Galaxy Nexus randomly turned off?

protonchain

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had 2 or 3 reboots, one while I was navigating to a place I'd never gone before (obviously, why else would I use navigation).

Once when I was streaming music at night over googmu, battery was well above 80%.

Once more just randomly.

I think there might be some inherent voltage issues? I'm not sure. I just sense that it must be something related to overvoltage because of the varied activities spawning the problem in the first place.

pppilot

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
I got my first VZ GNex on 12/16. It worked fine for about 7 - 10 days until the screen would turn of by itself sometimes while I was was using it and other times while it was laying on my desk (not timeout). Sometimes it wouldn't come out of sleep mode, or at least the screen would not illuminate when the power button was pressed. Sometimes when trying to get it out of sleep mode by pressing the power button, I could see the screen come on very dimly for about 1/4 second then go out again. When it did this, I could see the lock screen. But I was never able to get back to the home screen (or any other screen for that matter) without pulling the battery. This problem became more frequent with time. Initially, pulling the battery for 30 seconds did the trick. As time went on, I had to keep the battery out for about 10 minutes or so in order for the device to reboot!

So two days ago, I had enough of this and went down to the VZW store and they agreed to give me a new phone. So far, that problem has not recurred. However, today I was listening to Pandora and the SOB rebooted itself. To my knowledge, my first GNex never rebooted itself.

I did install LightFlow today, but have no idea if that may have anything to do with the reboot. If this continues, I will uninstall LightFlow and see what happens. At this point, I doubt it has anything to do with LightFlow, based on all of the other reports here.

Stock ROM, Unrooted.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people are having these reboots/shutdowns while listening to music (streaming or local). It also doesn't seem to matter what app you're using to listen to music. I really hope this can be fixed through a software update...

bmidd

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Seems like a lot of people are having these reboots/shutdowns while listening to music (streaming or local). It also doesn't seem to matter what app you're using to listen to music. I really hope this can be fixed through a software update...

It also happens daily to me when listening to audiobooks with the Akimbo app. Happens ll the time with Pandora too.

clicq0

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me today, embarrassingly while showing off the phone. I had just used the camera app and showed my friend the browser, set the phone down, and then my friend asked, "what's the phone doing?" I looked at the phone and it was going through the boot animation :(.

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I had the same issue. My Galaxy Nexus would reboot 2-3 times daily, no rhyme or reason. I did a factory wipe. It erases everything back to stock. Takes about 5 min. After the wipe I have had 0 reboots. Its been about a week and a half.

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine suddenly turned off today. I can't remember wth I was doing when it shut down. Lol. Pressing the power button did not turn on the device. I had to pull the battery for a minute or two & it booted up fine. I'm on Rootzboat 6.1.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
the random reboots are happening at almost regular intervals of 3-4 days now... it's getting a little annoying now; also who know if it resets in the middle of the night while charging...

anyone else noticing this? any fixes so far?

Silent Patriot

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Mine locked up and rebooted for the first and only time since I purchased on launch day during a wakeup alarm event a couple days ago. It had been on the charger all night after giving it a pretty rough workout tethering 3 PCs at a friend's place - couple doing Windows Updates with the 3rd streaming the BCS Championship.

I was also streaming Slacker Radio while on the way there and back home, but I run it almost all the time when driving. Nothing really out of the ordinary, other than taxing it to the point that it got warm and was in a fringe 4G area where it got good speeds for maybe 5 minutes, then backed off and settled in on 3G automatically. The battery was having a hard time keeping up and I did have to keep the screen off once it got down to around 10% for it to stop losing ground.

I had checked it maybe 10 minutes or so before the alarm was set to go off and pulled the USB charger after checking to make sure it had gotten to 100%. The screen went to sleep like normal when I set it down, only to be freaked out by the alarm sound "locking up". When I got across the room to look at it is when the Google logo popped up and I knew it had suffered the dreaded random reboot.

Long story longer, I was concerened enough about it that I spent 2 hours getting hassled at the Verizon store (had to call Tech Support and have them talk to the store manager to get the swap approved) and got it replaced with a brand-new one. I will be giving it a similar stress test tomorrow and crossing my fingers. Will report back if it reoccurs on the new hardware.

kedesa

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Three reboots in two days. First occurred while listening to podcast with Listen. Second happened while text messaging. Third happened while watching YouTube. All within the last two days.

I am going to start removing the last added apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lewchenko

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems to be happening to my uk galaxy nexus on O2 more frequently these days. 2 to 3 times per week. Its getting annoying. Always happens when either browsing or typing a text in handcent.
Lets hope its not a hardware failure.

Anyway... Time to let news sites know about it so google and samsung can get on the case

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Was in Pandora and in the middle of a song it shutdown. Had to power it back up. Went into Pandora again and it shut down about 30 seconds into a song. Also had to try a couple of times to get it to power back up.

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I deleted quite a few Apps and havent experienced the normal reboots I was seeing daily. Have not had one since Monday.. Fingers crossed..

I also switched off my 4G.. I would see the reboot quite often when exiting the Tether app. But the random ones during calls and anytime for that matter were coming quite often.

jerfel

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Mine just started doing it Tue 1/31, happened again today 2/1. Didn't matter, different circumstances each time. On WiFi, 4g, not doing anything at all when it happened. I have about 50 apps, but unless everyone it's been happening to loaded the same bad app don't think that's what's causing it.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Mine rebooted randomly three times in the first month (got it at launch), but hasn't rebooted since, at least not for the last two weeks or so. I can't say what I'm not doing or doing differently. There have been a slew of app updates and I have stopped using the "force 2D rendering" option in the developer settings, but that's it. Weird.

Edit: I did think of something that I changed. I just revamped my home wireless network, which my phone was connected to all three times it rebooted. Instead of connecting to a 2.4 GHz network through a Linksys e3000, I'm now on a 5 GHz network through an ASUS rt-n66u. I can't say whether that's the difference, but no random reboots since I got the new router.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024