trust me, I understand the ease of use as it is. It's freaking awesome.

tjrchka

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
While I dig the new features and I know it's a beta, I'm on 4th release. I have not been able to cast at all. When I try to cast anything it says nearby device as an option and nothing happens when I try.

A lot of apps crash on me. Hangouts being one of them.

I'll stick with it and see the issues resolved.

Update: I went into the App settings found Google Cast app and cleared the data. Works again! Yay

n0obpr0

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Quick toggles doesn't work the same, dammit. You were able to turn it on/off by pressing it but not anymore. Sigh

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've noticed a few weird issues:

1. When I play a specific game, after a while the phone will not play any sound. Restarting the phone fixes it, but force-closing the game does not. This is particularly annoying because I tend to play the game after work and I rely on my alarm in the morning (which will go off but with no sound unless I restart the phone).

2. All videos seem to have playback issues, including Facebook-embedded videos and YouTube. It will work when I turn the phone on, but it stops working after a while (seems unrelated to the 1st issue but I'm not sure).

3. Phone audio will randomly pause while connected to Bluetooth devices. Confirmed with my car audio and Bluetooth headphones.

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
Quick toggles doesn't work the same, dammit. You were able to turn it on/off by pressing it but not anymore. Sigh

I prefer the toggle but don't mind the jump to the settings. The animation is crap, though. Doesn't feel like a smooth transition.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Eh I like the animations but the quick toggles did change a bit. Highlighting and copy and paste works more efficiently and quicker.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think they're working on the toggles still... Because this is just redundant and provides zero functional gain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabsixfamily80