Galaxy S5 resolution: Massive improvement?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
There are leaked images of the S5's specs "confirming" that the phone will release with a QHD resolution.
Do you expect it to be distinguishable from the 1080p phones if the rumor is true? Or will it only be noticeable if they are side by side?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think it will only be noticed next to another display. I will be interesting as to what the resolution is.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
But its far past what the human can see at normal viewing distance. You would have to have your eyes very very close to notice. Colors on the other hand will be improved but that's just with the screen type. But as for seeing the pixels, you won't notice.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
But its far past what the human can see at normal viewing distance. You would have to have your eyes very very close to notice. Colors on the other hand will be improved but that's just with the screen type. But as for seeing the pixels, you won't notice.

You won't notice any pixelation but that doesn't mean the display won't look better. 1080p and 4K TVs are both past the point of visible pixels yet the latter looks noticeably better. We'll see how much of a difference it makes on such a small display though

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
But that's a 50" screen though. 1080p ppi is still far less than a 5" screen. I believe 4k 50" is closer retina display PPI but I could be wrong.

Color wise, there will be a difference but sharpness, probably not. I think the difference will be a placebo effect. I have looked at the iphone retina be note3 and s4 and they both look very sharp and smooth. Colors were different but in terms of sharpness, they all look very similar.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
But that's a 50" screen though. 1080p ppi is still far less than a 5" screen. I believe 4k 50" is closer retina display PPI but I could be wrong.

Color wise, there will be a difference but sharpness, probably not. I think the difference will be a placebo effect. I have looked at the iphone retina be note3 and s4 and they both look very sharp and smooth. Colors were different but in terms of sharpness, they all look very similar.

Yeah. That's why I said we'll see if it's noticeable on a small screen. I can tell the difference between an iPhone 5 and a GS4 in terms of sharpness in most situations. Especially gaming. For anything around 400 and higher though, I can't see any difference unless I get really close

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
There are leaked images of the S5's specs "confirming" that the phone will release with a QHD resolution.
Do you expect it to be distinguishable from the 1080p phones if the rumor is true? Or will it only be noticeable if they are side by side?

With 2560x1440p and over 560 ppi its going to look clearer like 1080p looked over 720p. Some say you cant see the difference but trust me you will its going to look that much more crisp and the screen will jump at you more then the 1080p

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
With 2560x1440p and over 560 ppi its going to look clearer like 1080p looked over 720p. Some say you cant see the difference but trust me you will its going to look that much more crisp and the screen will jump at you more then the 1080p

We shall see. I don't think it'll be enough to justify the increased demand on CPU and battery

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Whenever I hear the word "crisp", I get hungry. Lol

On a serious note, I really don't care about resolution above 720p. 1080p is good but more than that is either a gimmick or an over exaggeration. Maybe I would have to see the QHD screen in person myself.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katcragon