Galaxy S6 Active on Straight Talk (ATT) amazing download bit rate?

A

AC Question

I just went from a nokia icon (verizon) and previous to this a nokia 1020 (att).. to find that on the s6 active, if i run the speedtest on ST, i'm finding it showing speeds of about 60-79 mbit on the download and around 22 on the upload.. previously with vzw and the icon it was capped at 7 or so and with the nokia 1020 on att/st i think i was around 20 with LTE..

I'm assuming this is because the s6 is using faster LTE, though way faster..

I compared a friends vzw s6 (non active) and he on verizon only gets around 7..

This is all done on the speedtest app.. is this a glitch or accurate based on the active hardware?

Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone itself is capped at 300mbps. That's a perfect signal to and from the tower, a ping time to the Speedtest server of a few ms and no traffic on the path from AT&T's gateway to the Speedtest server. (IOW, a single user on the tower, and gigabit Ethernet between the gateway and the server, or both running on the same computer.) 60mbps is a glitch, no matter what you're using - your nearest Speedtest server has to be almost colocated with your AT&T gateway. The internet, if you run a 1,000 mile path, is usually no faster than about 2mbps.

I can get up to the 40s, but I've never seen 50 (Note 3 on AT&T). But I wouldn't complain. Most downloads you do aren't going to go any faster than 1-2mbps, and that includes web pages, file downloads - anything going over the internet. (Although it keeps improving - it wasn't long ago that it topped out at 1mbps, and only rarely.) But you could download 30 files at once at full speed. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere