Galaxy A90 constant prompt for wi-fi sign-in

GarethGlyn

Mar 22, 2021
Visit site
I live in a house with a wi-fi mesh system (BT Whole Home) with four disks sharing the same SSID. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy A70, and I was easily able to set it up so that it seamlessly reconnected to wi-fi as I passed around the house from the area controlled by one disk to another.

My new Galaxy A90, however, won't do this, whatever settings I use - it either pings and pops up to tell me that it has signed on to the network (which I can sort of live with), or prompts me to sign in (which I can certainly *not* live with!). I have deselected as many options as I can, but the behaviour persists - I have Wi-Fi and Auto Reconnect switched on, and also Turn on Wi-Fi automatically and Hotspot 2.0 ("Automatically Connect to Hotspot 2.0 Wi-fi networks"), but the following are off: Phone visibility, NFC and payment, Flight Mode, Advanced Calling and Messaging, Nearby device scanning.

I also switched off 'Switch to Mobile Data'. The reason for this is as follows: when I moved through the house - if this option was switched on - the instant another disk picks up the signal, the phone would switch to 4G, and almost immediately prompt me to sign in to the wi-fi network. I should point out two things here -

1. My A70 never displayed (and still doesn't) any of the above behaviours, moving seamlessly from one disk's area to another;
2. With 'Switch to Mobile Data', my A70 would just do exactly that where necessary (e.g. in rural areas away from home) and then get me back to Wi-fi as soon as I got in range. Absolutely problem-free (and notification-free, too). Could somebody tell me how to get my A90 to behave in the same way?

Incidentally, for the purposes of diagnosing the cause of the A90's behaviour, I had also switched off the wi-fi on the A70, just in case that had a bearing on the problem.

I'd very much value anybody's guidance in this matter.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I live in a house with a wi-fi mesh system (BT Whole Home) with four disks sharing the same SSID. My previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy A70, and I was easily able to set it up so that it seamlessly reconnected to wi-fi as I passed around the house from the area controlled by one disk to another.

My new Galaxy A90, however, won't do this, whatever settings I use - it either pings and pops up to tell me that it has signed on to the network (which I can sort of live with), or prompts me to sign in (which I can certainly *not* live with!). I have deselected as many options as I can, but the behaviour persists - I have Wi-Fi and Auto Reconnect switched on, and also Turn on Wi-Fi automatically and Hotspot 2.0 ("Automatically Connect to Hotspot 2.0 Wi-fi networks"), but the following are off: Phone visibility, NFC and payment, Flight Mode, Advanced Calling and Messaging, Nearby device scanning.

I also switched off 'Switch to Mobile Data'. The reason for this is as follows: when I moved through the house - if this option was switched on - the instant another disk picks up the signal, the phone would switch to 4G, and almost immediately prompt me to sign in to the wi-fi network. I should point out two things here -

1. My A70 never displayed (and still doesn't) any of the above behaviours, moving seamlessly from one disk's area to another;
2. With 'Switch to Mobile Data', my A70 would just do exactly that where necessary (e.g. in rural areas away from home) and then get me back to Wi-fi as soon as I got in range. Absolutely problem-free (and notification-free, too). Could somebody tell me how to get my A90 to behave in the same way?

Incidentally, for the purposes of diagnosing the cause of the A90's behaviour, I had also switched off the wi-fi on the A70, just in case that had a bearing on the problem.

I'd very much value anybody's guidance in this matter.
Are you using Repeaters or Access Points for your WiFi nodes?

GarethGlyn

Mar 22, 2021
Visit site
Not repeaters as such - the Whole Home system is a mesh one, so each disc has the same password and SSID, and what I don't understand is why all other devices, whether they're mine or belong to my family or to visitors, don't show the same behaviour as the Galaxy A90. It's most puzzling.

dangerousfen

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Not repeaters as such - the Whole Home system is a mesh one, so each disc has the same password and SSID, and what I don't understand is why all other devices, whether they're mine or belong to my family or to visitors, don't show the same behaviour as the Galaxy A90. It's most puzzling.
I'm not sure about a mesh system, but with access points, they need to be setup with different WiFi channel numbers. Which is why I asked the question. I don't understand why it's only your phone that is showing the the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Have you tried the Reset Network Settings in your phone's system settings?