Galaxy watch Battery life

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
By the end of a typical 10h shift at the hospital my S3 would be down close to 50%. I wasn't initially impressed with my GW, but now that it seems to have settled in I'm down to about 80% by the end of the same shift so I consider it to be pretty good.

neoberry99

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm happy with my watch as well. I was going to buy the black 42mm but I'm happy I opted for the bigger one. I thought about buying the Bluetooth version but decided to buy the wife and myself LTE watches. She's got the apple 3 and she's like a kid on Christmas. It's been about a week now and the novelty still hasn't worn off 😊

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought bluetooth was suppose to be a low energy technology. When my watch is connected via bluetooth to my phone my phone drains at a alarming rate. As soon as bluetooth is turned off all is well again.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm happy with my watch as well. I was going to buy the black 42mm but I'm happy I opted for the bigger one. I thought about buying the Bluetooth version but decided to buy the wife and myself LTE watches. She's got the apple 3 and she's like a kid on Christmas. It's been about a week now and the novelty still hasn't worn off ������

What does she like better about it compared to the Apple?

neoberry99

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
What does she like better about it compared to the Apple?

She likes Apple products in general so it wasn't a thought as to which watch to get her. Im happy I went with TMobile instead of buying Bluetooth only. Leaving the phone at home is a plus... Especially when it needs charging.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
She likes Apple products in general so it wasn't a thought as to which watch to get her. Im happy I went with TMobile instead of buying Bluetooth only. Leaving the phone at home is a plus... Especially when it needs charging.

Oh, oops. I initially read that as she had an Apple watch and you got her a GW and she liked it better.

nofearinc

Oct 15, 2018
Visit site
I got mine three days ago, took about 1.5 days at first and barely made it a full day the second time (and on a Sunday).

AOD on, NFC and location off; BT on, I have the 46mm version, no LTE.

I've disabled Bixby auto wake on (though I would use it for reminders and such). No training activities, nor audio. I use it 90%+ for notifications as I did with my former Huawei Watch 2 and LG Watch prior.

I feel that the vibration and the screen wake up are killing the battery big time. And I get that, but while I'm not using most sensors (location, activity tracking, NFC), I definitely would expect to get at the very least 2 full days with active notifications.

That said, I have 37% watch screen time. I've installed a separate watchface which may be draining big time. Will test for a day or two before switching to a default one but I really like this and wouldn't be happy if it's that suboptimal.

tstreete

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, I picked up a 46mm bluetooth at Best Buy, and and after several days with conservative settings was getting barely a day and a half, so I took it back and swapped it for another one and the new one with the same settings is 100% better; charged it right after I bought it on Saturday and Monday morning it's at 82%. So it does seem like there are some new watches going out with bad batteries or hardware problems that reduce battery life.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I've the 46mm bluetooth version:
AOD, hr monitor, wifi, bluetooth all always on but NFC and GPS only when needed, brightness at highest.
I would easily get 3 full days.
It seems to learn your usage and get better over time but I did notice that different watch faces cause different drain and quite significantly but that would depend on what Live info you want to show

nofearinc

Oct 15, 2018
Visit site
I got mine three days ago, took about 1.5 days at first and barely made it a full day the second time (and on a Sunday).

AOD on, NFC and location off; BT on, I have the 46mm version, no LTE.

As an update, I got a full day at the office with all notifications on and 25% use.

Turns out I had to turn off a few other sport options and notifications that were draining the battery big time (such as the reminder that tells you to step out and stretch and such.) This, combined with a couple restarts and a full drain and recharge have led to a massive improvement, and I'm confident it would last at least 2 days with lots of notifications on a day-to-day, a couple calls a day, tracking steps and BT + Wifi connection.

About 2x the initial setup with just a few tweaks without compromising the use of the watch itself and while using AOD + a fairly heavy watchface with tons of stats.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Coming off a full charge for the first time, I got a solid 4 days. Coming off a full charge for the second time after the update, I might get 3-3 1/2 days.

evildigital

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
Hi all, after the update the battery usage improved a lot:
before, after 12 hours of normal use my battery went down to 75%
now after the update and after 14 hours I get 90%!

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
GW 46mm here.
I loose about 20% a day with
AOD off,
HRM set to Frequent (will switch to always during a training automatically),
Location off ( will switch on automatically when you start a training like running),
Wi-Fi to automatic,
NFC off (no use for it in the NL).

If I put the watch on the charger every day when I take a shower and put it back on afterwards, the battery will last for weeks before it needs a full recharge.

Last edited:

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
GW 46mm here.
AOD off,
Location off ( will switch on automatically when you start a training like running),
Wi-Fi to automatic,

If I put the watch on the charger every day when I take a shower and put it back on afterwards, the battery will last for weeks before it needs a full recharge.
Do you use power mode at all?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
GW 46mm here.
AOD off,
Wi-Fi to automatic,

20% a day is about where I'm at as well.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I have just got a full 4 days with my 46mm watch. It still have 12% and said it would go for another 11 hours but I wanted to charge it this morning. The first charge only lasted around the 2 days, so has improved but I put the first charge down to the fact I was playing with it alot. I have most things on, heart rate every 10 mins, receive most messages and have used it to take calls a few times. So overall I am pleased with the battery life at the moment.
I get a little over a day max. I am at 66% now after charging yesterday afternoon. I have no idea how people are getting so much. The fine print on these say the 5-6 days is on battery saving mode and normal use with most things on is about a day and a half.

Peter621022

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_20181105-000756.jpgGW46mm, BT version.
I did a full reset last week (The option to kill the Daily Briefing wasn't available where it should be, after the reset it was - although it took some time funny enough). So I disabled the daily briefing and all automatic messages from Samsung Health.
Since last Sunday I loose 10-15% battery life every day, which is the best I've seen so far.

The other settings are NFC off, AOD off, HR at frequent, automatic training detection off, Wifi on automatic, Location off, Screen activation by bezel off, I sleep with Good Night Mode on, and with Register REM sleep off.

Before I put the watch on the charger yesterday before going to sleep, I was at exactly 6 days of battery life with still 13% left.

It was a quiet week though, no training done, no playing with the watch, a moderate amount of messages, but I am quite happy with the result.

Last edited: