Galaxy S II ICS released for international model

cjones

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S II ICS released

I think it will be quite a while before we see it on our Sprint phone. Carriers are awful with these updates.

I'm rooted and waiting until the ICS ROMS are super stable and them flashing them. Well, I'm going to ask my Tech Jedi friend to flash it, but still. I'm still to much of a tech dummy to flash a ROM. Can't wait fire some ICS yummyness though.

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site

I think it will be quite a while before we see it on our Sprint phone. Carriers are awful with these updates.

I'm rooted and waiting until the ICS ROMS are super stable and them flashing them. Well, I'm going to ask my Tech Jedi friend to flash it, but still. I'm still to much of a tech dummy to flash a ROM. Can't wait fire some ICS yummyness though.

im rooted too and was running a ics rom, but i was having some issues that i couldnt live with daily, so i went back to gingerbread.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Six months at least. Maybe august or early Sept. That's the game that's played

No. This time, I believe the game has changed. The ICS build for the E4GT is pretty far along. I'd say it's about a month out, maybe two tops.

silx29#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I think we still have a long way to go. Sprint likes to drag their feet when it comes to updates. they did with blackberr's for sure. Not sure about now.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Go SPRINT!!! Go SAMSUNG!!! Screw them yuppies in cupertino with a nice frozen bar of ICS......right in the frozen ilse in Piggley Wiggley!!

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Well here are some initial reports from the international official release:

1. Official ICS for SGSII looks exactly like GB I was wrong to put my faith in samsung's ability to theme...Jay you were right...
a. No drag and drop folders when using TWlauncher
2. Battery life isn't doing so great just like our leaks...so they don't tweak that.
3. Phone runs hot
a. 2&3 might be the result of ICS not being completely optimized yet.

Here is a nice right up of what the official release of ICS for the internatilonal SGSII brings. I am 99% sure we can expect the same result.
My First impressions with XXLPQ/XXLPQ/XXLPD NEE (Official ICS?)!! - xda-developers

Reactions: JayWill

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I can't say I expected anything different. They even pulled the 3D homescreen transition animations from the International version of Touchwiz as well. Except for the settings menu and the status bar icons, GB Touchwiz = ICS Touchwiz. Pretty weak effort if you ask me. Good game Samsung but you came up short.

Oh well, I'll end up running an ICS themed custom ROM with Nova Launcher and barely know I'm running a Touchwiz ROM. At least until CM9 reaches nightly status or becomes officially supported. I'm saddened for those who will never root and mod this phone though. You guys deserved more with this update. I have a feeling the official ICS update is going to be received with a collective *YAWN*.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I hope we will still be able to switch to the stock ICS launcher. That looks more exciting to me than same old Touchwiz.

Jay,

What's the deal with using the ICS launcher as far as scrollable live wallpaper, do they work or are they stuck in the same location like in TW?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Jay,

What's the deal with using the ICS launcher as far as scrollable live wallpaper, do they work or are they stuck in the same location like in TW?

Yep, wallpaper scrolls on the stock ICS launcher, but the built in gallery blows up wallpaper. However, there's a great free gallery App called Quickpic that will size wallpaper correctly on the launcher. In fact, Quickpic blows the stock gallery away.

Sent from my HTC EVO View via Tapatalk

Reactions: MannyZ28

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Yep, wallpaper scrolls on the stock ICS launcher, but the built in gallery blows up wallpaper. However, there's a great free gallery App called Quickpic that will size wallpaper correctly on the launcher. In fact, Quickpic blows the stock gallery away.

Sent from my HTC EVO View via Tapatalk

Cool, thank you. It only blows up pics though, right, it doesn't blow up live, moving wallpaper? I sure hope they keep the option for the ICS launcher in there, looks prettier to me than touchwiz.

I must say, I am pretty disappointed by how this update will apparently turn out. For Samsung to kill so many features of ICS just doesn't make sense. For them to also not update Touchwiz in any way, well, that's probably due to two things: 1. Time crunch. They had to get this out as soon as possible before the tech media crucifies them again after that huge blunder and lack of updates for the Galaxy S series of phones. 2. GS3. Something tells me that we will see Touchwiz 5 on the GS3, and they're not about to show all their cards. I am expecting an update on the same scale (hopefully even bigger) as going from Touchwiz 3 to 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thicha Jairat