Galaxy S3 text message lag

tallguy2682

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I just bought my SGS3 and really like it. I am on AT&T's network and am unrooted. However the one thing that annoys me is that when sending multiple text messages, you must wait for the first message to be sent before you start typing the second message. If you start typing the second message BEFORE the initial message has been sent, the phone starts lagging and the letters you type show up on about a 5 second delay. I also noticed that it a lot of processes are running (by alot I mean about 1.1GB of ram used) the messaging lags in a similar manner. Also, the predictive text does not seem to be on par with other devices, so if anyone has a good suggestion for a new keyboard that would be great. Please help out! I Have tried disabling power saving mode already without success.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed the lag that you describe when sending several TMs in a row. I use the stock Messaging app, but I'm on Verizon - I wouldn't expect that to make a difference but you never know.

Regarding alternate keyboards - I tried the stock Samsung keyboard for a few days but then went back to SwiftKey, which is what I used on my two previous Android phones. HTH.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

tallguy2682

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyone out there with an unrooted GS3 who can try this on ATT? I am wondering if it is an issue with my particular handset or if it is an issue known with the phone. Basically send text messages to yourself and spam it one after another as fast as you can and see if any of the text lags during typing.

b0btech

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Unrooted SIII here.works perfectly and fast for me I have Swype beta keyboard is super fast also...

sent from my SIII in sunny FL.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
could be more of an sms app problem than the soft keyboard mate.
i use Go Sms and have no problem with that

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

Last edited:

alexcatanzaro

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem on my SIII, in addition to that when i first touch the message occasionaly the screen will flick black for a split moment.

tallguy2682

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok so regarding Swiftkey 3, it is amazing. it feels just like my old iphone. Highly recommend it, I am in trial now but will be purchasing when the month is up I believe.

Regarding the sms issue, it is still going on with the swiftkey keyboard, so i am guessing it is the phone and not actually the keyboard. Alex, thanks for the input, at least im not crazy! I have also found that it does this when you are downloading an app. It is almost like the network usage is taking up so much of the phones resources that it just cant perform other tasks. if anyone has found a solution to this problem I would love to hear about it. I think i might stop by an AT&T store and just play around with their S3 on display so that I can see if their phone has the same issue as mine, I will post back any results. Mine i notice also does the black background thing when you swipe open the message alert on the lock screen. Like the background image doesnt load so it is just black for a split second.

jenny427

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same problem! I did download Swiftkeys based on your last post, but it's definitely still lagging for me. I think I need to call Samsung and ask what's happening.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried GoSMS or Handmark's messaging app? This sounds to me more like a software problem than a hardware one.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
why don't you guys just switch over to Swype? It's works perfectly...
sent from my SIII in sunny FL.

Will this address the issue regarding "delay of receiving" text messages? I get the notification of a msg rec'd ...but when I look at the actual time stamp it shows msg was sent approx 4-6 mins prior.
Not sure why that happens. Also when sending a msg, it sits and churns for a while before actually sending. Cant figure this out. I'm not a technical person, so any help would be appreciated!
FYI, phone unrooted and using stock sms app.

tallguy2682

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Will this address the issue regarding "delay of receiving" text messages? I get the notification of a msg rec'd ...but when I look at the actual time stamp it shows msg was sent approx 4-6 mins prior.
Not sure why that happens. Also when sending a msg, it sits and churns for a while before actually sending. Cant figure this out. I'm not a technical person, so any help would be appreciated!

Sounds like that is a network communication issue. Do you have poor signal? Sometimes if your phone cant sync it will have these types of things happen. Regarding Swype, I actually tried that previous to posting this and experienced the same thing. I played around more with the power saving option, on/off and the options in it and I think it gets better with the power saving off. It was originally off, but I do notice a larg improvement with the power saving off - although the lag is not completely gone. This kind of backs my theory on it just sucking so much of the resources to send data that the phone cant perform other tasks due to limiting the dual core performance. I cant wait for Jelly Bean! I think that will optimize the phone a LOT because right now it is not even as close to as smooth as the iphone 5 (wife just got it last week). Love the features, but the OS needs some work on the GS3.

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Signal seems to be fine. I don't even have anything running in the background.
I do have power saver on. I changed some of those settings... let's see if it makes any difference.
When is jellybean coming?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

nope mate. think thn guy maybe misread the op.
keyboard has nothing to do with it

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
Signal seems to be fine. I don't even have anything running in the background.
I do have power saver on. I changed some of those settings... let's see if it makes any difference.
When is jellybean coming?

is it the same no matter what carrier the other person is on?
sometimes switching Flight Mode on/off can help things like this

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Carrier of the other sender is always AT&T. And I am also on AT&T.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
what happens when you text yourself (i know it sounds mad lol)
and what about if someone from a different carrier txts you?
im 90% sure its a carrier or sim card fault (try cleaning the sim with alcohol/aftershave, i know that also sounds mad)
ring at&t and ask what the problem is or order a replacement sim.

ALSO try a friends sim in the phone and yours in their phone to see if their texts are delayed or not just to narrow down the cause

meenas9

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
what happens when you text yourself (i know it sounds mad lol)
and what about if someone from a different carrier txts you?
im 90% sure its a carrier or sim card fault (try cleaning the sim with alcohol/aftershave, i know that also sounds mad)
ring at&t and ask what the problem is or order a replacement sim.

ALSO try a friends sim in the phone and yours in their phone to see if their texts are delayed or not just to narrow down the cause

Ok so I did the dirty...texted myself! And I got the message instantly!
So what does this eliminate?
Havent switched sims yet...no one to switch with.
I guess I will call AT&T. Went to the store
And they did a software update for me.
Not sure whats supposed to happen after that.
Will keep at it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abhishek397