Galaxy S8 or wait for Pixel 2?

Chriiiiis

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I think for me the Camera matters a lot, so whichever sensor performs better in low-lighting/day-to-day situations will be the winner for me.

Marius1919

Feb 10, 2016
Visit site
Pixel 2 all the way, even thou I skiped the first, sounds strange but usually tge first iteration of anything is to put it kindly full of promise, a promis that usually matyres in the later stuff...

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I am in this same internal debate. I have been really pleased with my 7 edge...Until recently when it has started to lag and freeze a bit.

Let someone find out there is some type of conspiracy to impede performance on prior year devices just before launch of the successor. My S7 edge on ATT is updated to Nougat and it ran super smooth for a month. Now, it stutters on occasion and sometimes hangs between apps.

Could it be possible that manufacturers have some type of "service" running that changes RAM management or does some background processes that aren't necessary?

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist when it comes to something like this, but it seems to heavily go in the favor of the carrier and manufacturer. Are major OS updates like this for any other Androids?

I guess the idea is to "make" people consider upgrading early or at worst every 2 years. They want people to lease the devices, bring them back so they can be resold and jump into a new installment plan.

As sexy as the S8 is. My gut is telling me to wait for the Pixel 2017. Google needs to get its supply figured out like yesterday though.

Anthony Bobo

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been a Samsung guy since the S2. I've upgrade each year to the latest Galaxy and currently have the S7 edge.

The S8 sounds like it's going to be an amazing phone based on the leaks thus far. Do I get it, or wait for the Pixel 2? It's the first time since the S2 I've thought about waiting.

All over Android Central is "The Pixel is the Best Phone" available now. I don't believe much has been leaked about the Pixel 2, but I'd hate to get the S8 and then really want the next Pixel. Upgrading twice a year isn't financially feasible.

Any input?

The pixel is not as great as everyone says. in my opinion its an OK phone. The camera is amazing and its fast BUT there is NO NATIVE EMAIL CLIENT you have to use the gmail app for all your other accounts. Samsungs native email client is amazing and their is nothing in the play store at least in mu opinion that is as good. There is no badge notifications built in like the s7 so if you want to see you text message count or how many unread emails you have to launch the app it does not show you the number on the icon. I am not a fan at all and will be preordering the s8+ as soon as its available for preorder.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
The pixel is not as great as everyone says. in my opinion its an OK phone. The camera is amazing and its fast BUT there is NO NATIVE EMAIL CLIENT you have to use the gmail app for all your other accounts. Samsungs native email client is amazing and their is nothing in the play store at least in mu opinion that is as good. There is no badge notifications built in like the s7 so if you want to see you text message count or how many unread emails you have to launch the app it does not show you the number on the icon. I am not a fan at all and will be preordering the s8+ as soon as its available for preorder.

Pixel is great as well.Who needs Native email client? Bluemail and Outlook are great. As far as badges just use Novalauncher and have all. First thing I did on my wife's S7 was install Nova and Bluemail. IMO so much better than Samsungs.

dswartze

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been a Samsung guy since the S2. I've upgrade each year to the latest Galaxy and currently have the S7 edge.

The S8 sounds like it's going to be an amazing phone based on the leaks thus far. Do I get it, or wait for the Pixel 2? It's the first time since the S2 I've thought about waiting.

All over Android Central is "The Pixel is the Best Phone" available now. I don't believe much has been leaked about the Pixel 2, but I'd hate to get the S8 and then really want the next Pixel. Upgrading twice a year isn't financially feasible.

Any input?

Or wait for the Note 8!!!! Which is what I'll be doing!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Let someone find out there is some type of conspiracy to impede performance on prior year devices just before launch of the successor. My S7 edge on ATT is updated to Nougat and it ran super smooth for a month. Now, it stutters on occasion and sometimes hangs between apps.

Could it be possible that manufacturers have some type of "service" running that changes RAM management or does some background processes that aren't necessary?

I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist when it comes to something like this, but it seems to heavily go in the favor of the carrier and manufacturer. Are major OS updates like this for any other Androids?

I guess the idea is to "make" people consider upgrading early or at worst every 2 years. They want people to lease the devices, bring them back so they can be resold and jump into a new installment plan.

As sexy as the S8 is. My gut is telling me to wait for the Pixel 2017. Google needs to get its supply figured out like yesterday though.

Doubtful. Someone on XDA would have found that out a long time ago if there was some mysterious "service" that did this.

meyerweb

Banned
Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
This question, or a variation of it, gets asked year after year after year.

Should you wait? There will always be a newer phone around the corner. When the S8 comes out, the Pixel 2 will be coming soon. When the Pixel 2 comes out, the S9 and G7 and Moto something and HTC whatever will be "coming soon." By the time those are available, we'll be talking about the Pixel 3. You will never have the "latest and greatest" for very long.

Do you need a new phone now? Does the S8 meet your needs and wants? Then get it. Is your current phone doing just fine? Then maybe wait until you see what the Pixel offers. Is there anything the the S8 offers that will really make your life better? If not, then wait and see.

theninjew

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to pre-order the S8+ and possibly upgrade to the Pixel 2 if they expand their exclusivity from Verizon to other US carriers.

chefmorry

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone for all of the feedback! Didn't think my original post would start such an extensive conversation on the matter, let alone make the AC front page.
I'm going to go with the S8+. I don't want to wait around 6months for the Pixel 2. By then, the question will be Pixel 2 or S9. If the Pixel 2 intrigues me, my wife will take my S8 and I'll trade her S7 in for a Pixel 2.

It already works on all the major carriers. What's the roadblock?

And it is a roadblock. If it's available for sale through more carriers, we can pay for the phone monthly through the carrier and not have to shell out 1K at once.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I still prefer Samsung. even with lag. I assume the Pixel 2 will be better than the current XL I have. I got it after I turned in both my Note 7's and don't like it. Overhyped, overpriced. And with the third party apps I ended up getting to replace some of the things I missed from the Note, it isn't as fast as it would be if I didn't dislike vanilla android. Battery took a hit with 7.1.1 too. I have no doubt the next Pixel will be better, but I am not interested.Really waiting for the Note 8.

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Agree getting an new phone every time something new comes out is just stupid and an waste of money, for can buy the s8 and 2 months down an new and faster phone comes out and the all of the sudden your phone is crap, I see no reason to keep getting new phones unless your phone is slow

macikgoz65

Mar 29, 2017
Visit site

Any input?

I've been a Samsung Note person since Note was released. Tried Pixel due to N7 problems. No comparison. Samsung far superior device.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I actually have keyboard typing issue (some taps dun register) on both my Note 7 previously, quite worried S8 will have the same problem too

I think battery life and overheating, coupled with terrible charge time is worse. I had an S7 and I went back to iOS. Samsung phones are garbage IMHO.

RyanS107

Mar 27, 2017
Visit site
I need to see something really fantastic at today's launch event. I love my Samsung S5 and need badly to replace it. I have been happy with the Samsung phone in its durability but I don't know that that can justify the higher price tag and added annoyances. I like where Google is going with their software products and I'm not too keen on Samsung going down its own path in creating an assistant of its own. And for what I have read the higher price tag may be justifiable because of the better processor performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal