News Forget AI chatbots, Meta is aiming for something way bigger

taynjack

Dec 11, 2016
Visit site
So Zuckerberg is the one who is going to release the world ending a.i. What happens when a single open source a.i. is used by feuding governments constantly fighting to one-up one another. This is going to be interesting.

AlReve

Jan 25, 2024
Visit site
Don't worry, these so-called "advanced AI"s are still very very stupid. Basically, they just aggregate huge amounts of data and when you ask them a question they try to find a similar question - which has been answered by a human - and they adapt the answer so it fits your specific question.

If you ask one "what is a cat?", it will give you an answer, but it doesn't KNOW what a cat is, no more than a paper dictionary does.

If you chat with one, it has no idea what the discussion is about. You can test this by referring to a previous question. For example, you ask a question, get an answer, and then you type something like "what makes you think so?". You will see.

A funny example is the following "maths" question:
"I have a long washing line. All along, it is exposed to the same amounts of sunshine and wind. If I hang up 3 towels, they take 3 hours to dry. If I hang up 9 towels, how long will they take to dry?"
The "AI" will answer "9 hours". That is because they don't know what a washing line is.

Their knowledge is not grounded in the real world, it just comes from databases. We know what water is because we drink, we wash, we've been under the rain, etc. Imagine if you had grown up in a box, being drip-fed, without having any interactions with anything or anybody except via computer systems. Would you know what water is?