Forgotten pin code - I want to save photos before factory reset

Suba87

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
On a restarted and locked with forgotten pin code Huawei P30 Pro, I want to access the photos for the backup before factory reset.

I tried several things like:

- USB cable - can't approve storage access on a locked phone

- ABD debug - not activated on a phone

One possible thing I have on my mind is to upgrade my Google Photos storage (already activated on my phone, been working until free storage was available), and to allow it to upload in the background as I'm still able to connect on my remembered home WiFi network.

The question is can it be possible, I mean, are the services like Google Photos started in the background on the phone if it is locked by the pin code?

Thanks for the suggestions.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, but if you've forgotten the PIN, there's nothing you can do.

The only thing I can suggest is to check the SD card (if one is inserted) on the off chance that you were saving photos there by default, instead of Internal Storage.

Please register on this forum, which will allow you to engage in discussion more easily, as well as post images. https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community.html

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
One possible thing I have on my mind is to upgrade my Google Photos storage (already activated on my phone, been working until free storage was available), and to allow it to upload in the background as I'm still able to connect on my remembered home WiFi network.

The question is can it be possible, I mean, are the services like Google Photos started in the background on the phone if it is locked by the pin code?

If you cannot already view and access all the photos on your phone using the web interface ( https://photos.google.com ), than no you're not going to be able to remotely turn on the backup and syncing function in the Google Photos app on your phone. That's something you needed to do beforehand using the app on your phone. If you did actually 'activate' it however, than you will be able to see all the same photos using the web interface as it should be essentially a duplicate of your phone's photo library -- keep in mind there's a difference between just using the Google Photos app, and using the app with the automatic backup and syncing function enabled and running in the background.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Can you not enter the pin inccorectly a few times and then log in with your Google account credentials anymore?

Used to tell people to do this all the time... I've never actually done it though because I've never forgotten my PIN lol.

Suba87

Sep 16, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for all answers! Actually, the situation is a bit weird. The pin code for locking the phone was entered once, months ago, and was removed quickly as it was annoying to type it multiple times in an hour :) Other security features like face detection, fingerprint, etc. weren't activated. So the phone remembered that pin in the system but wasn't asking for it. The phone seems to be never restarted, was always charged before the shutdown, and never updated the android system, that's maybe why it never asked for a pin. One day during the video recording, it restarted without notice and after that asked for a forgotten pin. Now I have 3 attempts after it locks the tries for 1 hour.
Google Photos backup is activated, was uploading until free space was available, and it was months ago when it stopped. Now I was thinking if I upgrade the photos storage on Google, will it continue to upload in the background while my phone is locked and connected to Wifi?
I don't have an SD card, everything is in internal storage.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all answers! Actually, the situation is a bit weird. The pin code for locking the phone was entered once, months ago, and was removed quickly as it was annoying to type it multiple times in an hour :) Other security features like face detection, fingerprint, etc. weren't activated. So the phone remembered that pin in the system but wasn't asking for it. The phone seems to be never restarted, was always charged before the shutdown, and never updated the android system, that's maybe why it never asked for a pin. One day during the video recording, it restarted without notice and after that asked for a forgotten pin. Now I have 3 attempts after it locks the tries for 1 hour.
Google Photos backup is activated, was uploading until free space was available, and it was months ago when it stopped. Now I was thinking if I upgrade the photos storage on Google, will it continue to upload in the background while my phone is locked and connected to Wifi?
I don't have an SD card, everything is in internal storage.
Welcome to AC!

Can try going on computer with same google account associated on the device see what got backed up but if didn't then those that didn't get back up will be lost .

Madd62

Mr. Wonderful
May 31, 2021
Visit site
.FWIW I thought it was an interesting and worthwhile question.

If Google Photos had previously reached its cloud limit, and you later upgraded, would Photos start to upload again from a Lock screen.

Looking at Photos settings on my device, I can't see where it would reach a cycle that it would start to connect online again. My Avatar would often show a loading circle if I open Photos, but I generally don't think about these things.

Of larger interest is what is happening while the phone is locked but you have a strong signal showing on the Lock screen (if you do}. Apps and system presumably continue connecting (where allowed) in the background.

I can open the camera from the Lock screen and take photos. Would they then upload to the Photos cloud in a little while.

I'm not a clear thinker and have a shocking memory, so anyone feel free to remind me what I'm forgetting!