For those impatient... Don't buy on Ebay!

xerexlord

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting. So you received the device and a SIM, but just never activated the SIM at all? Then called and cancelled? How did that work being that you're in the 14 day return period?

I will be receiving the phones on Tuesday, the rep is the one who suggested it, so we shall see if it holds true.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to do this once with the Galaxy S3 while it was free on contract, but they made me pay activation fees, ETF, as well as the first month of service.
So it didn't happen.

Seems odd that you would have to pay for an ENTIRE first month's service, as it is a post-paid plan, shouldn't it have been prorated?

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I tried to do this once with the Galaxy S3 while it was free on contract, but they made me pay activation fees, ETF, as well as the first month of service.
So it didn't happen.

Well I know this isn't the case... At worst you'd pay a prorated amount of the 1st months bill for when you cancelled.

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Again, you are not being careful with you assessment. Here is what I said in presumably the thread your are referring to: "BTW, he only asked for some kind of ID number to qualify me for the discount -- I gave him my building access badge number, so you don't really need to substantiate your claim that you work for a corporation or an organization with any meaningful evidence. "

I have no clue how a reasonable person would conclude that I am recommending someone to lie. The paragraph above describes a process. It is to inform the reader what to expect when ordering the phone. Some carriers ask for forms to be filled out, faxed in or other convoluted steps. T-Mo has a simper and more convenient process. What people do with the information provided here is their business.

Ah, THANK YOU. That really wasn't clear from your post here (I reread it before posting) . I used to be in the Fed too and recall the liabilities of falsely claiming government employment.

Yes, i found out after buying and signing up at a Costco kiosk that the SCCA has a better intro deal than I got. Anyone considering going to Tmobile should check all their available club discounts.

My warning about fees is that our brief cursory discussions here do not encompass all the fine print in the carrier contract. You, and Andrew, and I may know all the ins and outs of these contracts, but these posts may be read by countless neophytes who will scamper off to a store and sign without reviewing the fine print.

Well, in your other thread you are encouraging others to make up information in order to qualify for a discount. That, in most people's books, qualifies as lying. Not good.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Again, you are not being careful with you assessment.
Let's put that to the test....

... Here is what I said in presumably the thread your are referring to:[1] "BTW, he only asked for some kind of ID number to qualify me for the discount -- I gave him my building access badge number, so you don't really need to substantiate your claim that you work for a corporation or an organization with any meaningful evidence. " [emphasis added]

I have no clue how a reasonable person would conclude that I am recommending someone to lie. The paragraph above describes a process. It is to inform the reader what to expect when ordering the phone. Some carriers ask for forms to be filled out, faxed in or other convoluted steps. T-Mo has a simper and more convenient process. What people do with the information provided here is their business.
[1] T-Mobile Business service sells Nexus 4 (16gig) for $150 with 2yr contract "... Hope this info is helpful for those of you trying to get the phone."

I think you're hiding behind semantics. I interpret "so you don't really need to substantiate your claim ... with any meaningful evidence" as meaning you don't anticipate others having to corroborate their entitlement to a certain discount. You didn't say, "I didn't have to corroborate," you stated "YOU don't really need to...." I trust won't have that trouble as a civil servant of some kind, but others who aren't might get into a jam.

lev.b said:
My recommendation would be to just directly call their business line, 1-888-537-4242, and order through them.

You can wave your hands and claim you're not encouraging people to do this, but I disagree. Posting in these forums that you successfully did this, and implying that others can too, amounts to the same in my view. Claiming to just "inform[ing] the reader what to expect" and disavowing any idea of what people will do based on your statements reeks of a lack of accountability.

I'm getting a strong whiff of "troll" here. So, welcome to my ignore list, for as long (or short) a while as you're on these forums. ;)

skarletknite

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered 2 N4's from Tmobile. I was trying to buy one at 500, and was told I couldn't, but if I wanted a new line of service that I would be able to purchase it (this is irritating and unfair, but I digress). I jokingly asked about the ETF and was told it is 200. I asked if the activation fee could be waived and was told that if I cancel before even using the line, I could keep the phone and never pay activation or even a prorated bill, I would simply pay the ETF.

Long story short - this DOES work, and is an easy way to get an N4 for 399.99. Expedited shipping (overnight) was only 11.99. Regular shipping is free 2-4 business days.

good luck here, i hope it works out for you. i wanted to do similar but Tmo told me my phone would be locked for 40 days or something after i cancelled. i know everyone and martonik's brother has said the n4 on tmo is unlocked. its just what they told me. i pasted the chat transcript into another post. perhaps its not locked per se but Tmo has some restriction on the IMEI?

xerexlord

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
good luck here, i hope it works out for you. i wanted to do similar but Tmo told me my phone would be locked for 40 days or something after i cancelled. i know everyone and martonik's brother has said the n4 on tmo is unlocked. its just what they told me. i pasted the chat transcript into another post. perhaps its not locked per se but Tmo has some restriction on the IMEI?

The consensus is the phone is unlocked. I don't believe they can lock out an IMEI like that, and I am going to use T-Mobile's 30/month plan with the phones anyhow, so even if it were the case that it was somehow locked to T-Mobile, it is an non-issue for me. I'm just hoping the rep wasn't blowing smoke about not getting charged activation. From a logic standpoint, it would make sense that I wouldn't be charged, as I signed the contract, but never actually received the service of activation therefore I should not be charged. Nor did I use the service, so there would be no need to be charged for that either.

End of the day, I'll have a N4 in hand for less than the hoarders on ebay are asking for, and without having to wait for a restock from Google, to fight through overtaxed servers and wait for shipment later. That and I want to have it by Thanksgiving to make my fruit-wielding sheep family members drool with envy.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing stopping T-mobile blacklisting a phone via IMEI on their network. I've only heard of this being done for accounts closed in default (account holder skipped out on fees).

What I don't know is if this also effects a blacklist on Straight Talk or Simple Mobile customers riding on the T-mobile network.

lev.b

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
While I sincerely hope you will ignore this, I recognize that our conversation is public, and therefore I will respond.

You and others are free to use or abuse the information provided in these pages. Never did I encourage people to misrepresent their employment status or receive discounts that they are not normally entitled to. Mr. Martonik, who was slow to appreciate and quick to react, asked whether he needed a business account. I recognized that maybe others too have a similar question in mind and my response to meant to be helpful. I described the process by which I obtained my phone, emphasizing the fact that it was hassle-free to order from T-Mo. The information I provided filled a void, and hopefully will help people to get a product that is scarce. Remember the purpose of this thread was to help people to get the phone, and not pay outrageous amounts on eBay.

Let's put that to the test....

[1] T-Mobile Business service sells Nexus 4 (16gig) for $150 with 2yr contract "... Hope this info is helpful for those of you trying to get the phone."

I think you're hiding behind semantics. I interpret "so you don't really need to substantiate your claim ... with any meaningful evidence" as meaning you don't anticipate others having to corroborate their entitlement to a certain discount. You didn't say, "I didn't have to corroborate," you stated "YOU don't really need to...." I trust won't have that trouble as a civil servant of some kind, but others who aren't might get into a jam.

You can wave your hands and claim you're not encouraging people to do this, but I disagree. Posting in these forums that you successfully did this, and implying that others can too, amounts to the same in my view. Claiming to just "inform[ing] the reader what to expect" and disavowing any idea of what people will do based on your statements reeks of a lack of accountability.

I'm getting a strong whiff of "troll" here. So, welcome to my ignore list, for as long (or short) a while as you're on these forums. ;)

djmobil2

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I ordered mine the same day it went on T-Mobile and a day later they sent my a message telling me that the order was pending with no estimated shipping or delivery date. So, for me it has been another fiasco.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered one from T-Mo on contract last night, and it arrived here about 15 minutes ago (!). I was told it was back-ordered in their system, although their website wasn't saying that. I did pay the extra $12 for overnight shipping, it was a punt, I figured I'd get it Wednesday assuming it was in stock as I was told it would ship Tuesday.

Nope, it must have shipped last night as literally 16 hours after I placed the order it is here!!!

kruglovus

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was going to order online on contract (web store waves $35 activation fee), and immediately break the contract and pay ETF. But stopped after reading Terms & Conditions:
To cancel Service during the Cancellation Period... You must return your T-Mobile Device...
If you do not return your T-Mobile Device or if you return your T-Mobile Device in a damaged, altered or destroyed condition, we may take one or more of the following actions: (a) prevent your T-Mobile Device from working on any network; (b) charge you the Early Termination Fee; (c) elect not to process your Service cancellation; or (d) charge you the suggested retail price or the cost to repair a T-Mobile Device, (which may be greater than the price you paid), plus any shipping and handling charges.
The workaround is to keep T-mobile service until the Cancellation Period is over (14 days), but that's additional $30 wasted (15 days at the minimum $60 plan).

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I was going to order online on contract (web store waves $35 activation fee), and immediately break the contract and pay ETF. But stopped after reading Terms & Conditions:

The workaround is to keep T-mobile service until the Cancellation Period is over (14 days), but that's additional $30 wasted (15 days at the minimum $60 plan).

Well if you just read that whole thing... You have 2 choices. Either return the device, or they charge the ETF. So if you plan on paying the ETF, cancel right away, tell them you're keeping the device and just pay the ETF.

You dont have to wait 14 days. The terms clearly state you either return the device or pay the ETF.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think kruglovus' point was that they "may take one or more of the following actions". Meaning, they could hit you (/ me) with all of those. Conceivable, but likely? I at least know I'm on the hook for the ETF, but sure wouldn't like to have them make me pay their "full" price and / or blacklist the phone, and still not process the cancellation. Now, that sounds like a lot of scary talk, but it gives me pause... Hmm.

Last edited:

kruglovus

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Andrew, as tpd15 stated, my point was that T-Mobile has a freedom to choose 1 of 4 options, while I am only satisfied with option (b) pay ETF. This is too much risk for me.

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, the phone's in my hands, and I picked up a micro-SIM card from AT&T at lunch time. It's working well, so I'm gonna have a hard time just handing it back to them. I haven't even activated the T-Mo SIM, nor did I intend to, so perhaps I'll call them after Thanksgiving to see what we can work out.

kruglovus

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I haven't even activated the T-Mo SIM, nor did I intend to, so perhaps I'll call them after Thanksgiving to see what we can work out.
Just as a thought exercise... If you never activate your T-mo SIM, when will the Cancellation Period start (and end)? Never? Without activating SIM you cannot receive service. Without service, there should be no monthly plan charges. Can this situation last forever?

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just as a thought exercise... If you never activate your T-mo SIM, when will the Cancellation Period start (and end)? Never? Without activating SIM you cannot receive service. Without service, there should be no monthly plan charges. Can this situation last forever?
Uh huh, it's a weird one to me also. Am not sure....

My girlfriend had this exact situation with Verizon a couple of weeks ago. She'd decided to switch to them, and ordered an iPhone 5. It arrived, we were out of town, she decided against switching to VZ, then kinda sat on it for a while. Never activated, or even unwrapped the phone. By the time she got around to sorting it out she was outside their 15 day grace period. She actually had a hard time cancelling the service as no-one could find her in 'the system' as she never registered / activated. Finally she got through to someone with some access who cancelled her out. She had to pay the $350 ETF, but that combined with the $200 she paid for the phone up front, plus activation fees and whatnot, was a lot less than she then sold the phone on for on eBay. She never intended for it to work out like that, but she did make some money on the phone.

My guess is that with T-Mo, if I never do wind up activating the phone, then the grace period will start when I received the phone. Meaning, if I go to them in 32 days and say I want out, they'll say I'm out of the grace period. Just a guess. Seems kinda reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332