Google needs to take a lesson from Apple

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I am way more worried about Apple and Facebook collecting every single thing you do rather than Google.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Curious.. why?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I've said it before.

I'll say it again.

With Google's Android already winning the marketshare battle, Google is already getting what it wants out of Android - YOU. Your information. Your data. Your habits. Your location.

If Google wants the Nexus brand to be the Android brand, they'll play nice with the carriers. If they don't want to give in, other OEMs will step up to bat with Android-based offerings. As long as those devices still ship with Google services, Google is still getting what they want out of Android.

Does Google want to compete with OEMs that use Android? Or are they content developing the Android software that hardware OEMs take and bundle with Google services?

Don't care. Google can have all my information.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
What do you mean? You can pay full price and take it to any carrier it can work on and you can do that today.

No you can't. If you take an Iphone to at&T's monthly service you can't get a data plan because apple blocks it. I'm sure at&t is not the only one either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Curious.. why?

Google has a reason and they don't lie or avoid telling people what they collect. Apple tracks almost everything and it's buried so know one knows. Facebook is a social media website they don't need to know anything that I don't put on my page or post on my behalf. Not sure if you are aware of how much these companies track everyone but they go way beyond what they should. Google on the other hand will provide and benefit you with the info they collect and have no problem letting you not be tracked or able to opt out of things. Apple I can see why they would need info but Facebook is way out of hand with what they do. The thing about Apple is they don't make clear how much info they collect.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
No you can't. If you take an Iphone to at&T's monthly service you can't get a data plan because apple blocks it. I'm sure at&t is not the only one either.

If I go to Apple and buy a iPhone compatible with AT&T, I can activate it on AT&T (with a data plan) just fine. I really don't know what you're getting at.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Google has a reason and they don't lie or avoid telling people what they collect. Apple tracks almost everything and it's buried so know one knows. Facebook is a social media website they don't need to know anything that I don't put on my page or post on my behalf. Not sure if you are aware of how much these companies track everyone but they go way beyond what they should. Google on the other hand will provide and benefit you with the info they collect and have no problem letting you not be tracked or able to opt out of things. Apple I can see why they would need info but Facebook is way out of hand with what they do. The thing about Apple is they don't make clear how much info they collect.

Let me just point out Google's Streetview/WiFi issue. I'll leave it at that.

The thing about Facebook is that they are a social media site. Of course it's about the user data. lol.

sanman202

Nov 12, 2011
Visit site
Would never happen. Why? You shutout commerce for the wireless carriers. You would see less phones than we even see now with the latest and greatest version of Android. There is big money involved with customizing each version of Android with bloatware. Unfortunately, it's not always about the user experience when it comes to corporate money. You have the pay for those expensive suits somehow when you're an exec. If there is just one new Nexus device per year made by any one of the larger mfgs then that's fine. With the buying of Motorola there will more than likely be a Motorola Nexus handset coming out eventually. Will this be the only Nexus device? Probably not! Remember, the more mfgs devices that Android is on the more exposure and activations Google gets for Android.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Unchanged design? Ugh.
As boring as Annoying Orange's life.

Blazing on my Nexus Prime

Well, I know what you're saying there. But what I meant was make them so docks and some other accessories will still work. Take a look at the HTC Rezound I had. Gorgeous phone, loved it when I wasn't dropping data connections. If I had bought a dock for it then decided I wanted the newest HTC, the one x, I would be looking for yet another new dock. Why? Because HTC went and moved the charge port to the other side, changed volume rocker to other side and moved the sleep button and headphone jack as well. Why??? If they had not done that, the one x would fit into a dock for the Rezound.

Everyone was up in arms over Apple changing the charge port on the new Five. Now all the accessories garnered over the years are obsolete and now they have to buy new ones. The adapters won't help I don't think...but who knows, you can't get them yet!

I have seriously thought of selling this Five. It is Verizon and 64gb so I think I could do well seeing as how the demand is still there. But what android would I get?? The Nexus has reportedly pitiful camera and weak radio. The weak radio I know is true. That was why I got the Rezound. I could set next to co worker with his Nexus. He had zero to little signal while the Rezound was doing fine. But the Rezound drops data all the time. I don't like motorola or lg. the s3 is then the only real choice left, but they are fragile and don't have jelly bean.

With all the android choices, there still is currently not anything I would sell this iPhone for. Not that this phone is sooooo great. I am not that impressed with it. But to go thru all the time and trouble to so it and go buy another phone, well just not worth it to ME.

Now, if google would have a better nexus, with better hardware and the control over bloat and updates, ala iPhone, I would be all over it.

The final problem for me is CDMA. I am getting tired of that crap. I wish I had gone with AT&T all those years ago. I am sticking with Verizon for now. I have unlimited data on two lines, not willing to give that up. But if and when they take that from me, I'm gone! LOL.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Would never happen. Why? You shutout commerce for the wireless carriers. You would see less phones than we even see now with the latest and greatest version of Android. There is big money involved with customizing each version of Android with bloatware. Unfortunately, it's not always about the user experience when it comes to corporate money. You have the pay for those expensive suits somehow when you're an exec. If there is just one new Nexus device per year made by any one of the larger mfgs then that's fine. With the buying of Motorola there will more than likely be a Motorola Nexus handset coming out eventually. Will this be the only Nexus device? Probably not! Remember, the more mfgs devices that Android is on the more exposure and activations Google gets for Android.

Yep. It's about Google getting your information.

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Google collecting information (no matter what or how little) is the reason I don't want to make a Google+ account. Call me paranoid but I don't like giving my name to anyone online other than my bank and my university, haha

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Google collecting information (no matter what or how little) is the reason I don't want to make a Google+ account. Call me paranoid but I don't like giving my name to anyone online other than my bank and my university, haha

So much for accepting the inevitable.

Bring out the tinfoil hats and koolaid

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Blaqhawk

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I wanted to say it...

If only Google would take a look at Apple. Why can't Google build their own iPhone? The Nexus could quickly bring android and Google to par (in consumers eyes) with Apple and iOS if only they would build their own phone. I know they are now, but they're not being consistent. If they would pick ONE manufacturer to build the phones and keep them pure ANdroid, no carrier crAp, just like the iPhone. Also, all updates straight through Google no updates to the manufacture. Just like Apple on the iPhone.

The one thing apple has going for it is the phones, released just once a year, are essentially the same in build. Meaning cases and docks will work each year for the new phone. Why can t google do the same? Something like that would Definitely bring me back to the android fold.

Just a few thoughts.

Don't think this is meant to bash you as it's not....

Stick with your iCrap buddy. Fit and finish could be a bit better, but other than that. There isn't a singly thing the iPhone has got over my One year old Gnex. In fact, I've got options (like NFC) that apple didn't even include. iPeople like you well buy anything Apple announces. If they don't "have-to-have" the latest and greatest Apple product, then they can and should be converted to Android. I'm extremely disappointed that the new iPhone doesn't have NFC. Not because I wanted an iPhone (I'd never own another one), but because the fact remains that there are a lot of iPhones out there and NFC being in all those additional devices would only be good for the technology.

Sent from my Gnex via TapaTalk

tweazer

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Not Bashing ? Give er another kick Newt cause she ain't dead yet.

Geez man give it up. If there were no iPhone then there may have never been an Android. Apple is good competition. In fact they have a great user experience. I have a SG3 and an iPhone4 and I can tell you that most girls or non-tech guys that ask me what phone they should get it is NOT Android. After owning a SG3 for several weeks I became aware that the Android platform if far superior to Apple but the iPhone just works. It accomplishes complex tasks with simplicity. I think that is the goal with smart phones. I do think the Apple's user interface is dated and that IOS5 was a fail since not enough of the user interface changed.

Apple needs:
scalable size icons eg larger icons for visually impaired
more options for screen icon layouts such as scaled 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 or 5x5
Widgets
More options for contacts such as Groups

Android needs:
more security for user choice - tell me exactly what i give up with permissions
PayPal accepted on the Play store
Play Store cards available - everywhere
A cozy feeling for people using the play store and buying aps.
Make App users feel better by eliminating the 20 page BS agreements that accompany most apps & the off site Privacy Agreements.
There needs to be a unified Google agreement that covers everything. GOOGLE PLEASE FIX the LEGAL IN SOFTWARE FOR USERS WORLDWIDE. Google lawyers should be ale to figure this out.

These sound very similar when laid out like this but that is not at all the case.

Don't think this is meant to bash you as it's not....

Stick with your iCrap buddy. Fit and finish could be a bit better, but other than that. There isn't a singly thing the iPhone has got over my One year old Gnex. In fact, I've got options (like NFC) that apple didn't even include. iPeople like you well buy anything Apple announces. If they don't "have-to-have" the latest and greatest Apple product, then they can and should be converted to Android. I'm extremely disappointed that the new iPhone doesn't have NFC. Not because I wanted an iPhone (I'd never own another one), but because the fact remains that there are a lot of iPhones out there and NFC being in all those additional devices would only be good for the technology.

Sent from my Gnex via TapaTalk

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

You should probably stop using your phone and paying your taxes too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Not Bashing ? Give er another kick Newt cause she ain't dead yet.

Geez man give it up. If there were no iPhone then there may have never been an Android. Apple is good competition. In fact they have a great user experience. I have a SG3 and an iPhone4 and I can tell you that most girls or non-tech guys that ask me what phone they should get it is NOT Android. After owning a SG3 for several weeks I became aware that the Android platform if far superior to Apple but the iPhone just works. It accomplishes complex tasks with simplicity. I think that is the goal with smart phones. I do think the Apple's user interface is dated and that IOS5 was a fail since not enough of the user interface changed.

Apple needs:
Widgets
More options for contacts such as Groups

Android needs:
more security for user choice - tell me exactly what i give up with permissions
PayPal accepted on the Play store
Play Store cards available - everywhere
A cozy feeling for people using the play store and buying aps.
Make App users feel better by eliminating the 20 page BS agreements that accompany most apps & the off site Privacy Agreements.
There needs to be a unified Google agreement that covers everything. GOOGLE PLEASE FIX the LEGAL IN SOFTWARE FOR USERS WORLDWIDE. Google lawyers should be ale to figure this out.

These sound very similar when laid out like this but that is not at all the case.

Apex or Nova launcher allows you to have whatever icon layout you want. Whenever you install an app it clearly shows exactly what security permissions you allow the app to have.

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums

crackberrytraitor

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Where are you all heading for the Winter? Heading to Spain and France in a couple weeks. I may even stop by Scotland and say hi to Funky.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I think some misunderstood me, or I wasn't clear. When I stated the google needed to act like apple, I mean in overl business sense.

I meant they should copy apple in bringing one phone out a year, with too notch hardware and software. No branding, no carrier crap (no bloat ware, no software update bull...). I realize they do this somewhat now, but I think they can do even better.