Galaxy Nexus Build Quality/Durability/Performance

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine since early April, so almost 6 months. I use it fairly heavily, but as I said in my previous post it has a screen protector and most of the time it's in a case.

Performance seems to be still very good, although I have rooted and ROM'd and run custom ROM's for a good chunk of its life.

I find mine did develop a bit of a creak and flex, however there are 6 Philip's screws under the battery cover. Once I tightened those up slightly (1/4 turn) it stopped creaking and felt solid again.

I haven't had any issues other then that. I'm tempted to go back to pure stock JellyBean again, just for kicks.

hodan

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I am not concern about if the GN withstand any type of impact I am just interested in wear and tear on GN with daily use.

How is GN when comes to scratches,chips and peeling from being unprotected by case?

Great. It's plastic. I can't imagine peeling, it could scratch or chip, but isn't particularly frail.

How does the GN feel in hand is my secondary concern.

Does does the device feel in hand is it balanced and solid?

It's awesome, especially without a case. You need to go handle one in a store.

Is their flex or creeks you notice from GN?

Not yet.

How's the weight of the device in hand?

Light. It's plastic.

Please Post
How long have you had your GN device?

6 months, using T-Mo prepaid, $60/month plan.

It won't shatter like all of my friends iPhone 4s', lol.

I do NOT use a screen protector. I do have a TPU case on it, but not sure why, actually.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
This is what drives me nuts about Android. Currently their flagship phones are built by Samsung and feels cheap and plasticy.

I honestly got a chance to really hold the GN for myself. I have gone to VZW and played with GN. Unfortunate its tethered to the display booth without battery obviously.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
And?? What were your impressions?

I want a Nexus phone, but I am having a hard time buying the current one due to not having a lot of confidence in Samsung quality (have had 4 of their products over the last 7 years). The camera wasn't really top notch back in November. By today's standards it is lacking. It has been out for almost a year and I fear as soon as I pull the trigger we'll see an updated version.

I know you can play the waiting game forever, but it really seems an updated model is on the horizon.

Well my friend has told me this about getting a new phone. That if you don't like how it feels in the store on display then it will be no different at home. I have had two old budget phone Nokia's then a G1 and currently HTV TB. All those phones were solid and had some weight as well as bulky. I pick up the GN obviously first thing I notice is weight and that it was really light probably because other was no battery in the device. I started to actually squeeze phone in the hand to feel any flex and did not notice anything. Overall the device to me just did not quite feel right but again it was tethered to the display booth. In the end I left wanting to give the GN another chance because I like design even though I feel phone feels different to what I would like a smartphone to feel.

On a side note I have actually got mess around with a friend's Galaxy S3 and the phone felt balanced and solid. However like the GN the phone just did not sit well in the hand. Back to GN I really just stuck on the design of the GN. I don't care for the GSM or Verizon version but the Sprint and White version look great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have played with a HTC EVO 4G LTE as well and that device in compare to S3 didn't feel greatly different from the S3. The HTC EVO and ONE X just felt more solid in hand. Regardless to each is own I am just more concern about wear and tear on device. I don't smartphone after week use picks up call kinds of scratches or starts to chip like my TB.

Milo2

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello folks,

It's time to replace my Optimus T. It's not a great phone, but it did the job for about 21 months until it started having major non-reparable problems.

I like the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm having a hard time justifying the current $350 price tag. I know it is a steal, but I'm on a tight budget and I could probably manage with less, even thought I really like what the GN offers. So, the only way I can mentally justify the purchase is if I get 36 months out of the phone. I understand that many of you would want to upgrade your hardware more often than every 36 months, but can I expect to get 36 months out of the GN barring accidents? Is 36 months a reasable expectation for any phone? Would a GN have a significantly better build quality than cheaper smartphones, like the Galaxy Exhibit or Galaxy S?

Thanks.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello folks,

It's time to replace my Optimus T. It's not a great phone, but it did the job for about 21 months until it started having major non-reparable problems.

I like the Galaxy Nexus, but I'm having a hard time justifying the current $350 price tag. I know it is a steal, but I'm on a tight budget and I could probably manage with less, even thought I really like what the GN offers. So, the only way I can mentally justify the purchase is if I get 36 months out of the phone. I understand that many of you would want to upgrade your hardware more often than every 36 months, but can I expect to get 36 months out of the GN barring accidents? Is 36 months a reasable expectation for any phone? Would a GN have a significantly better build quality than cheaper smartphones, like the Galaxy Exhibit or Galaxy S?

Thanks.

That is my mindset right now expect I don't mind the price and only want a Nexus smartphone. Regardless though I do want my next smartphone to last me 3 to 4 years maybe even longer. I hope with get GN or next Nexus will be kept up to date for 2 to 4 years with its software.