From Pixel 7 to 8A, advice?

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm debating whether to "upgrade" to the Pixel 8A from my current Pixel 7 (non pro). While I realize some may consider this a downgrade, I am not one to NEED the latest specs. I was previously going to wait for the 9 release but currently Best Buy is temporarily offering a higher trade in value for devices (in this case $205 for my Pixel 7) plus a $100 Best Buy gift card and if activated with my carrier the retail price is $100 less.

Overall it would be:
$499 - $205( trade in value) - $100 (carrier discount) = $194 plus taxes.
On top of that a $100 gift card from best buy so technically a bit over $94for the Pixel 8A.

What exactly would I be missing out on by coming from the 7? I'd be going from Gen 2 Tensor to Gen 3, no reverse wireless charging (never use it), slower charging speed. I'm not sure about cameras. I've always though the A series still had stellar cameras.

I'm only tempted for the 9 due to the new form factor.

What do you all think of this option for someone that doesn't need all the bells and whistles?

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
My question would be what would the 8a do for you that your 7 is not. When the 8 came out I upgraded from the 7 to the 8 and very happy that I did. The 8's are always on sale for as low as 499.00-549.00. If my choice was the 8a or wait for the 9 I'd wait.

Reactions: Maljunulo

livetovacation60

Oct 10, 2018
Visit site
I'm debating whether to "upgrade" to the Pixel 8A from my current Pixel 7 (non pro). While I realize some may consider this a downgrade, I am not one to NEED the latest specs. I was previously going to wait for the 9 release but currently Best Buy is temporarily offering a higher trade in value for devices (in this case $205 for my Pixel 7) plus a $100 Best Buy gift card and if activated with my carrier the retail price is $100 less.

Overall it would be:
$499 - $205( trade in value) - $100 (carrier discount) = $194 plus taxes.
On top of that a $100 gift card from best buy so technically a bit over $94for the Pixel 8A.

What exactly would I be missing out on by coming from the 7? I'd be going from Gen 2 Tensor to Gen 3, no reverse wireless charging (never use it), slower charging speed. I'm not sure about cameras. I've always though the A series still had stellar cameras.

I'm only tempted for the 9 due to the new form factor.

What do you all think of this option for someone that doesn't need all the bells and whistles?
I apologize for deviating to the 8 since you didn't even request that....:)

anthonium

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I apologize for deviating to the 8 since you didn't even request that....:)
More than anything, longer software cycle support, smaller size, and the realization I don't need all the bells and whistles anymore as "budget" phones are really good at this point. I'm also very partial to anything BLUE! The change in appearance for the 9 series looks nice but...if I wanted a phone that looks like an iPhone...I'd go for an iPhone.

So ultimately, do I want a budget device with long support cycle, or spend more for a premium device that also has a long support cycle. I think camera quality wise I would not lose much going to the A series. That's pretty much the gist of it. Just wanting some feedback from anyone else to see if there's anything I may not be considering.

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I'm sticking with my Pixel 5 so my opinion is to skip the 8a.

My P5 is working perfectly and serving all my needs. And I love the size/weight of the P5.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Agree with ras47, the Pixel 5 size and weight are near perfect, as is the rear fingerprint sensor. Still have mine (on Wi-Fi only now).

Guaranteed software and security updates stopped in October 2023, so something to consider for the support cycle as anthonium mentions.

The 8/8a are tempting now that the 5 no longer receives updates. Spam text and voice are fierce these days, and the Pixel call and text spam filtering capabilities are something I do miss.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It was reported that it was primarily to fix cellular issues. See: https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/google-second-april-patch-cell-service-rollout

I'm sticking with my Pixel 5 so my opinion is to skip the 8a.

My P5 is working perfectly and serving all my needs. And I love the size/weight of the P5.
You might want to read up on the security implications of continuing to use a phone that is End of Life.

I too have a Pixel 5, and also only use it on WiFi, but I also have a pixel 8.

Reactions: BEaRebel

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Of all the things that would cause me to either buy or not buy a Pixel 9, whether or not it looks like an iPhone is the absolute last thing on the list.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostbytes