Fixed my cracked camera lens!

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I have a cracked camera lens.

I got lucky on Friday.. I got a Sprint rep to give me the store dummy Evo phone they had.
I told The rep how my camera lens was cracked. Long story to explain the details.. But the rep does business with the company I work for.

Any way.. I cracked open the battery door to find nothing like the real thing. The battery door on the dummy phone is glued shut. But it came part with a little prying.

See I read up on i-fix it on opening up the Evo. I thought it would have to come apart like the real evo.

So I thought. I remember someone on the net that claimed he took a disposable camera used from Walmart. So I went to Wal-Mart asked if they had any used. Yep they gave me two. So took the fuji disposable camera apart and out came the lens. Now it is bigger than the evo's. So I took my dogs pedi paws trimmer. And used it to trim down the lens. Matched it up to the dummy phones lens... perfect. So I got brave and opened up my Evo. Pried up the red ring around the lens. Then carefully pried up the cracked lens. As I did this it cracked in half. This lens is cheap aS hell!!. Put the trimmed down lens in place. Put everything back together. I did not need to re glue anything. Still had glue left from old lens.

So I put the seidio 3500 battery door back on. I look at the lens. Not bad curves out instead of being flat. Now the test... how good are the pics??. They are terrible!! Camera can not focus at all. Not even vigenette. But if you put the phone up to something really close the pics are super super clear. So who ever it was on the net that said this works..NOT!

So opened up the evo again and used the dummy phones lens. It is the exact same lens as the real evo. It is cheap but didn't have a choice at this point. So popped it in. Put everything back together.... Took a pic... Ahh pics are clear again. Seems to focus better like before the cracked lens.. so I am a happy evoer again..

I know this was a long post. But thought I would share this with those who have a cracked camera lens. It really was pretty easy to remove and replace.
One more note typed this all on my evo. Longest typing I have done. I actually find it easier than my old curve. But. I do have big hands.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
That makes sense that you couldn't focus with a true lens in that position on the EVO. The EVO lens is actually pretty tiny, less than 1/10 of an inch in diameter. The "lens" that everyone sees on the back of the EVO that gets scratched is just a clear lens cover. When you put the optical lens on from the disposable camera, you made a compound lens between that and the one that is built in and it didn't have enough distance to travel based on the focal length of the two lenses.

Glad you got it fixed with the lens cover from the demo unit.

smileshappy

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't take any pictures. By it is really easy to repair.
Only have to remove the battery door to get to.

Hopefully now that I have the seidio 3500 battery... I will not have to worry about the camera lens anymore.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
That makes sense that you couldn't focus with a true lens in that position on the EVO. The EVO lens is actually pretty tiny, less than 1/10 of an inch in diameter. The "lens" that everyone sees on the back of the EVO that gets scratched is just a clear lens cover. When you put the optical lens on from the disposable camera, you made a compound lens between that and the one that is built in and it didn't have enough distance to travel based on the focal length of the two lenses.

Glad you got it fixed with the lens cover from the demo unit.

::stares at illwood with blank look on face:: ...... yeah, what illwood said!! or something?

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
::stares at illwood with blank look on face:: ...... yeah, what illwood said!! or something?

Uh, sorry about that. How about this for a much shorter version.

The EVO has a tiny lens that the large clear disk on the back protects. When you put a lens in place of the clear disk, it is like wearing two pairs of eyeglasses, one on top of the other. Your eye isn't going to be able to focus through both lenses and neither does the camera in the two lens scenario.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers