Gingerbread leak question

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I completely understand the directions for updating the D2. My question is though... if I install it over the stock release will it erase all my data (like my apps and calls) or will it be like installing and update (which means everything will still be there just with the new OS)?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
When you sign in to google, your apps should restore. You can use astro to back up your apps if you are hesitant to trust googles cloud.

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I've done a hard reset and all on my phone before and the apps are pretty easily restored with google. I was just hoping not to have to restore everything. I was just hoping the leak would install and just update the OS without clearing my data. I just wasn't sure how that worked.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I installed it without erasing data. It booted up ok except that I couldn't get into my email account. Everything else worked but ultimately I chose to erase data to get the email working.

For some strange reason my ADW ran a bit sluggish so I am using the blur launcher right now, which is quite good in this revision. The only other issue I had was that the first time it booted up the volume was really low making it difficult to activate.

I will say that Motorola did quite the trick with this build. It is so much quicker and smoother, plus more attractive. The brower is killer.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
So potatoho before you erased eveything was all apps there when you first booted up or did you have to let them d/l again?
Everything was there after install. It booted up, and since I had ADW.launcher it asked for whether to run Setup or ADW. I chose setup and it kinda went to a white screen and nothing, so I hit home and went to ADW.

Then it ran normally except that my ADW settings lagged for some reason and my email didn't work (it did nothing).

I went into privacy and erased the internal data. Then on bootup it ran the setup, I activated (hard to hear because of very low volume), and I logged into my google account through the setup. In my experience if you login to google during the setup it will restore all your prior apps. In the past I skipped that and entered it later and the market forgot which apps I had installed.

Apps didn't seem to start installing until I ran market, and from past experience I just let it go until it completed all downloads. Keep in mind that most apps won't remember your settings so you'll have to set them up again. That part seems to be getting better, and some apps have their own options to save/restore settings so it isn't so bad if you've done it before.

The browser did remember my bookmarks which is cool. Perhaps it always does that but I was used to losing them in a third-party browser before I started using stock again.

The only other thing was to choose my ringtone again and set up google voice.

darrylmendo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
potatoho, I read in the forum of the source link for the leak that some people were saying that they experienced a low volume when using speaker phone. Have you experienced that also?

If so, is it just when on phone calls or whenever you're using speaker?

Any other points of interest?

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
potatoho, I read in the forum of the source link for the leak that some people were saying that they experienced a low volume when using speaker phone. Have you experienced that also?

If so, is it just when on phone calls or whenever you're using speaker?

It happened to me during the first activation call. Both the speaker and non-speaker volume was ridiculously low, like inaudible. After activation and reboot etc it's fine now. I don't notice a difference in the levels if there are any, it's just that one time where obviously something was broke.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
So far here are my observations:

1) Setup wouldn't run unless I erased data. Similar issue with email.
2) Very low volume during activation call. Just barely audible. Seems ok now.
3) ADW.launcher runs sluggish for some reason. It seemed ok with default settings but when I restored my custom settings it got laggy.
4) Love the new task switcher (home hold) because you can switch categories and launch anything. However, it complains about some recent apps when I try to switch. Tapatalk for one.
5) Slight display discrepancy I have seen on some screens.
6) Easy access to manage apps from launcher menu -- sweet.
7) JuiceDefender not 100% capable with Gingerbread yet, as it complains about not being able to control data sync setting. I'm still using it to control wi-fi and other things.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I must admit I was rather blindsided by the announcement that there is in fact Gingerbread for the D2.

Any rough guess as to when Gingerbread will come out as an OTA update for those of us who don't want to mess with SBF and ROMs?

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
probably at least a month, as Droid-life's spotted on twitter that verizon rejected this update for the Droid X due to bugs and this is the same build as the Droid X version.

Kave_in

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Um, I installed the update, this was my first time rooting or installing anything outside the market, I followed the directions verbatum, unfortunately I cant get to blur home now, I cant use any home screens at all unless I have launcher pro installed, which was a beast in its own right getting it done. Any fixes for that?

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Usually that means that launcher pro has the preference for the home intent. Try finding launcher pro in Manage Apps and push the "Clear defaults" button. Then the next time you hit the home button it should ask for the default launcher.

silverfang77

Lone Wolf
Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
probably at least a month, as Droid-life's spotted on twitter that verizon rejected this update for the Droid X due to bugs and this is the same build as the Droid X version.

They could just allow it and then fix the bugs with future updates.

Tappin' and Talkin' with Tapatalk

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
Um, I installed the update, this was my first time rooting or installing anything outside the market, I followed the directions verbatum, unfortunately I cant get to blur home now, I cant use any home screens at all unless I have launcher pro installed, which was a beast in its own right getting it done. Any fixes for that?

The way blur works is if there is an alternate launcher installed it gets absolute control. So the only way for you to use the Blur Home launcher on your Froyo or Gingerbread build is to uninstall your alternate.

potatoho

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
They could just allow it and then fix the bugs with future updates.
The end product is good but a lot of the bugs I've seen are related to the setup procedure.

I just went through this three times today because I chose the wrong file. Here are some show stoppers from the install..

1) Activation call having inaudible volume.
2) Asks whether you want Backup Assistant and when you choose No it still prompts you for a PIN. The PIN prompt is nonsensical in landscape mode which probably everyone is in at that point.
3) Restoring Google apps is hit or miss, sometimes they get stuck downloading especially if you activate wi-fi during the process, but that is a continuing bug. Very irritating because you sometimes have to babysit each download. A reboot often works though.
4) If you don't wipe data it can be really flaky, especially at first bootup, and I don't think they've had an update yet where you needed to wipe data.
5) The initial charge indication seems off a bit. It could be that all that burning used up the power, but it just *seems* that the calibration is off at first.

I would say #1 and #4 are the biggest show stoppers though. Perhaps each device is different but I've activated 4 times now and each time it has happened.

mcochon

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Everything seems to be running smooth on GB. The only issue i have is that my headphone jack is not working. Even with headphones plugged in the music still comes from the phones speaker.