Galaxy S3: Weird Battery Issue

horsehoundable

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

I've been having a weird battery issue with my s3 lately

A few days ago I Iet the battery die completely as I didn't have access to a charger. Since then, no matter how long I left it charging, nothing happened at all, the phone didn't even recognize it was connected to a charger. I tried leaving it over night with a few different usb ports and still nothing. I assumed the battery had given up so bought a new one off ebay, connected it and low and behold the phone boots up as normal

Again(foolishly I know!), I let the new battery run down completely and the exact same problem happened again. It's like the battery is so dead, it doesn't have the power to even start the charging process, if that makes any sense.

So now I think it must be a problem with the phone itself as both batteries charged normally when I put them into a friends s3

Can anyone shed any light on what this problem might be? I was looking into buying an external charging device that will charge the dead battery just enough to boot the phone and then let the normal charging process take place. Obviously not ideal but is this the only solution? The phone had been running perfectly until this problem and battery performance was as good as can be expected

Thanks in advance for an suggestions/help

Last edited by a moderator:

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Weird Battery Issue

First thing I would try is a different USB cable, and maybe a wall charger instead of USB. If you can manage to get it to recognize a charge, turn the phone off and let it charge (powered off) for a few hours.

I'm wondering if by coincedence you may have issues with charging. Easiest place to start is a different cable because you said you tried different USB ports. The batteries are ok since they charge in a different phone. I would guess that you may have either a bad cable or USB port on the phone that's become worn or damaged.

As far as I understand, phones pull more current when the battery is low and reduce charge as they near 100%, at which point they switch to "trickle charge" mode. I'm wondering if between a very dead battery and a weak point in your charging setup is what's causing the issue.

As well, if you're charging off a laptop, not all ports charge at full 0.5amps. If you must use a USB port to charge, use a desktop USB if at all possible

Good luck. Hopefully someone else has some ideas too. I admit I'm making a few guesses here.

horsehoundable

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply

I've tried charging it every way imaginable at this stage. I left it overnight using a few different ports/cables and still nothing. Yet when I put in a spare battery from a friends s3, the phone boots as normal and the battery charges to 100%. Really strange

Anyone else have an idea what the problem may be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred