Galaxy S5: Bluetooth Issue

zipro

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I have just unboxed my Galaxy S5 (on o2) and was hoping that this Bluetooth issue that I was previously having with my S3 would have gone, but it hasn't.

Basically, I can connect to just about anything other than my car. When I try and connect to my car, it recognises the connection, asked for the pass code, says it is connected, but then nothing happens.

This issue is related to making and receiving calls in the car through the hands free system.

I know the issue isn't the car though, as I have tried various different handsets ,and they all work. Just not my old S3 or this new S5.

Any ideas or suggestions?

My car is a BMW 325Ci E46.

It is just so frustrating as I have to remember my little Jabra Arrow everytime (sounds minor) but when you've not needed it for over 5 years, it gets frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Gavin

Call your dealership and ask if there's a software update for it available. My wife's 2012 Beetle displayed the same behavior. After a software update for the in-car stereo, the problem was gone.

greenVW9

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I'm having a very similar problem with Bluetooth. I have a 2012 VW Jetta and my Motorola Razr worked perfectly on Bluetooth. I just got the Galaxy S5, and I deleted the Motorola, paired the S5, and the directory downloaded. However, when I go to use voice commands to make a call, it tells me that it cannot find the number and to select it from the list (on the nav screen). I have gone through every possible combination and permutation I can think of to reset, re-pair, re-everything. I just called the Volkswagen dealer, and they said there is no upgrade available on their end. Very frustrating... I gained a great hand held device that does everything I can imagine -- except work as a hands free phone in my car. Advice?

xcoyote21

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I'm having this issue as well. I have a Alcatel One Touch Fierce, brand new from Metro, and I have a 2012 Veloster. My other phones connected just fine with the car's BT. But, this phone and my car just aren't getting along. I will stay connected for about 10 seconds then disconnects, it's so frustrating. I reset everything I could think of and I'm still getting this issue. I keep getting asked to authorize a "PBAP"which I've allowed and not allowed. Something is going on here and I need to get it fixed! Please someone help me/us!

dad2noah

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Last year when I bought my first new car ever, it had bluetooth and I was having all sorts of troubles with the S3. I downloaded an app called Soundabout, played with a few settings, and I was able to get my music to play over bluetooth (playing via usb wasn't and still isn't an option). I did have to email the developer of the app, and he helped me. The app has dozens of settings to trick your phone and other devices into thinking something different, which allows things to be compatible

aqua0265

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It seems that when you uncheck media audio on the phone, it only works intermittently. Both audio and media audio have to be checked for the Bluetooth to work continuously in the car. My Bluetooth worked flawlessly with my first generation Samsung S. I drive a 2014 Mazda 3.

daveup2bat

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
In some cases bluetooth will work with cellular (audio calls), but not music. I have a 2010 Hyundai Genesis - I can make audio calls over Bluetooth just fine, but I need a USB cable in order to play music over my system, I can't play music without it, regardless of whether it's a iPhone 5s or a Samsung S5. It's car issue, not a phone issue, likely the same with your car as well.

Marta3

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I am having a similar issue however my car nor my bluetooth headset doesn't recognise the devices even if they are turned on. My previous S2 connected perfectly fine but not the S5. Any ideas?

Kelli Betz Reeves

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi Gavin, I had the same issue at first with my Mini Cooper Countryman.

However, I was able to make it work this way.

I went through the prompts on my mini control panel/dash and while doing so, repeated the steps on my Galaxy 5 to search, find and pair my car.

It took several times, but it eventually worked. Hope this helps!

raerae28

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
If you were having the issue of Bluetooth starting and stopping constantly in your BMW, then you need to install the latest firmware for the system.

If you are like me and have ConnectedDrive, then you need to visit ConnectedDrive get your information from Software Update section in settings, then visit

www.bmw.com/update

Put in your Vehicle ID number to see what software is available. After installing the latest update on my BMW it now doesnt hang during Bluetooth actions and the update explicitly states it fixes issues with Android devices updated to Kitkat as well as other things. Check the PDF below for details on Update 5021. Note: Your car may or may not use this update because its based on year, and some years and models arent able to receive up via usb. The website above will tell you that though.

http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/owners/bluetooth/pdf/Readme_UPD05021_ENG.pdf

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

richjacobson1

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Using my new Galaxy S5 I have the same problem with my 2010 Honda Odyssey. The phone pairs but when I go to make a call it starts the call and then drops the connection. Never had this kind of a problem with my old HTC Incredible 2. I also tried a call into Samsung customer support and was told it must be Honda's problem.

Last edited:

helpisonitsway

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I had the same issue with my car Hyundai i40.
What I did:
I pressed the telephone button in the car and came back with no Bluetooth device is paired
I then pressed the scan button in the car and found my S5, it gave me the pairing code
I entered it into my S5 and it all works perfectly now.
I hope it works for you also.

KhmerTV Inc

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
It is the android Kit Kat problem, I have a lexus and the BMW both cars have connection problem with the s5.
I used s4 (with old androids) work fine but when it auto update to kit Kat that when it start to causes all these problem.

Nvidiafanboy

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I have put a post in the T-Mobile forums about an issue like this. I have an HTC One M7, a Nexus 5, HTC First, and this Samsung Galaxy S5. The M7 Dev, First, and Nexus 5 do not have any of these bluetooth problems with my Alpine in car stereo it is only my GS5 that has this issue with the bluetooth dropping out for a second then back on then drops off for a second then back on again and it is so annoying. Thing is I don't think it is hardware related because it doesn't happen when I am using it to talk on the phone only when playing audio. The app that I use to play audio doesn't seem to matter either. On top of that the HTC First is running 4.1.2 the M7 is running 4.4.2 Nexus 5 is running 4.3 and the GS5 is running 4.3 now so I don't think it is an issue with 4.4.2. Here is a link to the issue that I posted up in the T-Mobile support forums. Bluetooth audio cutting out. | T-Mobile Support

Bernard Dysart

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I have found that as long as your Bluetooth is using another device uconnect will not recognize it. For example if my ear piece is on uconnect will not see my S5. I didn't have this problem with my iPhone. So before I get in the car I have to turn off my earpiece

jrowlings

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to throw a different twist on this. I too am experiencing the problem... except I get the message when sending a text message... but only if using Chomp or Handcent... not when using the Samsung Messaging app. And it seems to stop sharing only with the music and not the phone. My unprofessional opinion is that this is a Kitkat problem. There are too many different cars and too many prior Androids that worked fine. And throw in that I have no problem with a stock app. This issue is popping up in many forums. Lots of results to a Google search. My solution is relativiely easy.

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
I'm having a very similar problem with Bluetooth. I have a 2012 VW Jetta and my Motorola Razr worked perfectly on Bluetooth. I just got the Galaxy S5, and I deleted the Motorola, paired the S5, and the directory downloaded. However, when I go to use voice commands to make a call, it tells me that it cannot find the number and to select it from the list (on the nav screen). I have gone through every possible combination and permutation I can think of to reset, re-pair, re-everything. I just called the Volkswagen dealer, and they said there is no upgrade available on their end. Very frustrating... I gained a great hand held device that does everything I can imagine -- except work as a hands free phone in my car. Advice?

Same exact thing here. Same car, upgraded to S5 from the S3 (which had Kit Kat and still had zero issues).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk