Free Chromebook 3 2GB: should I do it?

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently using an Acer C720 that must be close to five years old. Been thinking for a while about getting something more current.

I have some reward points to spend, so I have the chance to get a Samsung Chromebook 3 with 2GB RAM for free. It goes without saying that this would be a huge step up from this old Acer, but I'm wondering whether the 2GB RAM should give me pause. Of course one could say "it's free, what do you have to lose," but I could always spend the points on something else and buy a better Chromebook with real money.

My typical usage is your basic Web stuff: browsing, Gmail, occasional Google Docs, once in a while Netflix streaming. I'm not a heavy app user, but then again my C720 doesn't support Android apps, so that might change.

I suspect I'd be fine, but I'm just interested in opinions. Anybody got one?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For basic usage, 2 GB of RAM should still be fine. But if you start using it for more and more things, you may start to get more frustrated at what that limitation causes -- slower performance as you open more tabs. Can you use those points to get a discount on a better Chromebook, or is that the only unit that's offered?

I have an old C720 as well, and whenever I fire it up to keep it updated, it still seems to work just fine -- but then again, I don't really put it through the wringer.

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Can you use those points to get a discount on a better Chromebook, or is that the only unit that's offered?

They have the 4GB model, but sadly my points total falls just short of enough, and there's no option to supplement with money. It's all or nothing.

You make a good point, though, that as old as it is the C720 still seems to do what I need it to do. (Dollar for dollar, this C720 is the single best computer purchase I've ever made. So cheap, and yet it has served me well for far longer than any other device I've ever owned.) I'm starting to think that if I'm going to upgrade it, it ought to be a significant upgrade, and I'm not sure the 2GB Samsung would really be noticeably better for what I do. It's not like we're talking about a lot of money either way.

In the meantime, my wife and I have been talking about trying an Instant Pot. I could get one of those instead...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My attitude is that if it does what I need, I don't replace it. I still have some working laptops running XP. Small drives, small amount of RAM, but they do what I need them for. (The old 486 laptop is just "an antique", I wouldn't try to use it for anything.)